A recap of the Jackets History

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Since it's possible the "blame ownership" topic in here began with a post I made, I am just going to come back in long enough to say that most of what's being argued back and forth on the topic of ownership is not related to anything I posted but I'm not going to reiterate my comments because why bother? Have an nice day everyone.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Since it's possible the "blame ownership" topic in here began with a post I made, I am just going to come back in long enough to say that most of what's being argued back and forth on the topic of ownership is not related to anything I posted but I'm not going to reiterate my comments because why bother? Have an nice day everyone.
It arguably started with post #15 and/or #22. Yours came later.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don't entirely disagree but you shouldn't reason backwards from that, that everything we do is wrong and everything this other team does is right.

Remember when Fleury got "stabbed in the back"?

Remember the 3 time cup winning team covering up for a rapist?

Remember the Bruins trying to sign Mitch Miller and the player leadership spoke out against it?

Personally I start with objective measurements (last place in the Eastern Conference for the 2nd year in a row) and I go from there. Is everything we do wrong and everything a first place team does right? Of course not. But I’ll worry about the mistakes of first place teams when we become a first place team. Until then I’ll focus on the mistakes that made us a last place team.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Rookie GMs, Rookie coaches. BPAs, Ownership probably only concern is the bottom line, I'm sure a winning team would be nice, but not a priority until ticket sales start being a problem.

The biggest problems I've seen is GMs who don't support their coaches, The only three good coaches we had (King, Hitch & Torts) in 25 years all embraced the city, took responsibility for the team and made the team better by giving it identity and a proven system. Their GMs all drafted and traded for players that I'm sure the coaches told them they wouldn't fit, but they did it anyways.

The one that comes to mind is Tyler Myers draft year. Total hitch player, Torts type too...we picked Filly. Was Myers a great player in hindsight? No. Could he have been in a good player in a Hitchcock system?

The problem is rookie GMs and Rookie coaches. Both of them. And Ownership signs off on all of this. Until money becomes a issue, nothing will change. As long they make money (obviously don't care how they look) it can be another 25 years.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
JD has forgotten more about hockey than I’ll ever know, but I do know a lot about managing large, complex projects. And I can tell there is a lot JD doesn’t know about managing large projects/organizations. While he spent most of his young life playing hockey and then broadcasting, I spent most of my young life studying statistics and evaluation techniques and solving real world problems. I would agree that McConnell shouldn’t routinely air his opinions in public, but I totally disagree with the idea that other people’s opinions aren’t as well founded as JD’s when it comes to running a hockey business. Heck, an undergraduate business major should know enough to have avoided the whole Babcock mess or at least known enough to not make it worse once it started to come out.
Apparently what JD knows and has forgotten that you've never known doesn't translate into successful teams when he is President of an NHL team.

I'll take you and your knowledge gaps over JD. Of course, I'd hire me over you but that's a different story:D

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
If I understood your post, you seem to be saying the Jackets never took on the McConnell's "personality."

If I understand your point, I would disagree a little. Going back to John H. whom I prefer to call Mr. McConnell, his personality was of someone very focused on helping others and "paying forward," very much like bringing and NHL team to Columbus as an act of paying forward to the Columbus community. The Blue Jackets have done a lot of community work and charity work in Central Ohio, from building playgrounds, to hosting disadvantaged kids in large numbers at Jackets games and raising a lot of money in various ways for good causes.That's Mr. McConnell.

Additionally, Mr. McConnell had a history of hiring ex-athletes and coaches into Worthington Industries. He hired many ex-college athletes and mentored them into management roles throughout the organization. A good example was Ed Ferkany. Ed was a great guy, an ex-football player and a college football coach. Ed's coaching career took him from several high schools to Western Michigan, the US Naval Academy and finally to Ohio State. When Ed wanted to leave coaching, Mr. McConnell hired him to sell for Worthington Industries. McConnell mentored him throughout his time with the company and Ed ended up as president of Worthington Steel. The Jackets have hired many ex-athletes to work in the Jackets' organization. It's not unusual in the NHL, but it IS Mr. McConnell's personality.

As an aside, some people might remember the story about Woody Hayes on a recruiting trip in Michigan when supposedly his car was dangerously low on gas as Woody was heading back to Ohio. The story goes on to claim Woody said he would push the car over the border if he ran out of gas before he would buy anything in that State up north. Ed told several of us sitting around after a round of golf that the true story was that Woody had hired him because of his experience in Michigan, and they had gone together to see several kids to recruit them. Ed said yes, they were heading back home when going down the road in southeast Michigan and the car WAS dangerously low on gas. According to Ed, Ed told Woody they needed to buy gas and Woody told him he was not going to buy gas in Michigan. Ed then said, "Woody told me, if we run out of gas YOU are going to push this f***ing car across the border!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad