About Hakstol

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Of course it "helps" a player. Helps them to wake the f-- up.
I think for Konency the message was "focus."
For Ghost it was probably more like "stop being a f'n prima donna and leave your teammates out to dry."

Yes, you want Ghost to play it "safe" to a certain extent, maybe we need to bring in Kimmo to tutor him on the difference between aggressive and stupid.
It's called taking "calculated risks," you want offensive defensemen to push the play, but to also be aware of where his teammates are and avoid turnovers that lead to breakaways and breakouts. Ghost and Voracek were the two most careless players last year (v players who got beat b/c they were limited).
Both of those are imaginary problems you created for Hakstol to "fix".

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Of course it "helps" a player. Helps them to wake the f-- up.
I think for Konency the message was "focus."
For Ghost it was probably more like "stop being a f'n prima donna and leave your teammates out to dry."

Yes, you want Ghost to play it "safe" to a certain extent, maybe we need to bring in Kimmo to tutor him on the difference between aggressive and stupid.
It's called taking "calculated risks," you want offensive defensemen to push the play, but to also be aware of where his teammates are and avoid turnovers that lead to breakaways and breakouts. Ghost and Voracek were the two most careless players last year (v players who got beat b/c they were limited).

I believe it was the first benching, but Ghost got benched for missing the net. Haklogic was to have him in the press box thinking about his shot. That's a first

TK got benched despite being the most threatening offensive player on an anemic offensive team

Voracek got demoted for not producing amongst other things. But his stay on a bottom pair went way beyond sending a message to a vet

Haks comes up with his own sets of logic, that go beyond the norm and most likely aren't respected among the team. Clearly the fanbase see's it

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Haks comes up with his own sets of logic, that go beyond the norm and most likely aren't respected among the team. Clearly the fanbase see's it

How do you Hakstol isn't respected among the team?
We saw how they reacted to the short-term benching of Konency and Ghost by outscoring teams 43-29 at ES over the last 20 games.
We saw how they reacted to Nashville by going belly up against Washington.
We saw them vote an "A" to MacDonald.

Maybe fans don't know their ass from a hole in the ground?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given that Konency has 1 ES point in 5 games, I'm not sure I'd call his performance "great." His performance so far is pretty similar to his rookie year.

SSS, but nothing to get excited about.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How do you Hakstol isn't respected among the team?
We saw how they reacted to the short-term benching of Konency and Ghost by outscoring teams 43-29 at ES over the last 20 games.
We saw how they reacted to Nashville by going belly up against Washington.
We saw them vote an "A" to MacDonald.

Maybe fans don't know their ass from a hole in the ground?
Lol...now wait....now you are saying that the short term benching of TK and Ghost led to that edge in areas scoring? Talk about a reach.

As for Washington, maybe it's because we were rested and they were on the back to back and tired? Oh wait....we crushed them because they knew if they left it to a close game, Hak might f*** it up for them with some awful decision making so the decided to not let that happen again. Yeah, let's go with that.

As for AMac, no one doubts that other players might like AMac. He still sucks. Maybe they decided to move the A from one shit player last year to another this year.

As for your last comment, you prove that all the time.

Reactions: Umphreys Mcgee

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Given that Konency has 1 ES point in 5 games, I'm not sure I'd call his performance "great." His performance so far is pretty similar to his rookie year.

SSS, but nothing to get excited about.

Hopefully they bench him so they can start out scoring teams at ES more. Am I right???

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
None of you have a clue what's really going on with the team, neither do I, other than snippets that come out through the media (and Hextall runs a tighter ship than Putin).

So to make claims that a move was arbitrary or stupid, without the knowledge of the background circumstances, is simply blowing out hot air.

Which isn't to say Hakstol doesn't do things that have you shaking your head, but I'll bet if we go back six years, there are things Lavi was doing that drove Striiker crazy!

In the end, coaches are judged by winning or losing.

It's hard to make the case that the team underperformed the last two years, given that overall the talent level was below NHL average (as evidenced by half the roster being dumped). Claiming that this or that game would have been won with better decisions is a mere counterfactual - the only real standard is talent v results.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll see how the season rolls, if they play well, he can be a doofus, if they play poorly, it doesn't matter if he's a genius. But I certainly won't take the opinions on this board as the Gospel truth!

And people crack me, up - if someone suggested we trade our 1st rd pick for a fast, undersized winger who scores 30 points a year and is average defensively, there would be an uproar. Now maybe down the road Konency becomes a 50-60 point scorer, but that day hasn't come yet. Right now he's still a 30 point wing.

Benching young players to give them a "wake up call" is so universally employed by coaches in all sports that making a big deal of it just demonstrates ignorance. It's not like Ghost or Konency were buried in some proverbial doghouse. Konency ended up on the 4th line because the first three lines were playing so well without him - and one reason Schenn was traded was to make room for Konency at RW.

The only evidence I take seriously is how the team plays a a whole, and the last 25 games this team has played better than the previous 5 years or so. I attribute that to three factors:
1) Weal and Filppula allowed them to roll 3 solid lines, this year, Laughton and Leier has allowed them to roll an above average fourth line
2) The defense has been gradually upgraded and will continue to improve
3) The talent is a better fit to the scheme, the team is much faster up and down the line

There will be peaks and valleys, they were flat in Nashville at the end of a West Coast road trip, they were rested against a tired Caps team in their first home game - and that's why it takes a long enough stretch to even out to judge how a team is progressing (I'd say 20 games will provide a clue).

Nitpick to your heart's content, I'll just dismiss it as nonsense and balderdash.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise was 4th on the team in hits in 2016-17, 3rd this year.
He's obvious not Simmonds, but Hakstol tried Weal and Simmonds with Patrick, it quickly became obvious that they fit better with Filppula, as they did last season.
Teams were physically challenging Patrick from day one, which is normal for a hig profile rookie.
Weise adds some size and physicality to that line.

He's not there to be an enforcer (if someone was really picking on Patrick, I suspect Gudas would find his way on the ice). But he does add size, and he's willing to "hit somebody."

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Deadhead, you don't seem to get it. Benching young player has merits. We all know that. It's WHEN AND WHY Hakstol benches players that gets people pissed off.

2 point night, plus play, over 50% Corsi....Konecny benched the next game
Nic Cousins benched....not explained why. How is to respond if he is not told why in the 1st place?
Named Pro Athlete of the Year....Ghost benched that same day
Fly in parents to watch sons 1st NHL home game....Sanheim benched

Bench a kid after he has a string of bad games, few would have issue with. But this seems to be a pattern of benching for something totally different.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Where I disagree is I don't think Hakstol is a "doofus."

He gets painted by many on here as a complete moron; I don't think he is.

I'm in favor of giving Knobs the job, because I think Hak, in line with Hex, overrates the vets (more egregious with Hextall), but I don't think Hakstol is a hack.

He doesn't make his decisions haphazardly. And some of them work out very well. Even if unpopular.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deadhead, you don't seem to get it. Benching young player has merits. We all know that. It's WHEN AND WHY Hakstol benches players that gets people pissed off.

2 point night, plus play, over 50% Corsi....Konecny benched the next game
Nic Cousins benched....not explained why. How is to respond if he is not told why in the 1st place?
Named Pro Athlete of the Year....Ghost benched that same day
Fly in parents to watch sons 1st NHL home game....Sanheim benched

Bench a kid after he has a string of bad games, few would have issue with. But this seems to be a pattern of benching for something totally different.

But that's the problem, WE DON'T KNOW what was really happening behind the scenes.

You can get two points and play a lousy game - numerous mistakes that could have led to goals, even if you were lucky that night, those bad habits will lead to opposing goals at some point. If that is the case, then benching a player after a "good" game emphasizes that a good game is doing things right, not fluke stats because you had a lucky night (like that "assist" Voracek got when he lost control of the puck).

As far as communicating, Hakstol has admitted he needs to work on it - what was interesting was him admitting the time demands are very different at the pro level, less practice time, less time to spend with players, having to keep his message simple b/c there isn't the same level of interaction (players aren't on campus, they have lives outside of the rink).

With Sanheim, did he assume he'd be in the lineup without checking with the coach? Are his parents here for the homestand? Again, jumping to conclusions before you know the facts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said 'Sit down' I stood up"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad