Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Assuming Laich, Erat, and Johansson are all playing LW for the Caps next year, that makes Chimera a damn expensive 4th liner/healthy scratch. He's gotta be the odd man out, or one of Laich and Johansson is playing C.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Erat's stride is so similar to Ovi's. He looks pretty fast out there. I do wonder what he'd look like as 1st line LW.

I think he'd do great. He's got better hands and vision than Marcus. I got laughed at (and rightfully so) for purposing MaJo, Laich, and our 2nd (I'd do our 1st as well) for Nashville's 1st rounder this year. Trade Chimmer and Schultz and resign Ribs.

10-19-8
1st rounder (Drouin)-9-20
26-85-42/16
24-83-16/42

A man can dream, right?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
i think a lot of people here were not aware of how good a player erat is.

That and they forgot what a good player #21 is.

Ribs is no doubt a defensive liability.

At least Matty P looks like he is trying to do something out there. Ribs looks like he gives up or rather looks lost.

We'll need Erat and Brouwer to be more responsible to cover his shortcomings on that side of things. We'll be fine I think. As a whole, that line isn't glaringly deficient defensively.

Thats how I see it. Although I have mixed feelings about Brouwer's defensive ability...he's ok but not good enough to cover up for Ribs. Erat is.

I already have utter confidence in Erat being out there defensively. Him and Backstrom are our only top 6 forwards I can truly say that about. Ribs is the only one I'm really scared of.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Excellent point! But at the end of the day it's just another feather in Mcphee's cap. We have possibly the best LW depth in nhl history. Undoubtedly we will ride that depth into a dynasty.

The Caps' current winger depth if everyone is healthy is pretty darn impressive on both sides but I don't think we see Laich again until next season and who knows when Ward gets back. But yeah on paper that is a pretty nice, and expensive, corps of wingers...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think a lot of people are underestimating what Johansson is going to get as an RFA.

Giroux signed a 3-year $3.75M extension after his first two years in the NHL. His numbers were almost identical to Johansson's first two, with the exception he played fewer games his rookie year (but Johansson will have another ~50pt pace year on his resume thanks to this season).

Lucic had put up notably worse numbers than Johansson on his ELC, and still got paid a fat 4x$4M contract. Granted, he obviously brings a whole different skill set to the table, but numbers are typically what gets you paid (especially when you don't have the leverage of negotiating with other teams).

Filpulla, the best comparable sytlistically amogn this group, secured a 5 year, $3M cap hit deal after only having 53 points over his first two seasons in the league.

Even the low end of the spectrum is above $2M. David Perron's second contract was $2.15M for two years.

The people predicting cap hits of $2M and less are out to lunch.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think a lot of people are underestimating what Johansson is going to get as an RFA.

Giroux signed a 3-year $3.75M extension after his first two years in the NHL. His numbers were almost identical to Johansson's first two, with the exception he played fewer games his rookie year (but Johansson will have another ~50pt pace year on his resume thanks to this season).

Lucic had put up notably worse numbers than Johansson on his ELC, and still got paid a fat 4x$4M contract. Granted, he obviously brings a whole different skill set to the table, but numbers are typically what gets you paid (especially when you don't have the leverage of negotiating with other teams).

Filpulla, the best comparable sytlistically amogn this group, secured a 5 year, $3M cap hit deal after only having 53 points over his first two seasons in the league.

Even the low end of the spectrum is above $2M. David Perron's second contract was $2.15M for two years.

Did all those guys have significant injury history, or history of concussions? Should that factor into his compensation?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Erat looked like a beast last game. His numbers will come if he continues to play like he did. He's faster than I thought, and very strong on the puck. Really like his style of play.

He's really strong along the boards, reminds me almost a little of Ulf Dahlen the way he protects the puck so well.

Makes me miss that old Kono-Halpern-Dahlen line. Best 3rd line in all of hockey for a season :)

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
IMO, Ribs isn't coming back unless Laich is so injured they expect LTIR next year. There's no money for it and I don't see GM moving multiple players (e.g., Chimera and Ward) to make it happen. Hopefully 55 is gone. Ribs, Poti, and Wolski will walk. MoJo, Hendricks, Alzner, and Neuy (and Kundratek if he's not signed) are all staying. Bring up Orlov and you're done.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
IMO, Ribs isn't coming back unless Laich is so injured they expect LTIR next year. There's no money for it and I don't see GM moving multiple players (e.g., Chimera and Ward) to make it happen. Hopefully 55 is gone. Ribs, Poti, and Wolski will walk. MoJo, Hendricks, Alzner, and Neuy (and Kundratek if he's not signed) are all staying. Bring up Orlov and you're done.

This is how I see things unfolding.

KSD

Kono/Halpern/Dahlen was a good line for sure. The best cycling line we have had along with Ridley/Miller/insert player.

We could use a line like that on this team. We cycle from time to time but its not dominant cycling like those guys.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Erat-Backstrom-Ovechkin could be a dominant cycling line, but it takes a while to develop the chemistry to become one.

I think they'd crush it right out of the gates given a proper Training Camp. Erat is a savvy vet with a high hockey IQ... don't think those guys would have any problem developing chemistry.

Ovechkin's board play has been a revelation. He is a completely different player these past 8 weeks, and it's been a treat to watch. I guess you can take an old dog new tricks.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I've been hoping to see Erat - Backstrom - Ovechkin since the trade... with Johansson clicking it doesn't look like it'll happen. Erat is fast, but not as fast as Jojo - and a lot of what makes Johansson work on that line is his ability to back defensemen off and then dish. Not that I think Erat would be a bad fit there, but the gain from having Johansson be a useful player might be more than the loss of moving Erat somewhere else.

I wanted to see Laich - Backstrom - Ovechkin too. IMO Erat is a rich man's Laich. If I'm right and the Ribeiro writing is on the wall, that makes the top 6 look like
10 - 19 - 8
21 - 90 - 20
or
90 - 19 - 8
10 - 21 - 20
or something along those lines. Erat's a good passer and Laich's puck distribution ability (but not inclination) is underrated, so I wouldn't worry too much about chemistry if that line happened. I really want to see 90 at C though. Let him have more ice available to use his speed, and keep him further away from his weakest spot, the boards.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
i think a lot of people here were not aware of how good a player erat is.

I knew he was a good player, just didn't understand the logic of trading a highly touted prospect for him. I've watched him Nashville quite a bit and like him. I did say though when the trade was made it was crap, but that is because I thought Forsberg would get a premiere player. He is a playoff type of player. Not afraid to get in traffic and his boost of speed can catch folks off guard. He hits too when needed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I knew he was a good player, just didn't understand the logic of trading a highly touted prospect for him. I've watched him Nashville quite a bit and like him. I did say though when the trade was made it was crap, but that is because I thought Forsberg would get a premiere player. He is a playoff type of player. Not afraid to get in traffic and his boost of speed can catch folks off guard. He hits too when needed.

i think a lot depends on what premiere means to you. the feeling thrown off by some against this trade is that forsberg is a backstrom like player. if he's backstrom level, then it would be a disaster. i think forsberg is more likely to be a lot closer to johansson level than backstrom level. if he becomes a johansson, then the caps got the good end of the deal. if he falls in between then it was a fair deal.

here's the real question. if you could only have one of wilson or forsberg would you have taken forsberg? the caps clearly see only one roster slot and want wilson for it.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Nice.

I always felt bad for Mike Gartner. He was such a good guy and consistent player. He also had a sweet stache.

The year after the trade, near the TDL, he got traded to the Rags for Ulf Dahlen. That year the Stars made an amazing run to the finals (Mark Tinordi beast mode).

Then in 93-94 the Rangers were dominating and Gartner having a good season. They ship him out for Glen Anderson and win the cup.

Stars didn't think much of Murphy I guess. I believe they traded him for Jim Johnson and they'd face off against each other in the finals.

If my timelines are right I believe thats how it all unfolded.

Sounds right to me.

As much as Poile botched the asset management end of that deal when Dino left, he was golden with Rouse, sending Rouse and Zezel for Iafrate, getting enough solid years out of Iafrate's knee to ship him for Juneau, right before Iafrate's knee gave out again. Between Iafrate and Hunter, Poile had great luck with knees. Although I guess you could argue all that good was unbalanced Randy Burridge's knee.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

He was almost ppg in playoffs that second year and was around ppg for that 3rd year when he signet that contract.. something like 15-20 games into the season iirc.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
nashville is one of the most frugal teams in the league. poile doesnt take salary dumps. if you are saying you would rather not have done the deal, thats fine. forcinc schultz would have killed it. if you think poile would have done it, then i think you should reconsider that.

TXPD I understand your point, however Poile did not move Erat because he wanted to rid Nashville of his contract, it was never a salary dump issue, it was rather Erat who forced his hand and what I've read on the matter Poile asked him to reconsider his request at the 11th hour and Erat was still adamant because of the Preds direction or future plans. So Poile had to be jumping for joy in the return he got with the trade, Forsberg and at the same time ends up moving Erat and his two more years of contract at 4.5 (total 9 million). I seriously doubt based upon the return he was getting, Poile would have nixed the deal if GMGM demanded that it include the taking of Schultz as well for one more year at 2.75 or 1.75 less of a contract than Erats.

The trade itself has never bothered me, just thought it presented an opportunity to GMGM to also move Schultz because of the size of the Erat contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad