Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You mean aside of the multiple pre-season games he played in?

those don't count. they don't get paid for those. they don't count against the salary cap.

GOON...call it what you want. I was ridiculed for suggesting Erskine would spend the season on LTIR. I said he returned from an injury last season. Played two games and then sat out the rest of the season. He has played two games since March 5 2013 and not one since April 1.

I couldn't say what the plan was. But here it is. Read Trotz comments.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
those don't count. they don't get paid for those. they don't count against the salary cap.

GOON...call it what you want. I was ridiculed for suggesting Erskine would spend the season on LTIR. I said he returned from an injury last season. Played two games and then sat out the rest of the season. He has played two games since March 5 2013 and not one since April 1.

I couldn't say what the plan was. But here it is. Read Trotz comments.

Predicting Erskine wouldn't be in the Caps plans this year was not really a big stretch. I don't think many here disagreed, especially after the offseason moves. Certainly not massive backlash.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I think many here thought he was going to replace Carlson on the top pairing. Massive backlash is an understatement.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

When you're conjuring up injury concerns, they certainly do. If it was in the Caps brass' plans to tuck Erskine away due to injury, they wouldn't have risked aggravating the injury further by putting him on the ice and they certainly wouldn't have waited until a couple weeks into the season before opting for the surgery and LTIR.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
who knows. trotz said this was not a new injury and he "irritated it" in practice. so...take from it what you want. he hadn't played a game. he wasn't going to play a game and is suddenly on LTIR.

whatever. onward.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Predicting Erskine wouldn't be in the Caps plans this year was not really a big stretch. I don't think many here disagreed, especially after the offseason moves. Certainly not massive backlash.

ok...whatever you say. maybe I don't recall correctly those complaining that he hadn't been bought out. my scenario for that was LTIR. I don't recall getting much support for that idea. maybe you agreed and I missed it.

maybe there were others other than BR that agreed with me and I forgot. that's great.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
who knows. trotz said this was not a new injury and he "irritated it" in practice. so...take from it what you want. he hadn't played a game. he wasn't going to play a game and is suddenly on LTIR.

whatever. onward.

According to both WaPo and capgeek, he's not on LTIR, just regular IR.
The team has described him as a "healthy scratch" during the initial 5 games of the season.
Trotz specifically said that Erskine's neck condition "sort of got irritated."
Contrary to what you believe, pre-season games are in fact games, and players can get hurt in them. Teams also typically don't let their injured guys risk further injury during exhibition games.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So I have something for everyone to maybe think about...

Schmidt has been awesome this year and has looked like he belongs in the NHL. Not sure if Mike Green has been THAT good that he's making his partner look good or if Schmidt being steady has helped Green be more active and effective. Who knows?

What if Orlov returns and can't outplay Schmidt or just isn't a good fit. Would you be willing to package him(Orlov) with a pick or prospect(or possibly even Joel Ward considering his contract is expiring) to return a scoring RWer?

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010

Schmidt has been awesome this year and has looked like he belongs in the NHL. Not sure if Mike Green has been THAT good that he's making his partner look good or if Schmidt being steady has helped Green be more active and effective. Who knows?

What if Orlov returns and can't outplay Schmidt or just isn't a good fit. Would you be willing to package him(Orlov) with a pick or prospect(or possibly even Joel Ward considering his contract is expiring) to return a scoring RWer?

Depends who it is.

Would rather package something for a 2C so we could move Kuz to the first line and have Bura anchor the third.

But yeah, we need a top line RW.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It appears that RMNB is expecting LTIR for Erskine, not that he has been placed there.
As for not playing injured players in pre season. Didn't Erskine tell Oates he was not ready to play recovering from knee surgery and Oates told him to play?

Wouldn't this also be a good reason why the Caps have kept him rather than buy him out?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I can't think of a reason they wouldn't just put him on LTIR instead of regular IR, unless there's some sort of weird salary difference where he gets less money or something. In either case they can put him on LTIR retroactively to when he originally went on IR so it really doesn't make a difference from Caps standpoint.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Wow...this is out of left field.

Lets see...could it POSSIBLY be that Green has made Schmidt look good????

I mean last year the possession numbers of both Orlov and Schmidt skyrocketed playing besides Green and were much worse without him. Could that have possibly carried over from then??

Anyhow..you want to trade Orlov for a RWer???? The one position we are MOST stacked at you want to bolster?

None of this really computes.

Halpysback*

Trade Carlson, resign Green and let Schmidt-Orlov be the #3 pairing for next year

Alzner-Niskanen
Orpik-Green
Schmidt-Orlov

Still a more than solid D if Orpik holds up, get someone like Petry for depth/to solidify it further. Carlson can return a king's ransom up front that we need since we still have trouble offensively and he's been inconsistent for a while, rest of the D can cover him. Have someone like Edmonton give up a Pejorative Slured amount for him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its a pattern. Green had those Norris Trophy nominations because Morrisonn and Schultz made him look so good.

Edit: Schmidt and Orlov would be a solid 3rd pair. Schmidt is going to be a good player. The Caps shouldn't trade Carlson or let Green walk. They have a quality defense now. I am good with it as it is.

I might like to see some adjustment in ice time but even that I am more than willing to let pass for now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Anyhow..you want to trade Orlov for a RWer???? The one position we are MOST stacked at you want to bolster?

None of this really computes.
Having four third-line RWs is pretty much the opposite of stacked.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Having four third-line RWs is pretty much the opposite of stacked.

Brouwer and Ward both scored about 25 goals last year. They ranked 14th and 16th for RWers in that category.

2 top 6 RWers per team means 60 total. They finished in the top 25 percentile playing behind Ovie and with Oates as the coach.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
With great credit going to their placement on the PP, especially Brouwer where roughly half of those goals were tallied.

There is no existing dynamic 5-on-5 RW option unless they want to put Kuznetsov there. Everyone else is at best a vanilla placeholder. (Not tha 8/19 have been dazzling either. Vanilla is all too prevalent.)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
With great credit going to their placement on the PP, especially Brouwer where roughly half of those goals were tallied.

There is no existing dynamic 5-on-5 RW option unless they want to put Kuznetsov there.

Was Knuble "dynamic"?

Our whole team struggled at ES last year in large part due to Oates. And since when did PP goals not count?

We are stacked at RW. Brouwer/Fehr/Ward/Wilson is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad