Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIII (Arbin' 2: Electric Boogaloo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's almost like having a garbage back-up and riding your starter for all he's worth has consequences. Whodathunkit?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's almost like having a garbage back-up and riding your starter for all he's worth has consequences. Whodathunkit?

Are you suggesting that you would have preferred Holtby to have a worse year last year so that we wouldn't have to pay him as much this year? If so I'd have to say thats dumb.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Are you suggesting that you would have preferred Holtby to have a worse year last year so that we wouldn't have to pay him as much this year? If so I'd have to say thats dumb.
I'm suggesting a better team, a team with a legit back-up, and Holtby isn't required to put up those numbers to begin with. He put up those numbers in part because they had no trusted alternative even if they wanted to rest him when the schedule allowed. That he performed in spite of that is another chip in his favor.

It's puzzling how they could reportedly reach consensus on the UFA years but not RFA.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I'm suggesting a better team, a team with a legit back-up, and Holtby isn't required to put up those numbers to begin with. He put up those numbers in part because they had no trusted alternative even if they wanted to rest him when the schedule allowed. That he performed in spite of that is another chip in his favor.
:popcorn:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Korn should allow us the luxury of not having to pay 8M for a goalie.

Do we credit Korn for Holtby, or not? I will admit the goalie is your most important player but you could also stick lard ass in there on the cheap and get mediocre tending, plus the Korn factor, good tending. And get a ticket to the big dance almost every year.

I hope BMac counters Holtby's agents pulling out his all world playoff stats by reminding the arb about hunters hunkering, and the Trotz turtle.

Whoddathunkit.... also when MJs agent was drooling seeing BMac push all in on the D a year ago, and leaving the top 6 thin. #Payday

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

It's puzzling how they could reportedly reach consensus on the UFA years but not RFA.

I call shenanigans and hindsight here.

You just assume Holtby would have performed just as well if he had to share the net and not get the same workload. There are alot of goalies that thrive playing 65-70+ games per year and perform worse playing less. Kolzig and Brodeur come to mind.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I call shenanigans and hindsight here.

You just assume Holtby would have performed just as well if he had to share the net and not get the same workload. There are alot of goalies that thrive playing 65-70+ games per year and perform worse playing less. Kolzig and Brodeur come to mind.
I don't assume but as long as they make the playoffs it doesn't really matter. There's ample evidence suggesting that many regular season games impacts playoff performance. While the Caps weren't hurt by it, aside from maybe Game 6 vs. NYR, it's not good practice generally. Teams don't ride goaltenders like they did after the lockout for good reason.

What Holtby did was pretty phenomenal, in part due to these circumstances, and he's prepared to cash in on it. IMO they were less afraid to go away from Holtby than they had no trusted alternative. It wasn't about breaking his rhythm. Again, Holtby putting up those numbers in that many starts strengthens his case in being comparable to Bobrovsky or Price rather than the salary bracket the Caps are seemingly putting him in for his RFA seasons. He was drastically underpaid last year. No longer.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
$8M is his camps ask. They aren't going to get that. Aim high, settle for what you want.

I still think a long-term deal gets done before arbitration.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Like I've been saying: probably backloaded deal with term. Gmbm is hoarding his nuts for after that 2 year window expires and all those contracts are up or due.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't assume but as long as they make the playoffs it doesn't really matter. There's ample evidence suggesting that many regular season games impacts playoff performance. While the Caps weren't hurt by it, aside from maybe Game 6 vs. NYR, it's not good practice generally. Teams don't ride goaltenders like they did after the lockout for good reason.

What Holtby did was pretty phenomenal, in part due to these circumstances, and he's prepared to cash in on it. IMO they were less afraid to go away from Holtby than they had no trusted alternative. It wasn't about breaking his rhythm. Again, Holtby putting up those numbers in that many starts strengthens his case in being comparable to Bobrovsky or Price rather than the salary bracket the Caps are seemingly putting him in for his RFA seasons. He was drastically underpaid last year. No longer.

So the message that you are broadcasting here is to find ways to dilute a players stats so as the team will have a better bargaining position when his contract comes up??

If Holtby (assume a 1 year deal this year) is neck and neck for the Vezina next year down the stretch (and we have a competent backup in Grubauer) you would endorse playing Holtby LESS so we could get a better deal since he'd less likely get the hardware??

Again hindsight.

Many here were up in arms that we gave Neuvirth a sizeable contract for a backup a couple years back. Saying backups should not get $2 million and thats a waste of cap space.

Now with the benefit of hindsight you are suggesting the opposite? And as if we just expected Justin Peters to be craptastic last year. The guy had a terrible year and that happens. The year before he had a .919 sv pctg for the Canes.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I know how to save $8-8.5 million over the next 2 years without hurting the team at all.
:laugh:

article-2614650-1D68DEDD00000578-742_634x728.jpg

caps2010_johansson_8105.jpg

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
To dramatically oversimplify, if the arbiter splits the difference between the Caps ask ($5.1M) and Holtby's ask ($8M), Holtby ends up with a $6.55M salary for next season. Not ideal, but not the end of the world (though it certainly drives up cost on his next contract, especially if that once again goes to arbitration).

More realistically, I'd have a hard time seeing the arbiter even settling that high. Unless the arbiter puts a lot of faith in the inflating salary cap figures, the coms simply don't support a $6.55M Holtby. I expect a figure a little north of $6M if it reaches arbitration.

I don't think either party really wants to do this again next off-season (though it may be favorable to Holtby to enter that phase with a higher base salary).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So the message that you are broadcasting here is to find ways to dilute a players stats so as the team will have a better bargaining position when his contract comes up??
My point is good long-term planning involves smart short-term planning. This isn't about the player...it's about building a good team that can do damage in the playoffs. (See my earlier point.)
If Holtby (assume a 1 year deal this year) is neck and neck for the Vezina next year down the stretch (and we have a competent backup in Grubauer) you would endorse playing Holtby LESS so we could get a better deal since he'd less likely get the hardware??
I would rest Holtby as needed so that he's rested for the playoffs to better position them as a team, yes. Who cares about individual awards?

They had Grubauer in the minors if they really wanted to rest Peters. I'm not really sold on him in the NHL but who knows how the NYI series goes if he doesn't come up and get the W? They did have an alternative if they really wanted to use it and not have it be The Holtby Show all the time. This is the logical consequence of those actions.

Given that both sides are open to term, something probably will get done but it will probably carry a $6M+ cap hit and that's pretty hefty.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'll say this.

I'm glad we drafted Samsanov. It gives us more leverage with Holtby I'd say. As of now we can more easily give him a 1 or a 2 year deal whereas without a blue chip goalie prospect (lets assume Grubauer is not that) we'd have to play alot nicer.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
$4,769,037 from what I have.

That includes Galiev with the forwards. Grubi/No Peters. No Mojo.

How much cushion do we need to have for call ups and crap like that?

If Holtby gets 6.5 and MJ 3.75 that leaves us with about 1 million then right? Won't that entire amount need to be reserved for call ups?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
How much cushion do we need to have for call ups and crap like that?

If Holtby gets 6.5 and MJ 3.75 that leaves us with about 1 million then right? Won't that entire amount need to be reserved for call ups?
Well the calls ups are going to be pretty small cap hits. Brown, Sill, Mitchell, O'Brien, Stephenson, Vrana, Carrick, Bowey, and whoever are all under 895k (with Vrana being that high end salary).

That being said....if they do pay Mojo $3.75....you're looking at 22 man roster with $1,019,037 left.

Doesnt leave much wiggle room to bring in a 3C, but its doable if they really want to.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Well the calls ups are going to be pretty small cap hits. Brown, Sill, Mitchell, O'Brien, Stephenson, Vrana, Carrick, Bowey, and whoever are all under 895k (with Vrana being that high end salary).

That being said....if they do pay Mojo $3.75....you're looking at 22 man roster with $1,019,037 left.

Doesnt leave much wiggle room to bring in a 3C, but its doable if they really want to.

That seems hardly enough to bring in a minimum salary 4C if you ask me.

I think they certainly have to look at moving Johansson to make room for a quality 3C which is far more important to this team as it stands.

I think moving Chimera would be a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad