Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXV -- 2017-18 Training Camp/Preseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wicker Man

Cup or Shut Up
Nov 25, 2015
Russia
Giving our youth in defence chances, icetime and credit? Hahaha, never))) Management and CS are sooner to sign waived 26-years old finnish guy (there was not any finns in system since season 08/09), than do it.

Predict the following defence next season:
Orlov-Niskanen
Jokipakka-Carlson
Orpik-Chorney
Ness

Stanley Cup is ours, no doubt!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is he any good?

No.

I'm generally in favor of PTOs, but Jokipakka is a sub-replacement player. If he makes he team as a league minimum #8 who gets leap frogged by AHL callups when people suffer longer injuries I'm okay with it. If he sees regular action, it will be really really bad.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He's a 6/7 that likely only makes it if only Djoos otherwise makes the cut due in part to waiver status. A Jokipaaka/Chorney third pair would get murdered, though.

Hopefully all of the young D have a good camp, not just Djoos & Bowey. JJ might have some value as a third pair defensive type but they already have that in Chorney and Chorney can play both sides so I don't get the utility. I get not wanting to rely on two D with no or limited NHL experience but this player isn't exactly proven either (certainly no more than Chorney). It's just a PTO but I doubt he makes it and Hershey has enough D as it is already.

The Wicker Man

Cup or Shut Up
Nov 25, 2015
Russia
Is he any good?

Was a solid 3rd pair in Calgary the end of 15/16 season, but last year was a disaster - losing his place in roster to Bartkowski (says a lot), poor decisions with the puck, panic and lost battles. Waiver and being part of Lazar trade to Flames as a result.
Think that he is done as NHLer.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's been mentioned elsewhere that there is the pre-season veteran minimum to factor in here. The Caps only had five D that would have helped them meet that figure (at least eight vets playing per game) and Jokipakka gives them another. It might not be a big deal in their home games since those tend to be more experienced but could help with the first two road games at least.

I'd still monitor waivers if they end up needing another D. There should be better options to be had, although they'll be last in the waiver order.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Kozlov and Knuble were good on Ovechkins wing, Semin was fine, don't really remember after 2011 that well, which is the part i'd agree with. But we have had very good 1st lines, it's been the strength of our organization since Ovechkin came along.

Not hard to build a great 1st line when you have Ovechkin and Backstrom.

This organization should have built two lines around them, not one.

That's what Pittsburgh and Chicago have done.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I wanted to see if Oshie could carry his own line before they signed him to a mega-extension. I would have been way comfortable with a big deal for Oshie if we'd seen him carry an offensive line rather than just be Ovie's wingman.

Having Ovi Nicky and Oshie on one line isn't a good use of resources.

8-92-77
90-19-65
10-20-14
26-83-43

The dream.

:cry:

I'd like to see:

8-92-77
13-19-65
10-20-43
12-83-?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Having Ovi Nicky and Oshie on one line isn't a good use of resources.

8-92-77
90-19-65
10-20-14
26-83-43

The dream.

:cry:

I'd like to see:

8-92-77
13-19-65
10-20-43
12-83-?

Having Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, and Oshie on the same line is almost the exact same. It's still putting almost all of your eggs in one basket. I'd like:

13-19-77
8-92-43
65-20-10
??-83-??

I'm afraid if we don't have Burakovsky on the third line (or Oshie/Ovechkin) it will just become useless offensively. Those first two lines should be capable of carrying Vrana and Wilson.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Give me 8-92-X and 65-19-X (or X-19-65) as a base and work out the X's in the preseason.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
65 19 77
13 92 10
8 20 43

1st line is highly skilled and Nicky can set them up
2nd line brings lots of speed and if Kuz can get the wings going could be good
3rd line is heavy. Just pass to ovie and hit.

Would make it hard to match this lineup with only 3 D pairs. One of the lines will eat a bottom pair up.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Having Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, and Oshie on the same line is almost the exact same. It's still putting almost all of your eggs in one basket. I'd like:

13-19-77
8-92-43
65-20-10
??-83-??

I'm afraid if we don't have Burakovsky on the third line (or Oshie/Ovechkin) it will just become useless offensively. Those first two lines should be capable of carrying Vrana and Wilson.

Hmmm, never thought about those lines.

Looks good.

What we'll probably get at some point.

8-19-77
65-92-43
10-20-13
??-83-??

:rant:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Cool! Hope he makes it through the camp, have been hoping to see any Finnish guy in Capitals uniform for years :)

During the 40+ year span we have had 8 Finnish players in roster. All this because Tikkanen didnt pot the empty net in game 1!?

But seriously, Jokipakka shouldnt break into the roster. AHL-depth, replacement in case of short term injuries if signed, thats great.

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Cool! Hope he makes it through the camp, have been hoping to see any Finnish guy in Capitals uniform for years :)

During the 40+ year span we have had 8 Finnish players in roster. All this because Tikkanen didnt pot the empty net in game 1!?

But seriously, Jokipakka shouldnt break into the roster. AHL-depth, replacement in case of short term injuries if signed, thats great.

Game 2 Sir. Biggest collapse in finals history at the time.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Omg that clip is so painful. We win that one and who knows, we probably lose 4-1, but we'll never know. One of the biggest choker moments of all time.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I find solace in knowing that Yzerman would have just potted a natural to end that game. He was a total stud in that series.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wanted to see if Oshie could carry his own line before they signed him to a mega-extension. I would have been way comfortable with a big deal for Oshie if we'd seen him carry an offensive line rather than just be Ovie's wingman.

I'm gonna just guess the answer is a big fat no....

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The NHL is making a very interesting rule change for the 2017-18 season, introducing a harsher penalty for one particular video review.

From now on, a failed offside challenge will result in a two-minute penalty against the club asking for the review. It’s a potentially powerful infraction. Can you imagine a team in a tight game giving up a goal it thought was offside, losing the challenge, then having to withstand an immediate power-play opportunity? It’s going to make bench bosses much more wary — and ratchet up the pressure on video coaches.

Incorrect goaltender interference reviews stay the same — the loss of your timeout. That’s probably a wise decision, since there’s much more grey area than with an offside call.

Another adjustment that will have strategic impact. Teams are no longer able to call timeout after icing the puck. The other club can still do so if it wishes, but tired defenders won’t be able to ask for the extra rest.

Both moves should speed up the game and increase scoring/chances, which is what most of us want to see.

The final change is smaller, but also helps those with an offensive advantage. Previously, under Rule 80.4, a team on the power play that was guilty of playing the puck after a high stick saw the ensuing faceoff come deep into their own zone. Now, the team will gain territory (assuming the infraction is in the offensive end). Instead of going all the way down the ice, the faceoff will be in the neutral zone, close to the defending team’s blue line.

from the nhl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad