Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXIV: Take Ted's Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I just don't get how anyone could say we're a better team then we were before noon.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If I heard, out of context, that we spent $27.5 million to upgrade our defense, I would've been very excited. :laugh:

If you told me we were going to spend 5x$5.5M on a single defenseman, I'd assume we'd somehow manage to get a slightly under-market deal from Ehrhoff or Niskanen. :laugh:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I just don't get how anyone could say we're a better team then we were before noon.

We're the same team with a back-up goaltender and another NHL defenseman. So we're better. At the cost of having a significant chunk of salary cap space to address other needs, both now and down the road. Incredibly short-sighted deal loaded with a ton of risk and limited upside. Ed Snider/Paul Holmgren-esque.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Brooks Orpik is a better hockey player than Nate Schmidt, Cameron Schilling, or John Erskine.

They sure paid a premium for that.

And none of them played past the halfway point of the season. I'd have rather had Urbom back. And I'm not convinced Orpik is that much better then Hillen now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're also minus Grabovski at this point. They've still got some cap space but unless it's used wisely or coupled with trades the upgrades will be fairly marginal on paper.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
If you told me we were going to spend 5x$5.5M on a single defenseman, I'd assume we'd somehow manage to get a slightly under-market deal from Ehrhoff or Niskanen. :laugh:
Haha exactly. Who know, I'm gonna be optimistic about this for the first year or two. If he trails off in the final years but plays well the first few we could've done a lot worse.

I have a feeling we're going to be welcoming an aging forward like Richards or Legwand as well before this is said and done.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Speaking of Grabo, has anyone heard anything about him? I'm really surprised I've not heard his name linked to anyone yet. I really wonder if it'll happen like last off-season, he'll overprice himself and end up signing for nothing with someone else. Maybe he's looking for a 5.5 - 6 million type deal? Low End 1C money?

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
They're also minus Grabovski at this point. They've still got some cap space but unless it's used wisely or coupled with trades the upgrades will be fairly marginal on paper.

Grabo missed 24 games last season and only played at a 49 point pace when he did play. Johansson could most likely produce like that or better. Also, Kuznetsov is gonna be here all season.

Anyone that thinks this team isn't better right now than it was at the end of the season mugs have blind hatred...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Speaking of Grabo, has anyone heard anything about him? I'm really surprised I've not heard his name linked to anyone yet. I really wonder if it'll happen like last off-season, he'll overprice himself and end up signing for nothing with someone else. Maybe he's looking for a 5.5 - 6 million type deal? Low End 1C money?

I wasn't expecting a fast deal for him (he's seemingly underrated by many around the league and somewhat contentious), but I'm surprised how slowly the center market has moved with Stastny already off the board and Spezza traded. The fact that all of Grabovski, B. Richards, Legwand, O. Jokinen, Goc, and Ribiero don't have teams yet is surprising. Perreault, Boyle, and Bolland seem like the only ones who have signed.

e; As I post that, Richards goes. lol

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Only thing i've heard about him is that Edmonton is out of the running.

No surprises there. :laugh:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Grabo missed 24 games last season and only played at a 49 point pace when he did play. Johansson could most likely produce like that or better. Also, Kuznetsov is gonna be here all season.

Anyone that thinks this team isn't better right now than it was at the end of the season mugs have blind hatred...

Missed 24 games, was still our 2nd or 3rd best forward. You have blind homerism if you think the team is better without him then with him. You can't replace him with Mojo because Mojo was here, who replaces Mojo from last year? Kuzya is unproven and not something you just bank on. That is how you end up with Laich being your 2C.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

I don't see how +Orpik, -Grabovksi is better any in world.

They are going to play either 2 young wingers at 2c or a ****** overpaid player in Laich at 2c.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Grabovski was a good possession player and can win faceoffs. Johansson was either terrible or lukewarm possession-wise, depending on which metrics you value, despite having easier deployment. He's also been awful in the dot his whole career and has never produced that well at center.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Kuznetsov was on the team at the end of the season so it's not really anything new.

We also have zero idea how Johansson & Kuznetsov will fare under Trotz overall and whether either can play center under a demanding two-way style.

The difference is behind the bench. On paper the players aren't really any better currently. Maybe Trotz gets more out of them but I'm not really sure how many Trotz type forwards there are as-is.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
Grabo is waiting for us.

We'll get him at $4-4.5. At this point I hope we trade Laich for a 4th/5th. That would give us the space to sign Niskanen and maybe move Green at the trade deadline for a 2nd line forward.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
At this point I hope we get Niskanen because just imagine this defense next year when Green walks.

Alzner - Carlson
Orpik - ??
Orlov - ??

That's probably worse then last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad