Kings News: According to Dean Lombardi, Quick is out until March

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
Helene ElliottVerified account
‏@helenenothelen
According to Dean Lombardi, Quick is out until March. Lombardi not ready "to throw the kitchen sink" at team's goaltending problem.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
giphy.gif

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Barf cry. Cheers to that top pick! (in a crappy draft)

Looks like Budja is starting to break down too, doesn't help that our defense is struggling.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brace yourselves, 3 months of trade proposals fleecing the Kings then berating us for being too dumb to take their crap as a favor are coming.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Brace yourselves, 3 months of trade proposals fleecing the Kings then berating us for being too dumb to take their crap as a favor are coming.

I can see it now....Im kinda okay with Dean doing nothing though. take a hit this season and re-tool for next season. no sense doing anything drastic when the majority of the team is underperforming and with the expansion draft looming on the horizon. hooray for cheap Kings tickets I guess?

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I can see it now....Im kinda okay with Dean doing nothing though. take a hit this season and re-tool for next season. no sense doing anything drastic when the majority of the team is underperforming and with the expansion draft looming on the horizon. hooray for cheap Kings tickets I guess?

50 year anniversary though. Might management above Dean force him to try and make the playoffs?

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
50 year anniversary though. Might management above Dean force him to try and make the playoffs?

its definitely possible I'd say. I really wonder how much leeway Dean has with upper management. he did win 2 cups but those were followed by marked regression (playoff miss, 1st round exit) and now the Kings are dealing with injury

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
If you want playoffs you need to gst a goalie. Simple as that. DL said he isn't pursuing a goalie.

And you believe him? He is looking for a goalie. He just doesn't want to pay the prices that it'll cost to get a goalie. They can't wait another 25 games hoping Budaj and Zatkoff keep them close.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
If you want playoffs you need to gst a goalie. Simple as that. DL said he isn't pursuing a goalie.

that's what it is

people should really stop hoping

he looks at the roster, he sees that Quick is gone for the year so that's a free pass for him. Him and Sutter will not be blamed for this season.

Similar to last year's Montreal, shut it down and focus on getting 2017/18 right

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm loathe to do anything that results in a reduction of number of picks, never mind slots.

I think the 2016 Canadiens example is apt.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'd kick the tires on Ryan Millar to see if the price is livable. Shut quick down until the playoffs.

The Canucks would have to retain but ya I would hope that call has been made.

Also the Islanders obviously comes to mind due to having three goalies currently. With Dowd I wonder if Andy A could get a minor upgrade in net. Just trying to save all draft picks.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
The Canucks would have to retain but ya I would hope that call has been made.

Also the Islanders obviously comes to mind due to having three goalies currently. With Dowd I wonder if Andy A could get a minor upgrade in net. Just trying to save all draft picks.

Andreoff is cheap talent already on the roster though. They'll need the players making a million or less next season after they extend Toffoli and Pearson.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Makes no sense to dump assets for a goalie who may or may not help this team earn a playoff spot. Maybe now you guys understand why I kept calling this team a group of pretenders.

They're just treading water and are a borderline playoff team, at best a team that could advance to the second round if some of the top players pulled their heads out of their rear ends.

If Lombardi is to add a goalie, if only consider something on the cheap side, sign Ramo, or look at Greiss or Berra as options. Forget Ryan Miller.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0600765042945695451-4

Pierre LeBrun said he spoke to DL after last night's game and ref. the report of JQ and March, and said Mid Feb remains the timeframe.
And like every good GM, is 'evaluating' his trade options.
The latter indicates hopefully, if the team doesn't fare well on this road trip, he won't pull the trigger and play the cards as they were dealt.

Spoke with Kings GM Dean Lombardi after seeing him quoted by the wonderful Helene Elliott from the LA Times saying Jonathan Quick wouldn't be back until March. He clarified with me that the timetable remains mid February for the star goalie's return but certainly a worst case scenario could be late February/early March. In the meantime he says the Kings continue to evaluate trade options in goal but most importantly says his players need to raise their game.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Zatkoff has been the biggest disappointment. I don't trust him in net for one second. I feel like every shot is going to go in. I like Budaj. We are getting from him what we should expect--one or two soft goals every other game or once every three games, but overall an okay-average performance. Zatkoff, on the other hand, is not even a capable third string goalie in the NHL, and maybe not even a starter in the AHL. He is just flopping around everywhere.

If we had a decent third string goalie, at least we could split Budaj's time, which would allow Budaj to get more rest and play better in the games he is in. Maybe call up Campbell and send Zatkoff down? Might as well take a chance on him.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Season was lost once Quick went down and surprising production from Bottom 6 players never changed that.

Team simply can't afford to give up assets for a marginal upgrade over Budaj in the hopes that Quick can just step right back in. It would be a total waste of assets and DL is not in a position to waste any more assets than he already has the last couple of years.

Team will go as far as Budaj can carry them. That's why they aren't going anywhere and why I've had that stance since the injury.

Lost season for the established stars on this team. Need the young guys to continue to get minutes with this season being all about development.

There are encouraging things going on with the team so I'm not completely piling on. From a strictly W/L results perspective, however, this team is not a contender. Been horrible on the road and I expect this road trip to be the nail in the playoff hopes coffin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad