Kings News: According to Dean Lombardi, Quick is out until March

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Still not too late to get to the 7% chance on the draft lotto!

Now we just need Sutter to play Lewis on the top line to tank the scoring and play some rookie D 20 mins a night. :naughty:

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Still not too late to get to the 7% chance on the draft lotto!

Now we just need Sutter to play Lewis on the top line to tank the scoring and play some rookie D 20 mins a night. :naughty:

Ahem, that top line spot is now vacated by the one and only Jordan Nolan. Eat it Lewis.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
And you believe him? He is looking for a goalie. He just doesn't want to pay the prices that it'll cost to get a goalie. They can't wait another 25 games hoping Budaj and Zatkoff keep them close.

You're right, but it's not like the rest of the GMs are unaware of his situation.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Makes no sense to dump assets for a goalie who may or may not help this team earn a playoff spot. Maybe now you guys understand why I kept calling this team a group of pretenders.

They're just treading water and are a borderline playoff team, at best a team that could advance to the second round if some of the top players pulled their heads out of their rear ends.

If Lombardi is to add a goalie, if only consider something on the cheap side, sign Ramo, or look at Greiss or Berra as options. Forget Ryan Miller.

This team is not pretenders. They are a team that point percentage wise is a top team in the division, and that is with one of the worst save percentages in the league.

I am not saying they should spend serious assets on a Goalie, but if Andy A is the only cost I am game

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
This team is not pretenders. They are a team that point percentage wise is a top team in the division, and that is with one of the worst save percentages in the league.

I am not saying they should spend serious assets on a Goalie, but if Andy A is the only cost I am game

Won't get into 3-on-3 in relation to the point percentage but I will say I will be very surprised if that holds true following the road trip.

This team is very reminiscent of the '15 team in the sense that they were awesome at home, sucked on the road and had big names struggle. Problem is that team was better than this one so I don't think 95 points is happening.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It was already a wait and see year based on what Lombardi did in the offseason. That got amplified when Quick went down after the 1st period of the year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Won't get into 3-on-3 in relation to the point percentage but I will say I will be very surprised if that holds true following the road trip.

This team is very reminiscent of the '15 team in the sense that they were awesome at home, sucked on the road and had big names struggle. Problem is that team was better than this one so I don't think 95 points is happening.

See, I think this team is better than the '16 team and a lot of stats and eye test (to me) bear that out; the biggest difference is a LARGE percentage of goaltending.

I think we're solidly still in the #3/WC spot after this trip and the sky isn't actually falling.

Do you have that tank photoshop pic?

Mean to do more with it but still been soooo busy with work

WZmYwHQ.jpg

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
This team is still too good, to drop out of that 95 point range.

It's not going to be a top five pick team, not even a top ten pick team.

Kopitar at some point is going to catch fire, that alone is going to win games.

This team, surprisingly, has outscored it's problems at certain stretches, if you can believe that.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
After reading Rosens article, looks like we're gonna hold the fort.

So, your team’s star goaltender is injured long-term, and you’re looking for someone capable of holding the fort until he returns in mid-February. It’s as simple as getting on the phone, making calls, swinging a deal and heading home from work, right?

No, that’s not really how it works. Dean Lombardi has a list of goaltenders and teams that could be a potential match in a trade. It is not a who’s who list of starting netminders. It’s a list of players with bad contracts, players who are underperforming, players who are third string goaltenders. It is a list free of palatable number one, 1-A or 1-B goalies.

“You’re almost going down to the third man on the depth chart when you’re talking to a lot of these teams and then you also have the issue too, that if you highlight a certain guy, then you’ve got the realization, number one: you’ve got a number one goalie coming back, [and] two: with expansion coming, if he is a top guy you’re going to lose him, so how much are you going to give up for a two-month asset?

https://lakingsinsider.com/2016/12/14/no-easy-solutions-in-attempt-to-reinforce-goaltending-via-lombardi/

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
When the Dodgers lost Kershaw to an injury, everyone else on the team picked it up and found ways to win until he got back. That's what this team needs to do.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
When the Dodgers lost Kershaw to an injury, everyone else on the team picked it up and found ways to win until he got back. That's what this team needs to do.

Well, to be fair, they weren't getting league-worst pitching from not-Kershaw.

We're scoring literally 3 goals a game...that's top offense in the NHL many years, no?

Need the defense to tighten up for sure, but we also need our goalies to be better...we're not THAT good.

I don't disagree with you overall, but I guess I'm saying I don't think this team is a disaster either.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
This team is still too good, to drop out of that 95 point range.

It's not going to be a top five pick team, not even a top ten pick team.

Kopitar at some point is going to catch fire, that alone is going to win games.

This team, surprisingly, has outscored it's problems at certain stretches, if you can believe that.

95 points was the goal I thought before the season started with a healthy Quick. Now I'd say 90 points would be good. Is that a playoff spot? Could be in a weak Pacific Division.

This trip could get away from them quickly. Detroit is always tough for them. Then a red hot Pittsburgh the night after in a 3 in 4 situation. Then Boston Sunday morning. Then a red hot Columbus team. Tough west opponents in Nashville and Dallas. And then another long break before the Vancouver game (remember the games after the long breaks 3 times this season??). And then San Jose two in a row who the Kings have beaten twice in the last 12 games? The next 11 games could get really ugly. The 2014 Kings routinely surprised us by winning when we didn't think it was possible. This isn't the same team.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

We're scoring literally 3 goals a game...that's top offense in the NHL many years, no?

Need the defense to tighten up for sure, but we also need our goalies to be better...we're not THAT good.

I don't disagree with you overall, but I guess I'm saying I don't think this team is a disaster either.

It's Zatkoff that drags the goalie stats down. Budaj isn't an all-star, and he sometimes doesn't know where he is in relation to the net, but of goalies that have played 10 games, he's 13th(of 45) in GAA. 8th(out of 21) for guys that have played 20 games. His sv% isn't good though. About 30th for 10 games, and around 16, 17, 18 for 20 games. He's got better numbers than Quick had in the 2013 regular season so far. The Kings are giving up the fewest shots per game this year too.

I know it's not completely fair, and I'm cherrypicking a stat to make my point, but take out those 5-0 and 7-0 wins, and the Kings have scored 61 goals in the other 26 games, which is 2.35 per game. That would be the 2nd lowest average since 09-10. Almost as bad as 11-12, which was the lowest.

Budaj hasn't been great, he's looked shaky at times, and he's a 34 year old 3rd string goalie for a reason, but I still think the biggest issue on this team is that too many big name guys aren't scoring. Well, that, and Doughty and Muzzin haven't been as good as you figured they would be. They already had a top 4 defenseman issue going into the season, and now Muzzin isn't playing like a top 4 guy, and Doughty isn't playing like a Norris winner.

Would all this be different if Quick were in there? At least psychologically? Maybe? They couldn't beat Edmonton and Winnipeg in must win games the last couple years though, with Quick, so, I don't know with this team anymore.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Zatkoff is crap.

Budaj is unreliable. Buffalo's goals were weak and I blame him for that loss.

The Kings are currently four points out of a spot. Four pacific teams are ahead of them a few others are neck in neck in points.

Cannot have any prolonged droughts if you wish to make the playoffs.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
95 points was the goal I thought before the season started with a healthy Quick. Now I'd say 90 points would be good. Is that a playoff spot? Could be in a weak Pacific Division.

This trip could get away from them quickly. Detroit is always tough for them. Then a red hot Pittsburgh the night after in a 3 in 4 situation. Then Boston Sunday morning. Then a red hot Columbus team. Tough west opponents in Nashville and Dallas. And then another long break before the Vancouver game (remember the games after the long breaks 3 times this season??). And then San Jose two in a row who the Kings have beaten twice in the last 12 games? The next 11 games could get really ugly. The 2014 Kings routinely surprised us by winning when we didn't think it was possible. This isn't the same team.

The dysfunctional roster of 2015 made 95 points. That roster did not have a bottom six scoring, or Forbort/Gravel.

This is simply a stretch of games, that could dig a hole. There is still half the season left.

How many people thought the Kings would have has many wins as they do now ?

4 games in hand on EDM/CAL, 2 games in hand on SJ/ANH

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Why so pessimistic? Kings will be in playoff, no doubt about it. Quick will be fresh for this crucial time. And in Juni you all can celebrate another Stanley Cup.

What's funny is all the neigh sayers who ***** and moan about Sutter playing Quick too much leaving him burnt out come playoffs, will say he was rusty due to injury..should LA lose.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
What's funny is all the neigh sayers who ***** and moan about Sutter playing Quick too much leaving him burnt out come playoffs, will say he was rusty due to injury..should LA lose.

Please, you know this is true. Sutter has a bad habit of running goalies into the ground. Its definitely one of his weaknesses when it comes to coaching.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

We need Doughty to stop playing like Charlie Huddy.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
The dysfunctional roster of 2015 made 95 points. That roster did not have a bottom six scoring, or Forbort/Gravel.

This is simply a stretch of games, that could dig a hole. There is still half the season left.

How many people thought the Kings would have has many wins as they do now ?

4 games in hand on EDM/CAL, 2 games in hand on SJ/ANH

Actually that 2014-15 team finished with 219 goals. This year's team is on pace for 213 goals. Obviously things can and will change but that 2015 team had decent depth scoring. Jordan Nolan had 6 goals! King had 13, Brown had 11, Lewis had 9. Stoll and Clifford had 6. Richards had 5. I assume most of those came from bottom 6 roles.

I understand there's 1/2 a season left after this 11 game stretch but there's no Quick to even keep them in games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad