Player Discussion Aatu Raty

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
To be clear, I’m not saying I don’t like Raty it that he isn’t useful. He’s instantly the best C prospect in the system by a mile.

I just don’t view him as a 2C and think he projects more as a bottom-6 type. And as the premium young asset coming back for a player of Horvat’s caliber, that’s pretty underwhelming.

If we got Raty back for Schenn, that would be getting a major thumbs up from me.

i think he is anywhere from a 1-4c but either he is an nhler or lou is pumping his tires cutting him late from training cam and calling him up twice this year.

i also think you are playing averages, but this guy is a yoyo and the top of the yo is quite high if he were to level out there. if you watch his limited highlight packages he is a clumsy skater with size, poise and a hard accurate shot that beats nhl goalies. fix the skating and he might be something.

age 16-17 2019-2020 he played mainly with a very good karpat u20 which won the u20 league. he had 21 points in 30 games and also did well in several tournaments. his name was in contention for 1oa.

2020-2021 his draft year and first covid year he played mainly with men in karpat-liiga, who have a poor year that sees them with 18 less wins and their scoring drop off by 42 goals from the season before, and he notches a brutal 6 points in 30 games. he was almost ppg in 7 games of u20 play though. no tournament invites. drops like a stone in the draft.

2021-2022 d+1 he has 1 point in 6 games for an again average karpat-liiga squad and then gets traded to a very good jukerit where he suddenly goes almost ppg. jukerit comes second in liiga by 1 point. he also has a great wjc and tournament season, then s scores 4 points for bridgeport in 6 playoff games. possible missed 1c talk starts up again.

2022-2023 d+2 - he has a great isles camp and is one of the last cuts. he goes to an average bridgeport squad and is . 5 ppg but he nevertheless gets called up. twice. he scores two nhl goals in 7 games. both decent snipes.

so i don't see how you can scout this guy as a 3c. you're playing averages on a guy who tracks like a sine wave. if he is a 3c he should not have been at a point in his development where he gets called up at 20 years and change and doesn't embarrass himself, let alone a second call up.

the one thing i will say is that lou let him get called up enough nhl games to burn an elc year. that is suspicious. so perhaps the isles have been pumping his tires this year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The floor for Raty is ‘not an NHL player’. Probably half of the guys in his rough prospect level don’t pan into NHL players.

Half of guys who are playing NHL games in their D+2 season don't make the NHL?

Legitimately asking, I don't know. Seems unlikely.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think he is anywhere from a 1-4c but either he is an nhler or lou is pumping his tires cutting him late from training cam and calling him up twice this year.

i also think you are playing averages, but this guy is a yoyo and the top of the yo is quite high if he were to level out there. if you watch his limited highlight packages he is a clumsy skater with size, poise and a hard accurate shot that beats nhl goalies. fix the skating and he might be something.

age 16-17 2019-2020 he played mainly with a very good karpat u20 which won the u20 league. he had 21 points in 30 games and also did well in several tournaments. his name was in contention for 1oa.

2020-2021 his draft year and first covid year he played mainly with men in karpat-liiga, who have a poor year that sees them with 18 less wins and their scoring drop off by 42 goals from the season before, and he notches a brutal 6 points in 30 games. he was almost ppg in 7 games of u20 play though. no tournament invites. drops like a stone in the draft.

2021-2022 d+1 he has 1 point in 6 games for an again average karpat-liiga squad and then gets traded to a very good jukerit where he suddenly goes almost ppg. jukerit comes second in liiga by 1 point. he also has a great wjc and tournament season, then s scores 4 points for bridgeport in 6 playoff games. possible missed 1c talk starts up again.

2022-2023 d+2 - he has a great isles camp and is one of the last cuts. he goes to an average bridgeport squad and is . 5 ppg but he nevertheless gets called up. twice. he scores two nhl goals in 7 games. both decent snipes.

so i don't see how you can scout this guy as a 3c. you're playing averages on a guy who tracks like a sine wave. if he is a 3c he should not have been at a point in his development where he gets called up at 20 years and change and doesn't embarrass himself, let alone a second call up.

the one thing i will say is that lou let him get called up enough nhl games to burn an elc year. that is suspicious. so perhaps the isles have been pumping his tires this year.

He’s a guy who matured early with a shot that he could rip by teenage goalies when he was 16-17.

Then everyone else caught up, his IQ and skating issues were exposed, and he fell in the draft.

Now he’s done a pretty good job of re-profiling as a potential big, gritty bottom-6 guy who might have 15-goal 3C upside.

I don’t see the skating or hockey sense to project him as a 2C. Nothing is impossible, obviously, and guys sometimes outperform reasonable projections. But I wouldn’t be thinking it’s a likely outcome.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
If he can turn in a solid 3rd line two-way C behind Petterson and (hopefully) one of the big 3 centers in this year's draft, then their forward group is looking solid. The top 10 is chock full of decent centers so if they miss out on the lottery they'd hopefully hit on a center, but they are so full up on wingers they will be forced to draft on need (which has never ever backfired on them before!!!).

Hopefully, they let Raty cook between Podkolzin and Hog so that they'll be comfortable being on a line together next season.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be clear, I’m not saying I don’t like Raty it that he isn’t useful. He’s instantly the best C prospect in the system by a mile.

I just don’t view him as a 2C and think he projects more as a bottom-6 type. And as the premium young asset coming back for a player of Horvat’s caliber, that’s pretty underwhelming.

If we got Raty back for Schenn, that would be getting a major thumbs up from me.
Well, the premium young asset should be the 1st round pick. Now where that pick actually ends up is unpredictable, but from the specific point of time from now till the trade deadline that's the best 1st rounder you're going to get at the deadline.

If say Fabian Lysell is a clear tier above Raty, I don't know if he is but for the sake of the argument lets say so, would you rather have the BOS 1st + Lysell or the NYI 1st (conditional) + Raty? The latter is a gamble but I feel like it's the better deal.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
There was a guy that used to play for the Canucks that a lot of people said had 2/3C upside, but really needed to work on his skating. Can't remember what his name is... Hopefully Raty digs deep into Canucks lore and gets inspiration from old whats-his-name and turns into a good skater! What the hell was that guys name again?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I guess it depends if you go by ‘draft +2’ or ‘20 y/o season’. He’s kind of a draft +2.5 guy because of his birthdate.

But yeah, of guys who are this sort of level in their age 20 season and play a few NHL games, probably close to 50% don’t amount to anything.

Reactions: m9

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i agree. it would seem to be a strong indicator of an nhl career.

unless lou was playing games by calling him up. which i would not rule out.

we will just have to trust canuck pro scouting.

Reactions: m9

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
The 1st overall hype never materialized. He dropped to the 2nd round for a reason.

He is not really lighting it up in the AHL right now either. This is a B level prospect.
He’s 20 years old and you expect him to light up the NHL after coming to North America?? I’ve watched multiple Bridgeport games, he’s going #2C potential 110%.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I’d be thrilled if he could develop into solid 3C. A position this team hasn’t effectively filled for a very long time.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is here. People get hung up on labels. Does he project to be a capable NHLer with some years under team control? Then it's a win.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He’s a guy who matured early with a shot that he could rip by teenage goalies when he was 16-17.

Then everyone else caught up, his IQ and skating issues were exposed, and he fell in the draft.

Now he’s done a pretty good job of re-profiling as a potential big, gritty bottom-6 guy who might have 15-goal 3C upside.

I don’t see the skating or hockey sense to project him as a 2C. Nothing is impossible, obviously, and guys sometimes outperform reasonable projections. But I wouldn’t be thinking it’s a likely outcome.

his shot also beats nhl and ahl goalies. straight up.

and when exactly did he reinvent himself as gritty bottom 6 guy? he's not remotely played out as a prospect yet.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Replacing prime-age impact players with depth players is not a win.

At the beginning of the season, I was with you in just wanting to see some success, even if they weren't a top contender. But they are 27th in the league. If you're going to tank by accident, you might as well commit. At this point the more bodies that are moved out of this dressing room, the better - there is some seriously bad mojo is hanging around this team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
At the beginning of the season, I was with you in just wanting to see some success, even if they weren't a top contender. But they are 27th in the league. If you're going to tank by accident, you might as well commit. At this point the more bodies that are moved out of this dressing room, the better - there is some seriously bad mojo is hanging around this team.

If this is the road you’re going down you should probably move Pettersson now too.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I guess it depends if you go by ‘draft +2’ or ‘20 y/o season’. He’s kind of a draft +2.5 guy because of his birthdate.

But yeah, of guys who are this sort of level in their age 20 season and play a few NHL games, probably close to 50% don’t amount to anything.
Ya, but he’s already played 12 NHL games as a 20 year old. So if he’s looked decent, as a rookie 20 year old in those games and has played responsible defense - as Alvin says he has - then I think he’s probably above a 50% chance of being an NHL player.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Well, the premium young asset should be the 1st round pick. Now where that pick actually ends up is unpredictable, but from the specific point of time from now till the trade deadline that's the best 1st rounder you're going to get at the deadline.

If say Fabian Lysell is a clear tier above Raty, I don't know if he is but for the sake of the argument lets say so, would you rather have the BOS 1st + Lysell or the NYI 1st (conditional) + Raty? The latter is a gamble but I feel like it's the better deal.
I liked Lysell in his draft year but he never really evolved. He is fast without much hockey sense and has bad tunnel vision at times. Also was terrible at the WJC. I would take Raty over Lysell any day of the week.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
If this is the road you’re going down you should probably move Pettersson now too.

I mean that has to be on the table if he doesn't re-sign this summer. They'll likely be trying to sell him on a short term retool but if he doesn't want to commit long term, what assets do the Canucks really have to build around right now? Hughes is not enough and Demko's future is not looking all that certain anymore.

This whole thing sucks and i'd be angry if decades of being a Canucks fan hadn't prepared me for this but we can't be burying our heads in the sand.

Reactions: vancityluongo

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Like a center version of Podkolzin, in terms of a prospect (floor, ceiling, probability of success) not play style.

Ends up a 2C best case or bottom 6.

Got the talent it’ll be about development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad