A novel concept :The only change required is a change in the environment

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree with this... I certainly think they need to loosen up. But I'd submit the best way to do that is to actually play a simpler game.... stop thinking about how you can beat a guy, or make things happen with every play and rather just focus on getting the puck to the most open guy. Keep it simple, simple, simple.

Plus... these guys have all played enough hockey to know that they've run into some great goaltending and have made critical mistakes.

I'm not worried about their psyche 5 games into the season... they need to keep their heads down and keep working away. There is too much talent AND effort on this team to go unrewarded.

And as for MacLellan... nothing he's said is unfair or targeted... nobody is being thrown under the bus. When a Dman loses a puck at the blue line and gives up a breakaway, he already knows it and owns it. When McLellan says we need to tidy up our key mistakes it is f'n factual and everybody knows how they have contributed to it.

This is a responsible team going through a tough time... there is no reason to panic.
I used the term “thrown under the bus” talking about how Mclellan has handled some of his players publicly. For the record, I’ve agreed with everything he’s said when he’s said it. Just because he’s being honest about what he’s said doesn’t mean the players appreciate it. Other coaches keep those things in the locker room. Is it a problem? You’d need to be in the locker room to know that. Only reason I brought it up was because op was saying he doesn’t do that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
A team that's probably given up more oddman rushes than any other team in the league should be getting anything but looser. What really occurs to me is that a team facing weight of expectation for the very first time didn't much like it. Its all this hard work and expectation and stuff. Last season was pure fun and its literally impossible for a club to not enjoy its transition from loser to winner. Its automatic that the team would be enthused last season. That was novel, exciting etc.

This season it seemed like the dog days arrived in game 2 when the team looked outright bored if not a little sated after beating the Flames.

What is odd is how much their approach to that game was beat the Flames. Not really a hard task for them and they were quite elated, just in that one game. Seemed like they almost spent their excitement on the first game and then fell into a lull.

Its quite possible that there is an enthusiasm letdown after the thrilling ride the club had last season.
Good post. This is what I think may be happening too. What makes it tougher getting out of that funk are the injuries to Sekera and, especially Draisatl, those are two guys the team would lean on to get back on track.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Team looked much less uptight in this game. Reaction times were much quicker....execution was better. Much better systems play.
Maroons reaction after the first goal was priceless. :D

Just one win but the team played much better again tonight. Continuing to trend nicely. :nod:

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Anyone who is familiar with guymez' post history knows that they're not afraid to call out management or coaching when it's the problem. Gives more weight to their post.
OP gives a really good perspective with an accurate, critical assessment of our current situation without exacerbating it.

Totally agree that the boys just need to ease up on their sticks a bit to click this year.
Might be a bit of a climb with our start, but the team is good enough. Our mistakes are execution related, not personnel related.

Resiliency isn't always in game. It's over a few weeks like this that we get to see our mettle.

Great post guymez. I like that the hyperboles are called out while also not putting down any legit criticisms of other posters.

Thanks man. Just trying to read between the lines a little with this team. There were visible positive signs on display if one wasnt spending too much time overreacting. :nod:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No team can win without goaltending, it affects all players and how they play. We finally got some today.

Thats true but the team also helped Talbot out which made a big difference.
Their sticks were much more active against the Hawks....they took away many of the dangerous scoring opportunities. That helped Talbot recover his game IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thats true but the team also helped Talbot out which made a big difference.
Their sticks were much more active against the Hawks....they took away many of the dangerous scoring opportunities. That helped Talbot recover his game IMO.
Active sticks, 24 shot blocks, nonstop solid coverage, great puck support, good puck battle, giving hawks practically nothing all game EV. Goaltending-check
Solid team play-check
Classic road game-check

To me its not being loose that was the difference. I don't think they were actually loose. Its attention to detail and increased adherence to game plan and willingness to do that that made all the difference.

Last night was the result of a team willing to role up their sleeves and a workmanlike effort. Playing loose in this day and age is a bit of a misnomer. NHL success in todays system play is due to more, not less, focused attention and worry.

To that end the team last night was tight, not loose, semantics, haha, fwiw.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Active sticks, 24 shot blocks, nonstop solid coverage, great puck support, good puck battle, giving hawks practically nothing all game EV. Goaltending-check
Solid team play-check
Classic road game-check

To me its not being loose that was the difference. I don't think they were actually loose. Its attention to detail and increased adherence to game plan and willingness to do that that made all the difference.

Last night was the result of a team willing to role up their sleeves and a workmanlike effort. Playing loose in this day and age is a bit of a misnomer. NHL success in todays system play is due to more, not less, focused attention and worry.

To that end the team last night was tight, not loose, semantics, haha, fwiw.

Actually I agree in part.
When I use the word loose its more about not being uptight and squeezing the stick too much. That IMO causes a player to overthink which increases the likelihood of a mistake. It then becomes a viscous cycle.

It wasnt a perfect game by any means but the team wasnt overthinking nearly as much. That was evident in their decision making IMO. They were working smarter.
Now they need to build on that and carry it with them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Actually I agree in part.
When I use the word loose its more about not being uptight and squeezing the stick too much. That IMO causes a player to overthink which increases the likelihood of a mistake. It then becomes a viscous cycle.

It wasnt a perfect game by any means but the team wasnt overthinking nearly as much. That was evident in their decision making IMO. They were working smarter.
Now they need to build on that and carry it with them.
I think they were thinking more..;)

Overthinking? Whats that? hehe

jk aside, and just in response to what gets generally stated about goaltending, that a team feels more comfortable and trusting when a goalie is making stops its hardly ever stated that a goalie could get nervous when the team in front of them is not stopping anything. I don't mean just shot blocks but lanes, coverage, sticks, etc.

The TEAM works when everybody is on the page. A team gets looser, using your word, when it can breathe easier knowing that the team is doing its assigned jobs.

Anyway what we know is the gameplan works well enough when its adhered to.

The funny thing being in pro sports momentary relaxation only ever comes with hard work.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think they were thinking more..;)

Overthinking? Whats that? hehe

jk aside, and just in response to what gets generally stated about goaltending, that a team feels more comfortable and trusting when a goalie is making stops its hardly ever stated that a goalie could get nervous when the team in front of them is not stopping anything. I don't mean just shot blocks but lanes, coverage, sticks, etc.

The TEAM works when everybody is on the page. A team gets looser, using your word, when it can breathe easier knowing that the team is doing its assigned jobs.

Anyway what we know is the gameplan works well enough when its adhered to.

The funny thing being in pro sports momentary relaxation only ever comes with hard work.

Whats momentary relaxation? :huh: :D

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have no idea. Essentially its the result of not coming up with a better way to say it. heh

Or alternately its my typical employers idea of a break. "OK, you took a breathe, you're ready to go now"

Its all good...just giving you the gears. :D

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Sure they played a bit better but they finally got good goaltending. Simple as that.

But lots to like about the game besides Talbot. Lucic was very good, showed a lot of leadership and is faster (as expected). Auvitu actually looked OK and made a bunch of decent defensive plays and no real stinkers. Malone/Kass/Joker looked good but I might put Slepy on that line to give it a bt more size and speed. Put Joker with Letestu and feed those guys special teams minutes. RNH/Lucic/Stome had a nice game as well and Strome is about 20 times more effective than Eberle in every area except goal scoring. Yamamoto looking better but I'd still send him down after his 9 game audition. Be happy with the green lights on this kid and let him mature. Russell showed his value playing right side with Nurse who has taken another step. That pair should be able to hold on until Sekera gets back. I really like Russell as a swiss army knife elite 3rd pair guy who can mentor a kid and slide up to 2nd pair without a problem when we need him to do that. Somehow convert Sekera into a similar 2RHD and this defense is looking very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad