Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The worst part about all of this is that his contract slid twice and he still has 2 more years left on our 50 contract list.

You really have to wonder how things turn out if he ends up in the Q instead of playing in the AHL straight out of the draft.

Reactions: wetcoast

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A workmanlike road win for the Canucks last night, 4-2 over a Bakersfield Condors team that looks good on paper, but has probably underachieved at bit in the Pacific.

Nick Cicek was voted the first star of the game, and had a goal, but I didn't notice him that much. But I guess if you're a d-man that's a good thing. Karlsson is on fire right now, with another three point night.

I don't think he'll ever be a dynamic skater, but in tight spaces and along the wall, he's very effective. I think that's why he earned the callup from the Canucks, because he does good work on the down-low forecheck.

The other 'success story' right now is Raty, who had a two-point night. The improvement in his skating and puck management/distribution is hard to ignore. I know some posters are still less than bullish on him, but at just 21, he's projecting nicely.

And the other story on the Abbotsford Canucks these days is Tolopilo. Solid again last night, and just so immense and athletic in the net. Canucks and Ian Clark might have something here.

Baby Canucks travel a couple of hours south to play the Ontario Reign. It's a 5 p.m. start, which is exactly the time the parent Canucks face off against the Ducks in Anaheim. Probably a rarity that the NHL team and its AHL affiliate face off at the same time, in communities 40 minutes apart.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A tough loss for Abbotsford in Ontario, just up the road from the game between the parent Canuck and Anaheim.

A shorthanded goal from Dries stood up for most of the game.....but the Reign tied it in the third and won it on a 60 foot slapshot that leaked through Silovs for the winner. Really too bad, because he was stellar for most of the evening.

But it was a back-to-back for the Canucks, and at times their energy level dipped. But on the night, they deserved at least a point.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Abbotsford is up 2-0 after the first (on 5 shots on goal—I think they scored on their first two shots).

Tolopilo is in goal for the Canucks (stopped 12 shots in the first). Podkolzin is not in the line-up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another lost lead and another disappointing road loss to Ontario 5-3 with an empty netter.

Once again the teams were tied late, but a particularly atrocious bit of defending in their own zone led to the winner with just five minutes left in the third period. Second consecutive game the Canucks have coughed up a late goal and got zero points.

As far as individual performances, you can see where Bains needs to dramatically improve his game. The guy simply won't shoot. In the third period had passed up a wide open look in the slot to pass to a guy who was almost at the goal line. He did score once, when left alone in front. But he needs to spend the summer with a bag of pucks and a plywood net just working on his shot.

And it's hard to find many positive things to say about the blueline right now. Their zone exits are just plain ugly. Too often they just throw the puck blindly up the wall, with no idea if it's going to get out. McWard and Johansson have shown a bit of promise, but frankly I can't see a single guy on the blueline who'll have much impact in Vancouver.

I guess the parent Canucks brain-trust is happy with the coaching in Abbotsford. But should they be? A few individuals have improved, but as a team, I'm just not seeing much of a progression. Really hope that we'll be able to see D-Petey and Lekerimakki before the end of the season.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
I actually thought they played alright. First period, the shot totals don't do them justice. I thought they controlled the d-zone very well and limited Ontario to nothing but softies from the perimeter. Really tight effort.

Theeeeeen the second period happened, and a bad read in the neutral zone from Danila Klimovich ends up in the back of the net, and the momentum is in Ontarios favour from then on.

They dominated the 3rd period right up until the equalizer too. But that's going to happen when you're only running two forward lines at 5-on-5, and most of those guys are your PK and PP guys. Clearly tired on the game-winning goal. Liked the effort, but bad bounce on that one.

Since I pretty much jinxed Podkolzin into an NHL call-up where he played at a level that we have not seen ONCE in Abbotsford this year, I'm going to do it for Klimovich.

The guy who had it all click for him last season, turning from total bust to legit prospect on the strength of his forechecking effort, two-way commitment, and ability to control play at 5-on-5 while racing up shots and points in the bottom six. He's mostly looked like the Klimovich of his first year, or the first 15 games of last season...just has been MIA. A lot of that has to do with injuries, but seeing him not even show a shred of the same ability that he picked up last season is downright bizarre.

Probably Hirose's worst game as a Canuck... Dude is just so soft on pucks when under pressure. Gave up two glorious grade-A chances with his inability to hit the puck with his stick. Gets bowled over all the time...looks like he's maybe 150 pounds soaking wet. Still zero points.

Aidan McDonough is battling Ty Glover for a second-line spot, which tells you everything you need to know about his play this season. Picked up an assist, but is probably a point per-game ECHLer. Just doesn't have the hustle or work rate.

Anywys I briefly summarized last night's game for those who missed it!

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Theeeeeen the second period happened, and a bad read in the neutral zone from Danila Klimovich ends up in the back of the net, and the momentum is in Ontarios favour from then on.
Klimovich is finished in this organization. Benched for the rest of the game after that goal. His hockey sense isn't coming around enough and he's also being treated like a whipping boy at this point. I thought Woo made a really weak, half-in-half-out pinch on that play and put his forwards in a tough spot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Klimovich is finished in this organization. Benched for the rest of the game after that goal. His hockey sense isn't coming around enough and he's also being treated like a whipping boy at this point. I thought Woo made a really weak, half-in-half-out pinch on that play and put his forwards in a tough spot.
Yep.....not much doubt about it. Benning's two prized second-round picks Woo and Klimovich are playing their way out of the organization.

I know the previous regime gets props for draft picks like Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes.....and maybe Hoglander......but after that, my oh my!

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019

I simply can't wrap my head around him just losing his sense of how to play under Jeremy Colliton.

The guy finished the season with tied for the most goals at 5-on-5! 23 of his 29 points were at 5-on-5! The third most primary points (goals + 1st assists) at 5-on-5 on the whole team! The Canucks outscored competition at 5-on-5 with only two others players on the ice at 5-on-5 than Kilmovich: Kyle Rau and Christian Wolanin. They were +14 at 5-on-5 in his minutes! PLUS 14!

The 2023-24 Abby Canucks leader in 5v5 goal differential is Max Sasson, with the farm outscoring competition 31 to 20 at 5-on-5 in his minutes.

Klim was 33 to 19!

It's like things didn't go his way (injured) to start and he just never rebounded. It's really unfortunate because he'd made such massive strides last season. Was scratched four times in the first 15 games, then just blew up with 5v5 production.

Oh well, c'est la vie!

Reactions: Jay26

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Klimovich was a totally 'raw prospect' when he was drafted. He'd never played in a top junior league, and spent his entire amateur career in Belarus. Benning fell in love with him after an eye-popping scoring performance at the World Jr. Hockey championships.

He was immediately signed and came to NA as an 18-year old. Then, instead of loaning him to a team in the CHL, they stashed him Abbotsford, where he hardly played. I suspect money might have been an issue. He married very young, and couldn't earn a living wage playing in junior.

Regardless, last year looked like a breakthrough and that the Canucks patience would be rewarded. Then this season--a disaster from the outset with injuries, healthy scratches and poor play. I think it might be a 'confidence thing'.....as in he's totally lost it.

Where the Canucks and Klimovich go from here is a mystery. According to Cap Friendly, his ELC runs through next season (2024-25). So I suppose the Canucks could return him to the AHL for one more kick at it. I hope that is what happens.

Reactions: andora

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I simply can't wrap my head around him just losing his sense of how to play under Jeremy Colliton.

The guy finished the season with tied for the most goals at 5-on-5! 23 of his 29 points were at 5-on-5! The third most primary points (goals + 1st assists) at 5-on-5 on the whole team! The Canucks outscored competition at 5-on-5 with only two others players on the ice at 5-on-5 than Kilmovich: Kyle Rau and Christian Wolanin. They were +14 at 5-on-5 in his minutes! PLUS 14!

The 2023-24 Abby Canucks leader in 5v5 goal differential is Max Sasson, with the farm outscoring competition 31 to 20 at 5-on-5 in his minutes.

Klim was 33 to 19!

It's like things didn't go his way (injured) to start and he just never rebounded. It's really unfortunate because he'd made such massive strides last season. Was scratched four times in the first 15 games, then just blew up with 5v5 production.

Oh well, c'est la vie!
Klimovich played the first two games of this season, before he got hurt, and wasn't good at all. IIRC he was going to be a healthy scratch the next weekend but got injured in practice. I think they soured on him early and that was that. He's on the shortest leash that I've seen, substantially of his own making but I also wouldn't blame him for feeling that he's not gotten an entirely fair shake from the coach/management this season.

BTW, you mentioned Silovs not being dressed last night. I've wondered for the last couple of weeks if the Canucks might be looking for a veteran #3; they're in it to win it and probably would prefer to have someone a little better and more experienced than Silovs or Tolopilo in case of injuries. Silovs got a real chance, especially in Dec & Jan to carry the bulk of the workload and establish himself as a good starter and genuine #3-- and unfortunately he didn't pull it off. Tolopilo has gotten the majority of starts in the last month and if anything might have slightly outplayed Silovs thisi season. I had checked to see if there were solid AHL goalies on one-way contracts that non-contending teams might be willing to ditch. Magnus Hellberg in Pittsburgh (Wilkes-Barre) seemed like maybe the best option.

And, they claimed that sending Podkolzin down was just a "paperwork thing" for AHL playoff eligibility purposes but they could've done that on Friday morning, after the Vegas game. So I suspect that those guys are in play if the right trades are available.

Reactions: Jay26 and Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Abbotsford and Henderson locked in a 2-2 tie after two periods.....but only thanks to the work of Nikita Tolopilo. The Canucks were out-shot 20-2 and were shorthanded for most of the first 10 minutes of the second period.

Jet Woo was assessed a five minute major and was tossed for a ridiculous head-shot after the whistle late in the first period. And the Canucks took two more minor penalties early in the second.

Cooper Walker with his first AHL goal early in the first; and Aiden McDough tied it late in the second on a slick feed from Bains.

Unfortunately this Canucks team just looks mostly lifeless right now. Normally with your goalie standing on his head to keep you in the game, it energizes the bench. Maybe it'll come in the third period.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another third period, and another late goal given up and an empty-netter in a 4-2 loss. Lame third periods have been the story of this road-trip. This team is really into freefall right now, with a blueline that continues to struggle mightily in its own zone.

I guess they'll make the playoffs, only because a couple of teams at the bottom of the Pacific Division are so bad. But it really hard to see this group doing much once they get there.

About the only 'positive' from this night was the play of Tolopilo. Without him, the score is probably 6-2 or 7-2. He made a second period lunging save that was every bit a good as the larceny committed by Demko in the L.A. game. He's trending very well this season.

There were also flashes from Karlsson, Bains, and even McDonough, who looks to have improved his skating so far this year. But they're seriously missing Wolanin and Sasson, who look to be out long-term.

Same two teams face off tomorrow afternoon.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Woo got a match penalty for supposedly hitting a guy's head but it sure looked like a good clean hit to me, got him right in the chest.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Abbotsford leads Henderson 5-0 after two, Bains with a goal and two assists.

Silovs has stopped 19.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Abbotsford leads Henderson 5-0 after two, Bains with a goal and two assists.

Silovs has stopped 19.
It's 'Star Wars Theme Night' at the Dollar Loans Center in downtown Henderson. And so far, the force is with the visitors and the storm-troopers from Abbotsford have benefited from some of the worst goaltending I've ever seen in a pro hockey.

The Silver Knights were trying to close the gap with Abbotsford for the final playoff spot in the Pacific, but looks like the Canucks will end their road-trip with the same 10-point cushion in the standings.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There has to be something happening with Klimovich that we're not aware of. How to explain why he gets excluded from the lineup night after night.

In the first period tonight, an egregious turnover in his own zone by Jermaine Loewen gifted Bakersfield an early 1-0 lead. Why is he even in the lineup? And guys like Cooper Walker and Ty Glover, who've both spent some time in Kalamazoo this year, apparently are better lineup bets than Klimovich.

It simply doesn't make any sense that he isn't playing, game after game. This season has simply been a disaster for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad