Post-Game Talk: A win is always nice, 4-1 Jets

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Not to rain on the Jets victory but since the Avs clinched first place by beating the Canes last week they have not won a game even lost to the Kraken. They are coasting and just trying to stay healthy for the playoffs.
It certainly showed tonight that they were in full coast mode but the Jets did play a more complete game.
The biggest thing is the Av's top line was missing 2 of 3 starters, which was likely the difference.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It was happening before Sanford arrived anyway. To this day I just don’t understand what the Jets are trying to accomplish in developing it’s young players in middle to bottom 6 roles. It’s a never ending parade of offensively challenged, one dimensional players at the expense of their own. They have no real investment in Svech but their approach with Harkins is just nonsensical.

We need a fresh approach this offseason. Guys like Svech, Barron and even Harkins look like they have some skill. We need to try to run a top 9 that can foster some growth there. It's what all the good teams do.

I hope we don't get the same old same old with whoever coaches next year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Avs looked as disinterested as the Jets on most nights.

Samberg needs to be with the big club out of camp next Fall.
Nice game by Harkins
El Capitan had a good night as well.
Morrissey has just been flat out good. Put him in a proper structure and he’s a top pairing guy. He just needs someone else who is as well.
Connor getting 50 would be a nice consolation prize for him this year. He’s been fantastic game in game out and deserves better than what has transpired this season.
Nice dangle by Lowry, too bad he didn’t finish it. It’s bizarre how he can pull off things like that every so often and be just offensively void the rest of the time.

Season from hell almost over.

I mean Morrissey is looking like a legit top pairing guy on this team this year. Better structure and a legit top pairing RD partner and he may look like a number 1.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I mean Morrissey is looking like a legit top pairing guy on this team this year. Better structure and a legit top pairing RD partner and he may look like a number 1.
I agree he’s looking like a top pairing guy even this year. I actually don’t think the Jets blue line is as bad as some seem to think. Introduce Samberg and Heinola into the group, find some pairings that compliment each other and run a system that uses those strengths and protects some of the shortcomings.
The fire drill this team has been forced to run in its own zone for years doesn’t do much to help evaluate what we have. Almost every player brought in has struggled with it and the ones who have move elsewhere have seen improvements to their games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree he’s looking like a top pairing guy even this year. I actually don’t think the Jets blue line is as bad as some seem to think. Introduce Samberg and Heinola into the group, find some pairings that compliment each other and run a system that uses those strengths and protects some of the shortcomings.
The fire drill this team has been forced to run in its own zone for years doesn’t do much to help evaluate what we have. Almost every player brought in has struggled with it and the ones who have move elsewhere have seen improvements to their games.

I don't think our player personnel as a whole is that bad. Like you I think our awful defensive schemes and other systems play a big role in individual play.

I see this team having a strong puck moving dcore next year and what should be a strong top 9 if deployed correctly.

I guess we will have to see what happens.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I can't watch meaningless games, but in the highlights looks like lots of good shifts from our checking line.
Harkins was skating out there, trying to get another contract. Samberg looks at home on the Jets, and perhaps the most important assessment, the team plays better without Schmidt.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It was happening before Sanford arrived anyway. To this day I just don’t understand what the Jets are trying to accomplish in developing it’s young players in middle to bottom 6 roles. It’s a never ending parade of offensively challenged, one dimensional players at the expense of their own. They have no real investment in Svech but their approach with Harkins is just nonsensical.
Both situations piss me off, but yeah the Harkins one really hurts to watch. You can go back in my history and see where I was saying he couldn't keep up in the AHL, that when he had time and space he could wow you but he didn't get enough to be effective and he wasn't quick enough to create it himself. Then in one offseason he took about as big as a jump forward in development that I've seen from a prospect. For that he was rewarded by sitting on the taxi squad for the majority of the COVID season. Then this year he averages less than 10 minutes. The last two games that he's gotten an opportunity with skilled players he has 2G1A. Those 2 games came in a 13 game span. In the past two years his faceoff percentage is above 62%, and he isn't used as a centerman despite being very competent defensively. He hasn't sniffed the powerplay, yet Appleton and Sanford waltz right on. I like Appleton. As a 4th liner. He wasn't succeeding in Seattle, the third worst team in the league. Why would we play him on the powerplay? At all? Appleton does what he does, he skates in a line and forces pucks to the net. There is nothing cerebral about his game. How in the world could anybody, let alone somebody who was chosen to coach an NHL team, think that his game is more suited for the powerplay than Harkins or Svechnikov? At least Sanford is a little deceiving where like, yeah, he shows good hands here and there. It doesn't result in much, but I can understand having a casual glance at him and thinking "yeah, he's good, there's offensive skill there". There isn't, mind you, but I can understand it. I cannot understand watching Appleton, Harkins, and Svechnikov and thinking that Appleton is the way to go on the powerplay out of those three. Or anywhere higher in the lineup, for that matter.

200.gif

EDIT: Just to touch back to what I've been harping on about for years, it's just so discouraging to watch cerebral players get forced down the lineup in favor of players (some who once were cerebral) who'll adhere to the North-South low IQ game. If you're telling Svechnikov, Harkins, Ehlers, etc that they need to play a straight North-South game, then you're not using them to their strengths. You're telling them to throw away everything that has made them successful to this point to play a game that they're not comfortable with. Again, it's perfectly fine for some players. Use it for Appleton, that's the game he excels at, it's just a colossal waste to force some players to play that style. That's not to say they shouldn't be reigned in sometimes. It's just sad to watch the Wild for example yesterday score 5 goals in a period where if say Ehlers tried any of those plays and it didn't connect, he would be demoted or benched for it. These players made it because of their creativity. Let them be creative.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Both situations piss me off, but yeah the Harkins one really hurts to watch. You can go back in my history and see where I was saying he couldn't keep up in the AHL, that when he had time and space he could wow you but he didn't get enough to be effective and he wasn't quick enough to create it himself. Then in one offseason he took about as big as a jump forward in development that I've seen from a prospect. For that he was rewarded by sitting on the taxi squad for the majority of the COVID season. Then this year he averages less than 10 minutes. The last two games that he's gotten an opportunity with skilled players he has 2G1A. Those 2 games came in a 13 game span. In the past two years his faceoff percentage is above 62%, and he isn't used as a centerman despite being very competent defensively. He hasn't sniffed the powerplay, yet Appleton and Sanford waltz right on. I like Appleton. As a 4th liner. He wasn't succeeding in Seattle, the third worst team in the league. Why would we play him on the powerplay? At all? Appleton does what he does, he skates in a line and forces pucks to the net. There is nothing cerebral about his game. How in the world could anybody, let alone somebody who was chosen to coach an NHL team, think that his game is more suited for the powerplay than Harkins or Svechnikov? At least Sanford is a little deceiving where like, yeah, he shows good hands here and there. It doesn't result in much, but I can understand having a casual glance at him and thinking "yeah, he's good, there's offensive skill there". There isn't, mind you, but I can understand it. I cannot understand watching Appleton, Harkins, and Svechnikov and thinking that Appleton is the way to go on the powerplay out of those three. Or anywhere higher in the lineup, for that matter.

200.gif

EDIT: Just to touch back to what I've been harping on about for years, it's just so discouraging to watch cerebral players get forced down the lineup in favor of players (some who once were cerebral) who'll adhere to the North-South low IQ game. If you're telling Svechnikov, Harkins, Ehlers, etc that they need to play a straight North-South game, then you're not using them to their strengths. You're telling them to throw away everything that has made them successful to this point to play a game that they're not comfortable with. Again, it's perfectly fine for some players. Use it for Appleton, that's the game he excels at, it's just a colossal waste to force some players to play that style. That's not to say they shouldn't be reigned in sometimes. It's just sad to watch the Wild for example yesterday score 5 goals in a period where if say Ehlers tried any of those plays and it didn't connect, he would be demoted or benched for it. These players made it because of their creativity. Let them be creative.
Totally agree and that's why we need a completely new coaching staff , it's time. If Chevy doesn't do this he has to go too, 11 years is a long time for a GM especially when we look like we are going backwards not forwards .

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Went and had a peek at the Avs thread. Looks like the hockey professor has found a new home. Thank God.
He lives. The professor's calculations often remain shrouded in incomprehension and tend befuddle his class charges, however his prognostications are rarely incorrect. Now it appears that the mighty Rantanen has stirred his choklat bar fuelled heart.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

200.gif

Thanks, this is an expanse of insight. :thumbu:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oh my friends do you remember those heady days of yore?? Remember the serene calm of entering battle knowing the outcome didn't matter because your place in the final dance was already settled and your primary concern was that your prized warriors remain healthy until the real war begins?

In other words, we beat the Avs after our season is done and their real season hasn't begun yet. Big friggin deal. lol.

NIce that KFC is kickin it though!

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
They lost the last 4 without him. I liked the game tonight but they have to do that 60 times in the regular season! I do think Harkins found a spot and the subtraction of Schmidt shored up the defence but the pp is still missing a big shot from the point and a win in garbage time is like getting snow at the end of April!
If it's Sheif that is dragging down the culture/ causing locker room issues/ effecting team identity it could easily take multiple games to start sorting that out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

200.gif

Excellent post. Hopefully whoever comes in isn't rigid in their thinking and can create a system and environment for these cerebral guys to excel. This all out risk aversion nonsense pisses me off. There is a reason why the good teams keep finding these diamonds in the rough. They don't typecast players, they allow them to play their games and grow.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Nice to win. Certainly helps when your opponent has a bad night. The Avs were not at all happy with their effort or their details tonight. Happy for the home town fans at the rink to see a win against a top team in an otherwise pretty disappointing year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Obviously the Avs don't really have anything to play for, and were missing two key players.

That being said, I did like the way the Jets played overall. Except for the absolute brain cramp play by Stanley that I still don't understand.

Connor was the best player on the ice for either team by 10,000 miles. Not even close.

Samberg (while being a small sample size I know) should be written into the lineup in pen. He's better than Stanley, and I'd have more comfort with him over Dillon as well. It's all the little things he does, better hands, better breakouts, better defensive positioning, better at taking his man and trying to box him out, getting himself into positions to support his D partner, etc.

I agree with (and have said before), a previous poster that the Jets could move both Dillon and Schmidt in the offseason and replace them with Samberg and Heinola. And they could use that cap space to lock up PLD, and add an additional middle 6 skilled winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad