GDT: Ace Hardware presents 17th Annual Free Agency Disappointment Day

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dangly one on one player with speed but not a lot of strength. Unsure what to think of it. More of a third line player if that line is offensive. I take it all grinders with size are gone or cost too much, this is a move in the other direction.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Somehow I completely missed the Corrente and Flood signings yesterday. Corrente was at one point (I think 2010 maybe into 2011) the highest rated prospect in the Devils' system by HF.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Dangly one on one player with speed but not a lot of strength. Unsure what to think of it. More of a third line player if that line is offensive. I take it all grinders with size are gone or cost too much, this is a move in the other direction.

He's fast as hell with a motor as well. If you look at the career trajectory of a guy like Dwyer, Palushaj seems to fit that player type. It makes me wonder if Dwyer isn't going to be a financial casualty to sweeten a potential trade. He's a reliable bottom six guy and a strong killer. Teams like that.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I'm thinking this is a move that'll either see him on the third line or in the AHL. He should be a guy to compete with Dalpe or whoever the else we have in mind for that third line spot.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I was confusing him with Aaron Volpatti who had his only assist of the season against Canes.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He's fast as hell with a motor as well. If you look at the career trajectory of a guy like Dwyer, Palushaj seems to fit that player type. It makes me wonder if Dwyer isn't going to be a financial casualty to sweeten a potential trade. He's a reliable bottom six guy and a strong killer. Teams like that.

I see what you're saying but he has none of dwyers defensive leanings, from what I've seen. This isn't a pk'er, again for what I saw. He showed hands and flair for the avs, but got drilled along the boards frequently and didn't have the strength to fight through much. He's an offensive upgrade over Dwyer, but brings very little of what we like in Dwyer to the table. He doesn't do much to change our squeezable charmin soft forward group. He's maybe nodl level in terms of impact, though with a two way which is nice. Nodl was expensive to send down.

Hey who knows, maybe he's a good reclamation and he clicks. Not the style of player for the bottom six we've been expecting, per jr's end of season comments. Id be unhappy if this was dwyers replacement.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I see what you're saying but he has none of dwyers defensive leanings, from what I've seen. This isn't a pk'er, again for what I saw. He showed hands and flair for the avs, but got drilled along the boards frequently and didn't have the strength to fight through much. He's an offensive upgrade over Dwyer, but brings very little of what we like in Dwyer to the table. He doesn't do much to change our squeezable charmin soft forward group. He's maybe nodl level in terms of impact, though with a two way which is nice. Nodl was expensive to send down.

Hey who knows, maybe he's a good reclamation and he clicks. Not the style of player for the bottom six we've been expecting, per jr's end of season comments. Id be unhappy if this was dwyers replacement.

I certainly understand what you're saying about Dwyer, but Dwyer wasn't always what he is now either. It took some development and role embracement in order for him to be a productive bottom six.

The things that I like the most about Dwyer are his skating, his body positioning especially on the PK, and his compete. Those things I feel can be taught to a player as naturally gifted as Palashaj if he's receptive to the idea of sticking in the NHL. I'm not saying it would be a seamless transition from one to the other, but I doubt that anybody is looking at Palushaj at this point and thinking he still has any Top 6 potential left in his skates. He's going to have to adapt, and it's going to take a team forcing him to make that adjustment. Colorado didn't play him a single second on the PK last year, so we'd be starting from scratch there. Who knows.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=677773

Ron Francis, Vice President of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Michal Jordan (MIH-kahl yohr-DAHN) on a one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Jordan $550,000 at the NHL level or $125,000 at the minor-league level, with a guarantee of at least $150,000.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Sanguinetti to KHL.

i thought someone here would have signed him to some sort of contract but this is probably a good move on his part. no idea how much he'll be paid but it might be a good way to develop some for a couple of years and try it again. he'll be 27 yrs. old after this and may just get himself an nhl contract or two to finish off his career. in the least it may be a good experience for a young guy.

EDIT: actually i'll add in here now after i've been doing a little khl study. as it develops like it is in spades (the entire russian hockey system in particular but not solely), it is certainly an excellent option for more and more guys. even some top end talent will be heading there or staying (all euros, canadians, americans). as for the young prospects etc., they will either stay to develop or stay, period. there seems to be a disconnect of sorts or a lack of understanding here by the nhl establishment in how to properly develop many european players, particularly young russian prospects. we are seeing it in several ways and examples. they are better off to stay there for a while then come here if they choose or stay there. imo we will see less euro talent in the nhl as the khl continues to change for the better. more n. americans will be playing there as well. the nhl will have to realize that they are going to have to compete more than they ever have or expected to have to. the idea that the nhl is the best hockey in the world will be challenged in time. sooner than we may think if the khl succeeds in it's over haul. just a prediction. many varying opinions and lots to learn about it. time will tell.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad