Injury Report: Aaron Ekblad placed on LTIR (regular season over, expected back "sometime" in 1st round)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yes. Still an overpayment. Ekblad being injured doesn't change that. And he will back for the playoffs anyway.
It was not an overpayment relative to the market. If you wouldn’t have been willing to pay that price, then you’d have to be okay to stick with Carlsson and Boom. Just the way it is.

Reactions: Great8Cam and zeroG

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Yes. Still an overpayment. Ekblad being injured doesn't change that. And he will back for the playoffs anyway.
I also believe the price is steep. Yet timing and type of player is basically perfect. Don't want Weegs to have to carry the team. He clearly ran out of gas last year at the end

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It was not an overpayment relative to the market.

It's the going price. There's not another Chiarot in the marketplace who'd possibly be cheaper or more expensive to acquire which then would determine whether this trade was an overpayment or not. But the overpayment in here is that it took Zito until to the TDL that the Cats needed a big defensive dman when they could've acquired one a lot sooner. Now Chiarot likely ends up being a rental when they could've acquired a guy like Dillon with two 2nd round picks (+ maybe something else) and he still has some term left on his contract. Besides the "sudden" jump from Carl, Kiersted, Juolevi-category into Gudbranson-realm feels like Zito just realized couple days ago that he needs more muscle at the blueline.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
But the overpayment in here is that it took Zito until to the TDL that the Cats needed a big defensive dman when they could've acquired one a lot sooner

Im with you in that point, the only thing what always comes up. Most Teams believe there a still in the Race for a PO Place. Unlike Montreal, Phili, Seattle or Arizona where it was very clear from the Beginning, that wont be a PO Season, there are less Players on the Market.
Last Seasons it was rare, that we saw a big equale Trade during the Season.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's the going price. There's not another Chiarot in the marketplace who'd possibly be cheaper or more expensive to acquire which then would determine whether this trade was an overpayment or not. But the overpayment in here is that it took Zito until to the TDL that the Cats needed a big defensive dman when they could've acquired one a lot sooner. Now Chiarot likely ends up being a rental when they could've acquired a guy like Dillon with two 2nd round picks (+ maybe something else) and he still has some term left on his contract. Besides the "sudden" jump from Carl, Kiersted, Juolevi-category into Gudbranson-realm feels like Zito just realized couple days ago that he needs more muscle at the blueline.
That’s you winging it and bullshitting with no actual knowledge, i.e. being a modern journalist.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Ah yes, because Zito totally woke up the other day and said, “hey, today feels like a good day to get a defenseman”

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
Supply and demand, it's quite simple actually. D-men with the sum attributes that Chiarot possesses are few, and with numerous teams having interest; that worked well in the favor of the Canadiens to hold firm in their demands. Mr. Zito's decisions, and his performance with the Panthers to date has earned the benefit of my doubt, at least.

In his post deal interview, Mr. Zito went into detail regarding the evaluation of Chiarot, and how important his fitting with the group was in this pursuit. He saw what he wanted, what he felt this team lacked and that Chiarot could provide that the best; and did what he had to do to get the help he sought.

In the end, if things work with him, Cup or not; just maybe he becomes more to this team than a UFA rental. Let's see how it plays out. Little doubt it should be fun having another pain in the arse in the lineup to play against.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
We've been rumoured in talks for Chiarot for months... So no
Which makes me naturally curious on what the ask was for a player like Soucy? More? I seriously don't see how that could be the case.

Maybe The Kraken just didn't want to part with Soucy, I dunno, but I also just don't see how Chiarot is THAT MUCH better than Soucy. I'm genuinely perplexed by this.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Which makes me naturally curious on what the ask was for a player like Soucy? More? I seriously don't see how that could be the case.

Maybe The Kraken just didn't want to part with Soucy, I dunno, but I also just don't see how Chiarot is THAT MUCH better than Soucy. I'm genuinely perplexed by this.
Zito knows what he’s doing. Chia has decent skill, is big, plays mean in the playoffs, and importantly Z said he fits the team perfectly.

To me this means a couple of different things. One, he’s adding an element that’s missing, and that’s goal mouth clearance of the Points and Mattthews and the Bergerons and especially the Marchands of the opposition. And it’s good physical play in the D zone corners. And thus he’s adding and not competing, he’ll feel like a valuable addition rather than a duplicate of someone else. I think the psychology of it is important for the team.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Zito knows what he’s doing. Chia has decent skill, is big, plays mean in the playoffs, and importantly Z said he fits the team perfectly.

To me this means a couple of different things. One, he’s adding an element that’s missing, and that’s goal mouth clearance of the Points and Mattthews and the Bergerons and especially the Marchands of the opposition. And it’s good physical play in the D zone corners. And thus he’s adding and not competing, he’ll feel like a valuable addition rather than a duplicate of someone else. I think the psychology of it is important for the team.
Really, really, really hope your right. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Hey panthers fans can someone explain the cap situation now with Giroux and chariot. Ekblad is hurt but hasn’t been put on LTIR. Will he need to be put on LTIR or can he play during the regular season if he gets healthy. Will panthers be over the cap?

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Hey panthers fans can someone explain the cap situation now with Giroux and chariot. Ekblad is hurt but hasn’t been put on LTIR. Will he need to be put on LTIR or can he play during the regular season if he gets healthy. Will panthers be over the cap?
welcome to panthers fans favorite thing... communication in a timely manner... LBI means anywhere from 1day -> 2 seasons a player is out...

no idea with cap

Reactions: Nico Hischier

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
To me, it looked like an ankle sprain. Maybe inversion/eversion sprain. If that's the case, it could take weeks or even over a month before he feels comfortable and stronger. There's seven weeks left until round one starts. Hopefully healing and then rehab goes smoothly. I'm optimistic

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
So probably out most of the rest of the regular season but they seem confident he’s fine for playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad