Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Because an obviously bad team with a bad coach that's lucky to have so many points through November is not the same as an obviously better team with a new, experienced coach just getting things going in October.

Oh wait, you knew that and were just baiting people along with tx. Hhahahhhaa.

It goes more to the point of finding something..anything..to complain about when there is so much positive to focus on ATM. Just comes across as nit picking when it comes to the salary of Laich, signing of Orpik and stuff like the Forsberg trade that people still lament about.

Caps underlying numbers are stronger this year than they have been since 09-10. Yes its a small sample size but you can't help but get encouraged. Yet there seems to be far more "negative" talk.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It goes more to the point of finding something..anything..to complain about when there is so much positive to focus on ATM. Just comes across as nit picking when it comes to the salary of Laich, signing of Orpik and stuff like the Forsberg trade that people still lament about.

Caps underlying numbers are stronger this year than they have been since 09-10. Yes its a small sample size but you can't help but get encouraged. Yet there seems to be far more "negative" talk.

No there is not more "negative" talk. You dislike negative talk so it stands out to you. There's plenty of positive talk, more so than usual.

What I see is a little nitpicking by some, fanboy complaining about line assignments, and the ongoing debates about certain "core" players with big contracts and uncertain futures. Nothing unusual about that and certainly no reason for you and tx to hijack discussions with sarcastic red herring arguments.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No there is not more "negative" talk. You dislike negative talk so it stands out to you. There's plenty of positive talk, more so than usual.

What I see is a little nitpicking by some, fanboy complaining about line assignments, and the ongoing debates about certain "core" players with big contracts and uncertain futures. Nothing unusual about that and certainly no reason for you and tx to hijack discussions with sarcastic red herring arguments.

Clearly you are jealous about my seering sarcastic abilities.

There is usually very little positive talk so anything is an upgrade really!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The number of injuries is not as important as the impact. Next.

why, that's true. I just responded to the actual quote where he said injuries in the plural. as if he is a Mike Green list of injuries. What is the impact of Laich's groin injury on his current game? I see rust. Nothing more.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Barring extensive injuries I don't see us making any moves this year at the TDL.

Hopefully Laich isn't out too long but that upper body stuff is better than it being that pesky groin thing.

Hopefully Wilson is ready. I would think Kuznetsov will be bumped up and Latta/Beagle filling in at 4C.

But does Trotz want 2 rooks on the 2nd line? If not then maybe Brouwer back to 2RW and Kuz to 1RW. It will be interesting to see how it plays out if Laich is out.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ok,gooner. I am open to your advice. I have no issue with Laich's play so far this season. how can I express that without trolling? what am I doing wrong, so that I can fix it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
ok,gooner. I am open to your advice. I have no issue with Laich's play so far this season. how can I express that without trolling? what am I doing wrong, so that I can fix it.

article-0-0290058B00000578-290_468x286.jpg

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Forget Laich's salary cap. Forget his stats.

Lets go with the eye test. You think his play has been fine so far this year? Personally I think its been subpar. He doesn't seem to win along the boards much. He just kind of vanishes out there, haven't seen him do anything of worth offensively. He is pretty darn good on the PK though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The eye test told me that Laich wasn't the issue on the Chimera-Laich-Ward line. He was the one hustling the most among those three, and the one capable of gaining the zone. As a unit, they weren't meshing, but I wouldn't put it on Laich. Chimmer and Ward stepped up their play in the last couple games.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Forget Laich's salary cap. Forget his stats.

Lets go with the eye test. You think his play has been fine so far this year? Personally I think its been subpar. He doesn't seem to win along the boards much. He just kind of vanishes out there, haven't seen him do anything of worth offensively. He is pretty darn good on the PK though.

Laich has seemed pretty good to me. I thought he has won his fair share of board battles in fact.

He's a better winger than C.

Last edited by a moderator:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ive said this over and over again over the last number of years. Laich doesn't have the skills to create plays from center in open ice. He is purely a dump and chase player. His offensive skills from the half board down are far better, which is why he translates on the wing better offensively.

Johansson and Bura have looked good with him. Laich has an assist and was oftely close to a goal vs FLA.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
beagle to the 2nd line with bura and mojo, ewwww... but in trotz we trust.

@VogsCaps
Beagle will return to lineup in Laich's spot on right side of line with 90 and 65; can offer added right dot face-off support. #Caps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

@VogsCaps
Beagle will return to lineup in Laich's spot on right side of line with 90 and 65; can offer added right dot face-off support. #Caps

I think every one would rather see Kuz there but if they are hell bent on developing him as a center i guess he has to stay on the scrub line.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I think every one would rather see Kuz there but if they are hell bent on developing him as a center i guess he has to stay on the scrub line.

@alex_prewitt
Sounds like Beagle will skate beside 90/65 tomorrow, but Trotz said "I’ve got Plan B in order if it’s not working as well as I’ve thought."

:handclap::handclap: maybe thats it.

Burakovsky95*

News flash Barry, that Plan B is going to become Plan A in maybe half a period.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
How the f does Beags keep finding himself in the top lines? I like the guy and all but he's purely a 4th line player.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
News flash Barry, that Plan B is going to become Plan A in maybe half a period.

Hey now... Beagle was a 1C for quite some time. :sarcasm:

also..

@VogsCaps
Jay Beagle has been tutoring Burakovsky on face-offs. Beagle hoping to play his 1st-ever game in his hometown of Calgary on this trip. #Caps

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

@VogsCaps

Well thats interesting.

Guess he really wants a defensive conscious on that line.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
How many goals has cap space scored this season?

The same as Laich?

What a silly comment. For such a debate king, this is shoddy work from you.

If you'd rather have 4.5m taken up by a non performer, vs having the ability to actually improve he lineup via trade by having cap space, then we will simply not agree.

Plus a 1m or sub player into that 4.5m slot, as we have too many forwards as it is, and then use the cap space to improve the team. You were SO upset about the Caps use of their cap space in Nikanen and Orpik (who are performing well, save a game from Orpik), yet it's ok to waste 4.5m on Laich.

Talk about your dichotomies in thinking.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Due to "his injuries". See that's the thing I don't get. It was a single injury that they took too long to figure out how best to treat. But it was one injury. By all appearances his skating has returned to where it was.

as to the contract. wasn't he signed to that contract as a pending ufa? at the time wasn't th concensus that it was a market price contract? wasn't the lockout injury after the contract was signed?

iirc correctly there were some here that didn't want to resign him because they knew it would be too expensive and wanted to let him walk for nothing. which is ironic considering now walking for nothing became such a stick to beat McPhee with.

Isn't Lainch injured again? Aren't inner leg injuries the type that can inhibit speed forever? Or maybe just seeing it in other Caps players over the years, and what it did to them, has me jaded.

I am not complaing about the initial contract. Laich isn't the same player as then. They could have bought him out. They didnt. I wish the had, as the discussion around it was "what will Laich end up becoming?"....not what he used to be. Need to play the odds when managing a Cap each year, and this was one of the choices that I didn't agree with (in looking at the next 2 seasons, I don't like having Laich on the team due to his risk factor to injury, and our depth at forward).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad