Post-Game Talk: A win is always nice, 4-1 Jets

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You're seriously underrating DeMelo. He's been a big reason why Morrissey has been so good this year

Plus he is a right handed shot.

I love Samberg but Demelo has been a rock all year. I think Samberg is going to be very similar to Demelo going forward. A steady presence on the backend who can move the puck very well. Needs the right partner going foward to be a real success. I would love to see them start him with Pionk next year.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You're seriously underrating DeMelo. He's been a big reason why Morrissey has been so good this year
Morrissey with DeMelo: 55% xGF%. Morrissey without DeMelo: 52%.

Stanley with DeMelo: 51%. Stanley without DeMelo: 44%.

Heinola with Schmidt: 57% (small sample alert). Heinola without Schmidt: 42%. Heinola didn't really see the ice with DeMelo.

Someone saw the above, and decided that DeMelo should be on the top pairing and Stanley should play with Schmidt. Instead of putting DeMelo at the bottom pairing and not having Stanley drown, or putting Schmidt on the bottom pairing with Heinola.

There is an argument that our pairings have been a much bigger issue than our player quality. Though given what a catastrophe Pionk and Dillon have been both as a pair and individually, it's not a super strong argument.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
It was happening before Sanford arrived anyway. To this day I just don’t understand what the Jets are trying to accomplish in developing it’s young players in middle to bottom 6 roles. It’s a never ending parade of offensively challenged, one dimensional players at the expense of their own. They have no real investment in Svech but their approach with Harkins is just nonsensical.
As long as Adam Lowry is guaranteed 15+ minutes of ice time per night it's always going to end up like this. Maybe the advanced stats show something better but his stick is the place pucks go to die. Then factor in that Sanford, Barron, Appleton have combined 7 points in 42 games played. Defense hasn't been great but I think the personal is there to at least be better with some systems and coaching changes. That said one off Pionk, Dillon or Schmidt needs to go to free up some cap space.

Reactions: DRW204

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Obviously the Avs don't really have anything to play for, and were missing two key players.

That being said, I did like the way the Jets played overall. Except for the absolute brain cramp play by Stanley that I still don't understand.

Connor was the best player on the ice for either team by 10,000 miles. Not even close.

Samberg (while being a small sample size I know) should be written into the lineup in pen. He's better than Stanley, and I'd have more comfort with him over Dillon as well. It's all the little things he does, better hands, better breakouts, better defensive positioning, better at taking his man and trying to box him out, getting himself into positions to support his D partner, etc.

I agree with (and have said before), a previous poster that the Jets could move both Dillon and Schmidt in the offseason and replace them with Samberg and Heinola. And they could use that cap space to lock up PLD, and add an additional middle 6 skilled winger.
Samberg has been better than Heinola despite the hype Heinola gets around here.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Very nice win by the Jets. I think Morgan Barron could be a keeper. Really like his game and he moves fairly well for a big man. :banana:

Just wondering, have we seen Scheif for the last time in a Jets uniform. :sarcasm:

My hope is that he can get his crap together and be a leader of Jets like we thought he would be.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Also getting ice which doesn't hurt. I think most would agree that both are miles better than Logan Stanley. Who I hear is 6'7"
I wouldn’t say Heinola is miles better than Stanley considering Stanley is slightly better than Heinola is pretty much every metric this season.

Reactions: hockeyarena

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Also getting ice which doesn't hurt. I think most would agree that both are miles better than Logan Stanley. Who I hear is 6'7"
Screenshot_20220425-121445_Twitter.jpg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
As long as Adam Lowry is guaranteed 15+ minutes of ice time per night it's always going to end up like this. Maybe the advanced stats show something better but his stick is the place pucks go to die. Then factor in that Sanford, Barron, Appleton have combined 7 points in 42 games played. Defense hasn't been great but I think the personal is there to at least be better with some systems and coaching changes. That said one off Pionk, Dillon or Schmidt needs to go to free up some cap space.
I don't even consider these advance stats

But at 5v5 he's a -12, while getting 0.937 goaltending behind him.

Not all on him, his wingers haven't been great either. However for being the vet making 3.5m and center of the line you'd hope he can elevate that line to respectable numbers.

Hopefully next year he can put up close to 20gs/0.5 ppg or drive offense for a couple wingers to hit those feats. We aren't getting anywhere with no offense out of the third line. And chances are slim they veer off him as a 3c.

Reactions: surixon

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Samberg has been better than Heinola despite the hype Heinola gets around here.
I would say Samberg has looked better than Heinola as well this year, but many including myself thought that could happen this year. Samberg is 23, has a bigger frame, and played a few years in the NCAA.

They play different games, but I also think Heinola will be a good player for the Jets as well.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I would say Samberg has looked better than Heinola as well this year, but many including myself thought that could happen this year. Samberg is 23, has a bigger frame, and played a few years in the NCAA.

They play different games, but I also think Heinola will be a good player for the Jets as well.
Yeah the age gap is for sure a factor to consider. Heinola as a 23 year old looks like what as an nhl player?

I also think Heinola started trending really nicely as he got More gp. He has that rough game against FLA who at the time was on a huge scoring streak, but started to look more comfortable thereafter.

Garrett had a nice thread on twitter for this - click to expand

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed.
I like Sambergs game. However, he's also Played like 12 games now at 14 mins ATOI Bouncing between 2nd and 3rd pair. we saw Stanley play at a serviceable level through spurts last year, and followed it up with this year's showing. I'm tempering my expectations on samberg or heinola until they get more consistent gp. Neither have dealt with the rigors of an nhl schedule yet.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah the age gap is for sure a factor to consider. Heinola as a 23 year old looks like what as an nhl player?

I also think Heinola started trending really nicely as he got More gp. He has that rough game against FLA who at the time was on a huge scoring streak, but started to look more comfortable thereafter.

Garrett had a nice thread on twitter for this - click to expand

Probably like a 23 Morrissey, with more offense.
Which would be fine with me. Of course, that would require playing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Probably like a 23 Morrissey, with more offense.
Which would be fine with me. Of course, that would require playing.

Not a bad comp. Not sure he'll ever have as rounded a game but I think his playmaking should get him more apples then JoMo. Another comp I'd use is Girard on Colorado.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not a bad comp. Not sure he'll ever have as rounded a game but I think his playmaking should get him more apples then JoMo. Another comp I'd use is Girard on Colorado.
I think Samberg could be alot like Trouba just hopefully we don't pair Samberg with Stuart, oops, Schmidt for too many seasons.:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad