OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I like how they seem to self segregate like that now. Made the Penguins game I went to more tolerable than usual since I'm always on the other end. Used to be you could end up with a bunch of visitors around you no matter where you sat.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Hawks fan here, and was at last night's game. Just wanted to say that after having been to Nashville and Tampa in one week, you guys were much more intense and the atmosphere was better.

The upside down Tesla coil was absolutely B.A., though I sat right under it (Section 106) so the first time it went off, I nearly crapped myself.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Well, looking forward to seeing this beautiful Arena tonight!

My only concern is figuring out parking, but I figured we should be there plenty early enough that it shouldn't be too hard.

I was thinking about going to the Channelside garage if that's still open?

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
hey guys I'm a Pens fan located currently in Naples, FL. do you think I can find tickets at the arena before the game if I drive up there?

chris624

Feb 27, 2016
Leeds, UK
Hi chaps. Bolts fan from the UK here. Been watching Lightning live games live for over 10 years now (the time difference is a killer!) and never made it over to a home game (funnily enough I have been to away games in the NY area). Now I'm on a decent income it's time to start flying over to a few home games a season and I'm starting at the end of the regular season this year.

Got tickets sorted for the Leafs, Habs and Devils games at the end of March. I've tied it in to a family vacation and we're going to be staying in Kissimmee. The drive isn't an issue for me, I'm just very unfamiliar with the area around the arena and was wondering:
a) Is there a car park that's incredibly easy to access and be on our way back to Kissimmee?
b) I've seen on Ticketmaster that you can buy car park passes in advance. Do I need to do this or can I just pay on the day.
c) Are the car park tickets valid all day or from a certain point? I'd like to spend a bit of time in Tampa.

Btw, the reason I'm a Bolts fan is because last time I was in Florida, there was a certain cup final going on ;)

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Hi chaps. Bolts fan from the UK here. Been watching Lightning live games live for over 10 years now (the time difference is a killer!) and never made it over to a home game (funnily enough I have been to away games in the NY area). Now I'm on a decent income it's time to start flying over to a few home games a season and I'm starting at the end of the regular season this year.

Got tickets sorted for the Leafs, Habs and Devils games at the end of March. I've tied it in to a family vacation and we're going to be staying in Kissimmee. The drive isn't an issue for me, I'm just very unfamiliar with the area around the arena and was wondering:
a) Is there a car park that's incredibly easy to access and be on our way back to Kissimmee?
b) I've seen on Ticketmaster that you can buy car park passes in advance. Do I need to do this or can I just pay on the day.
c) Are the car park tickets valid all day or from a certain point? I'd like to spend a bit of time in Tampa.

Btw, the reason I'm a Bolts fan is because last time I was in Florida, there was a certain cup final going on ;)

It would be easiest to use one of the garages near the arena. They are easily within walking distance and most are available for use all day. The one I have used in the past is right down the street from the arena and right across the street from the Hooters at Channelside. You really don't need to purchase in advance. There is plenty of parking available for purchase the day of and then event parking open a few hours before the game as well.

Glad to see we've got some more fans from the UK. Welcome to the family :)

chris624

Feb 27, 2016
Leeds, UK
It would be easiest to use one of the garages near the arena. They are easily within walking distance and most are available for use all day. The one I have used in the past is right down the street from the arena and right across the street from the Hooters at Channelside. You really don't need to purchase in advance. There is plenty of parking available for purchase the day of and then event parking open a few hours before the game as well.

Glad to see we've got some more fans from the UK. Welcome to the family :)

Brilliant, thanks pal. My main concern was booking a parking lot then struggling to find it passing a bunch of others so I shall just turn up on the day!

I've seen a couple Bolts fans over here, always puts a smile on the face!

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
Went to the Bolts/Bruins game. Had an absolute blast. I'm a Red Wings fan that just moved to Clearwater. Bolts will be my #2 team now. I rooted hard for the Bolts in the SCF last year.

That game felt like a playoff atmosphere and had playoff type play. The crowd was loud, hardly any empty seats. Phenomenal setup around the area, Thunder Alley is awesome. My expectations were exceeded in every facet.

LightningVinny

Jul 5, 2005
I've lived in Central Florida my whole life, starting with being born in Clearwater and moving up the I-4 corridor and am now in Orlando and I've been a Bolts fan since the 1995-1996 season but I haven't ever been to a game or even been inside the arena there. That'll change this coming Saturday with the game against the Panthers. Super excited!

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
I've lived in Central Florida my whole life, starting with being born in Clearwater and moving up the I-4 corridor and am now in Orlando and I've been a Bolts fan since the 1995-1996 season but I haven't ever been to a game or even been inside the arena there. That'll change this coming Saturday with the game against the Panthers. Super excited!

Prepare to be amazed. Nothing like live hockey.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hello. I will be in Tampa in mid/late Oct and am hoping to catch the TB/FLA game while I'm there and maybe the DET/TB game if the flights line up (I live far from NHL hockey so I try to see as much as I can when I can - regardless of who's playing - although it's a bonus when it's good teams:)).

I have several questions that I'm hoping you guys will assist me with. First off, I've never been to Florida before and other than a a couple brief trips to Seattle, this will be my first time to the US other than Alaska. That said I can't see TB being all that different then other major cities.

What's transportation (buses, subway, lite rail, etc) like in Tampa? Should I be really concerned about getting a hotel close to the arena, or could I be a cheapskate and get one elsewhere and easily get to/from the arena (I typically hate paying for fancy hotels), or is this one of those things I should just suck up for convenience vs saving a few bucks?

Google maps shows "The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk" that is about a mile or so aware from Amile. Probably a reasonably manageable walk while half bagged after the game and/or a semi reasonable taxi/bus if needed. Everything else is either more expensive or cheaper and from the map really seems a ways away. However am open to suggestions. :)

Also, what sort of area is this? Is this directly downtown where there's bars and things to do? Again, never been there and figured I'd tack on a few days around the weekend get together I'm going there for to check things out and catch a game or two.

Lastly, how hard are tickets to get? Are these something I should get asap or are there usually lots available on/around game days? For example, the EDM game I'll be catching on the way home, I'll buy the ticket at the first chance I can.

Thanks.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Hello. I will be in Tampa in mid/late Oct and am hoping to catch the TB/FLA game while I'm there and maybe the DET/TB game if the flights line up (I live far from NHL hockey so I try to see as much as I can when I can - regardless of who's playing - although it's a bonus when it's good teams:)).

I have several questions that I'm hoping you guys will assist me with. First off, I've never been to Florida before and other than a a couple brief trips to Seattle, this will be my first time to the US other than Alaska. That said I can't see TB being all that different then other major cities.

What's transportation (buses, subway, lite rail, etc) like in Tampa? Should I be really concerned about getting a hotel close to the arena, or could I be a cheapskate and get one elsewhere and easily get to/from the arena (I typically hate paying for fancy hotels), or is this one of those things I should just suck up for convenience vs saving a few bucks?

Google maps shows "The Barrymore Hotel Tampa Riverwalk" that is about a mile or so aware from Amile. Probably a reasonably manageable walk while half bagged after the game and/or a semi reasonable taxi/bus if needed. Everything else is either more expensive or cheaper and from the map really seems a ways away. However am open to suggestions. :)

Also, what sort of area is this? Is this directly downtown where there's bars and things to do? Again, never been there and figured I'd tack on a few days around the weekend get together I'm going there for to check things out and catch a game or two.

Lastly, how hard are tickets to get? Are these something I should get asap or are there usually lots available on/around game days? For example, the EDM game I'll be catching on the way home, I'll buy the ticket at the first chance I can.

Thanks.

It's not a terrible hike, from the looks of it. I've parked that far away from Amalie before. :laugh:

Downtown really isn't great overall as far as nightlife goes, but just to the west of you is Hyde Park and south of that is SoHo (South Howard). SoHo is a little fratty the few times I've gone; I know less about Hyde Park. If you want something a little grittier, head east to Ybor (on that map, E 7th street).

I've never had trouble getting tickets, personally.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah especially in October you should have no problems getting tickets.

There is a streetcar that goes from the arena area (Channelside) to Ybor. That's the extent of public transportation besides buses really. Tampa is a very car centric city though the Lightning's owner is working to change that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah especially in October you should have no problems getting tickets.

There is a streetcar that goes from the arena area (Channelside) to Ybor. That's the extent of public transportation besides buses really. Tampa is a very car centric city though the Lightning's owner is working to change that.

That's unfortunate. Oh well. Hotel booked. Might even extend the stay and catch a 3rd game. Really looking forward to going.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hello ladies and gents!

I'm not actually a visitor, I just moved to Tampa from Connecticut and was looking for some general information about the area and Lightning games. Where does the younger population generally reside and where are some good nightlife options that aren't in sketchy areas? When hockey season rolls around, what is the best way to get tickets and how far in advance should I be getting them?

Thanks so much, you're welcome to PM me!

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Hello ladies and gents!

I'm not actually a visitor, I just moved to Tampa from Connecticut and was looking for some general information about the area and Lightning games. Where does the younger population generally reside and where are some good nightlife options that aren't in sketchy areas? When hockey season rolls around, what is the best way to get tickets and how far in advance should I be getting them?

Thanks so much, you're welcome to PM me!

Ybor is sketchy but you gotta do it once--if someone asks you what shoes you're wearing and if he can take a closer look at them, let him (he doesn't steal). There's a dance club or two here (I don't go to them, but I frequently park in the vicinity of Prana), a couple pizza places, a bunch of tattoo shops, a Coyote Ugly bar, Reservoir Dogs bar, lots of, like, hipster/scum-kids bars in Ybor.

Youngins generally go to South Howard (MacDinton's, WoB, etc., place where fratty people go) and Seminole Heights (somewhat sketchy, it's going through some heavy gentrification, place where hipsters go). I've spent precious little time in Hyde Park, but I think it's kind of the yuppie part of town. If you want the barely 21 youngins there's a Paddy Wagon and a World of Beer near that mall on Fowler west of USF.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Question from out of Towner visiting TB

My wife and I are taking the kids to Orlando over the Holiday and because my son is both a Canadiens & Lightning fan, we want to take the kids to the Dec 28th game.

Is it hard getting to the arena from Orlando?
How is the building?

Anything we should know about to help make the trip easy?

Thanks!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My wife and I are taking the kids to Orlando over the Holiday and because my son is both a Canadiens & Lightning fan, we want to take the kids to the Dec 28th game.

Is it hard getting to the arena from Orlando?
How is the building?

Anything we should know about to help make the trip easy?

Thanks!

I do that all the time. Stay in Orlando with the family and go to a couple of games. It is very easy. Just take route 4 heading west to the arena. With no traffic will take you a little less than an hour. Would just give yourself a little extra time due to traffic.

The arena is nice, very fan friendly like Thunder Alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad