Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXIII -- Summer Free Agency 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Just explaining the rationale why people gripe over one vs the other.

18341946_10213255488525240_1780786648990045228_n.jpg

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think this deal it's pretty much market value for Kuz. Maybe 7.5. Inflation and all.
The issue is not getting any home-town discount when your team needs it the most.

To be honest, at this point I'm not sure I could throw a stone in the direction of any Caps player that decided "to get his". If even your GM says -- "last year was the year", and now it feels like there's no particular plan besides just keeping the ship afloat -- what are you gonna do. It's not a situation where you come off championships and everybody naturally wants to go an extra mile to keep the band together.

It is what it is... disappointing for fans looking for something to hang on to.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Has Kucherov fired his agent yet? That deal is near criminal by today's new standard over overpaying for guys who have done jack ****.

Why should he?

Kuznetsov at the age of 23 signed a 2-year bridge deal worth ~3m AAV. Kucherov at 23 signed a 3-year bridge deal worth ~4.7m. It's not like Kucherov signed for peanuts through eternity either. He's going to hit the same gold mine in 2 years just year later than Kuzy did, and got paid 1.7m more each season to do that year older. He'll have the same arbitration and KHL leverage as Kuznetsov had. If he keeps up, he's going to get over the 10m AAV mark on his next contract.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The concerning thing about BM's statements is that there's really little confidence in his words. Like he's sort of lost at the moment. Don't get the sense he has a grand vision of a rebuild or a retool or has anything up his sleeve.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Why sweat a million when it's more fun to sweat $500k with Wilson? ;)

I have it at 1.25.
So $6.55M for 8 years, including 6 UFA years, for the guy who has been the 7th best ESP producer over the last 2 seasons? One could argue that he didn't give a discount, but I think this is close to market value more than an overpay based on recent comps for that many UFA years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Today it's an overpay. Let's see if this guy performs like a star now that he's paid like one. I would have preferred 6.55 x 5 today. 3 years from now if he's coming off 2, 80+ point seasons, things will look better.

Where did he rank in ESP last season?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I would have preferred $650K x 8 years, but the player wouldn't have accepted it. GMBM just came out and said he paid a lot because the player had offers elsewhere. Kuzy had the leverage. It was pay him for the upside of his market demands or let him walk to russia.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Today it's an overpay. Let's see if this guy performs like a star now that he's paid like one. I would have preferred 6.55 x 5 today. 3 years from now if he's coming off 2, 80+ point seasons, things will look better.

Where did he rank in ESP last season?

26th. Same as Laine, Draisaitl, and ahead of Gaudreau, Seguin, Tavares, Toews, Jamie Benn.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why should he?

Kuznetsov at the age of 23 signed a 2-year bridge deal worth ~3m AAV. Kucherov at 23 signed a 3-year bridge deal worth ~4.7m. It's not like Kucherov signed for peanuts through eternity either. He's going to hit the same gold mine in 2 years just year later than Kuzy did, and got paid 1.7m more each season to do that year older. He'll have the same arbitration and KHL leverage as Kuznetsov had. If he keeps up, he's going to get over the 10m AAV mark on his next contract.

Should have never signed a 3 year deal. The economics are too obvious to belabor.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think my issue with GMBM is that he said Kuzya's money was equivalently Mojo's money. If he had just not signed Oshie to that mega deal. He had a younger, cheaper, and similar performance winger already on the roster but tries to equivalate him to the superstar Center we have?

Like...just don't sign Oshie and you don't have to trade Mojo for peanuts. You made an "all in" style move signing Oshie but then a retool move trading Mojo? Makes no sense.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Or trade Mojo before the expansion draft and keep Schmidt, it still blows my mind that BSGM managed to lose both Schmidt and Mojo.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I think my issue with GMBM is that he said Kuzya's money was equivalently Mojo's money. If he had just not signed Oshie to that mega deal. He had a younger, cheaper, and similar performance winger already on the roster but tries to equivalate him to the superstar Center we have?

Like...just don't sign Oshie and you don't have to trade Mojo for peanuts. You made an "all in" style move signing Oshie but then a retool move trading Mojo? Makes no sense.

MOJO was never a similar performer to Oshie and never will be.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
MOJO was never a similar performer to Oshie and never will be.
Except they have had similar production the last couple years. Since Mojo is younger, he likely will be a better performer moving forward too.

It's OK. The bad man is gone now. It's OK to be objective.

Sep 19, 2008
A lot of this outrage is overrated. Marcus was good and the way it was handled was dubious. However this is still a stacked team. No ALzner and no Schmidt means a young Hershey kid likely takes that spot. We need to see what they have to offer at this point. Call up bowey and vrana.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
A lot of this outrage is overrated. Marcus was good and the way it was handled was dubious. However this is still a stacked team. No ALzner and no Schmidt means a young Hershey kid likely takes that spot. We need to see what they have to offer at this point. Call up bowey and vrana.

Is it a stacked team this year though? They lost two top 6 regulars at F and basically lost LD to the extent it bumps orpik back up into the top 4. Last year's team was quasi-stacked. This year's team should be good barring a collapse from the top line/kuzy and orlov/niskanen/carlson/holtby, but has question marks all over the place. The bottom 2 d pairs could be a disaster and there's no longer any reliably productive wingers outside of ovi and oshie. I also think the center depth is overstated with both eller and beagle occupying starting spots. This is playoff caliber team likely (but who knows with the metro), but it's not a stacked team.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Thanks for helping us keep a better team together Kuzy. There's clearly an I in team.

#allinCapsstyle

This is pathetic behavior on the part of GmBM. Kuzy negotiated. You don't whine to the press about it like a victim.

And people wonder why the organization comes up small against winners.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, remember all that time MacLellan took trying to evaluate what went wrong? Only to come to no apparent conclusion? Now all this falls in his lap as he wasn't ready for these scenarios to play out and he's reacting as it comes at him. It's ugly. They're kind of asleep at the wheel here.

Maybe the rookies surprise but it's asking a lot, particularly when Trotz typically doesn't have much tolerance for growing pains. It's not as if they actively planned for this transition...it just kind of happened to them and now they don't have much choice. They do have some numbers, more so on the blueline than up front, but numbers alone don't necessarily mean options will be ready. Even aside from the rookies, a lot is being banked on the likes of 65/43/10/20 stepping it up offensively and the core being much more motivated and challenging of themselves. Carlson should be motivated for financial reasons but he's also the next one headed to leveraging himself against them and winning one way or another.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Except they have had similar production the last couple years. Since Mojo is younger, he likely will be a better performer moving forward too.

It's OK. The bad man is gone now. It's OK to be objective.

Yeah, so let's not be shy and say that objectively Oshie has been better than Johansson every year with the caps. And that no one would do a trade of Oshie, 2nd, 3rd for Johansson.

Not moving Johansson before the draft and protecting Schmidt instead was really really stupid though.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yeah, remember all that time MacLellan took trying to evaluate what went wrong? Only to come to no apparent conclusion? Now all this falls in his lap as he wasn't ready for these scenarios to play out and he's reacting as it comes at him. It's ugly. They're kind of asleep at the wheel here.

Maybe the rookies surprise but it's asking a lot, particularly when Trotz typically doesn't have much tolerance for growing pains. It's not as if they actively planned for this transition...it just kind of happened to them and now they don't have much choice. They do have some numbers, more so on the blueline than up front, but numbers alone don't necessarily mean options will be ready. Even aside from the rookies, a lot is being banked on the likes of 65/43/10/20 stepping it up offensively and the core being much more motivated and challenging of themselves. Carlson should be motivated for financial reasons but he's also the next one headed to leveraging himself against them and winning one way or another.

It feels like Calgary level dysfunction in Jay Feaster's waning years when he signed O'Reilly to that offersheet without realizing he could get claimed if Colorado didn't match. Or Avalanche level dysfunction from last summer.

Kinda wish I was a Dallas fan right now... that offseason was a beauty. They're my pick to pull a Nashville next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce