A novel concept :The only change required is a change in the environment

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I agree.
I do think that this coaching staff (based on what I have seen so far) seems to have a good sense of what the team needs. I respect the way they navigated things last season.
Pressure is a funny thing and this team is now having to get used to very high expectations.
Its a totally new element in their environment.
I have to think that this pressure is amplified playing at home as well.
I really think that this is the main issue and I sense that the road trip will help this team to loosen up and come together.

I really hope playing on the road loosens them up, and gets them back to not just being confident, but having fun again. If it's going to happen, you're right that it should happen on the road when the pressure will be taken off somewhat.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'd feel a lot better about the team if the upcoming road trip was to places like Colorado or Vegas... Not Pittsburgh and Chicago...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One of the problems is this team gained so many bandwagon fans that really don't know jack about the sport. Same thing happened after the cup run.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
One of the problems is this team gained so many bandwagon fans that really don't know jack about the sport. Same thing happened after the cup run.
Gained a lot with with the lotto win.

To bad this was not around the day the whalers beat us 13 nothing. John Short still had the best line. Thank heavens it wasn't broadcast

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Three big problems I can see off the top of my head:
1. We have a 20 year old superstar who's expected to lead no only our entire first line, not only our entire forward corps, but our entire team to greatness and SC victories. That's too much pressure to put on a 20 year old kid.
2. We have a 24 year old #1 Dman (VERY young for a #1 -- who else is that young and a #1 on their team, and is their team successful?) who emerged last season as a top-pairing Dman, and able to hold his own as the #1 Dman -- did so in game one, too. He's also expected to lead the Dcorps. Age and experience again just MIGHT be an issue, though, same with problem #1. Has he even played 300 NHL games yet?
3. Same with the other 2, except in net. We have a relatively inexperienced #1 who just played his first full season playing Vezina-caliber goaltending. Oh, and no established backup behind you, Cam. So don't mess up, now!

Yes, that's a sure-fire recipe for success, all in 3 easy steps. And that's not that half of it.

I really agree with this. Three of the guys we need to rely on are still learning the NHL game. This is not a veteran team, sure there are good veteran influences, but our game changers are all very very young (or still somewhat inexperienced in Talbot's case).

Young teams are generally more inconsistent than those who's stars have been around the game for a long time.

Look at the Leafs right now, they are a young team on the opposite side of the standings, red hot. But I can almost guarantee that the roles will be reversed, with the Leafs struggling, and the Oilers succeeding. Look at last year, there was one point where Matthews didn't score in what, like 12 games? Or there was the the end of last year when everything McDavid touched turned into points.

This team is still very much in its adolescence, and there are gonna be growing pains.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I agree with your post, and it's great to have perspective in this recent 4-game skid. A lot of factors have come together at the same time that has resulted in these losses:
  • sub-standard goaltending
  • below-average team-wide shooting percentages
  • top defensive pairing making basic mistakes
  • lack of right-wing offensive skill
  • injuries to Sekera, Drai, and Caggiula
  • vets like Jokinen being invisible
What stings me the most, especially being in Toronto, is that the Leafs are killing it right now.

However, there are positives in that many of the above will normalize (e.g. goaltending, shooting percentage) over time. Likewise, I think Larsson and Klefbom will return to form sooner rather than later. Add to that the returns from injuries, and we'll be flying again soon.

The team just needs to weather this storm and not crumble - understanding when these factors change, that they need to take advantage. I think the real view we'll have into this team's potential will be when Drai and Caggiula come back...

I expect a hard-fought loss again in Chicago tonight.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I really hope playing on the road loosens them up, and gets them back to not just being confident, but having fun again. If it's going to happen, you're right that it should happen on the road when the pressure will be taken off somewhat.

I agree with this... I certainly think they need to loosen up. But I'd submit the best way to do that is to actually play a simpler game.... stop thinking about how you can beat a guy, or make things happen with every play and rather just focus on getting the puck to the most open guy. Keep it simple, simple, simple.

Plus... these guys have all played enough hockey to know that they've run into some great goaltending and have made critical mistakes.

I'm not worried about their psyche 5 games into the season... they need to keep their heads down and keep working away. There is too much talent AND effort on this team to go unrewarded.

And as for MacLellan... nothing he's said is unfair or targeted... nobody is being thrown under the bus. When a Dman loses a puck at the blue line and gives up a breakaway, he already knows it and owns it. When McLellan says we need to tidy up our key mistakes it is f'n factual and everybody knows how they have contributed to it.

This is a responsible team going through a tough time... there is no reason to panic.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Anyone who is familiar with guymez' post history knows that they're not afraid to call out management or coaching when it's the problem. Gives more weight to their post.
OP gives a really good perspective with an accurate, critical assessment of our current situation without exacerbating it.

Totally agree that the boys just need to ease up on their sticks a bit to click this year.
Might be a bit of a climb with our start, but the team is good enough. Our mistakes are execution related, not personnel related.

Resiliency isn't always in game. It's over a few weeks like this that we get to see our mettle.

Great post guymez. I like that the hyperboles are called out while also not putting down any legit criticisms of other posters.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
at this point its up to the GM ... He has handed the coach a team worse than last year especially with Talbot shitting the bed.
Is Byfuglien still in the dog house in Peg? They have been losing games so far this year. Auvitu, Benning, Nurse, Russell just wouldnt cut it especially with Klefa looking lost at times. I would trade Maroon+Puljujarvi for Byfuglien

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
at this point its up to the GM ... He has handed the coach a team worse than last year especially with Talbot ****ting the bed.
Is Byfuglien still in the dog house in Peg? They have been losing games so far this year. Auvitu, Benning, Nurse, Russell just wouldnt cut it especially with Klefa looking lost at times. I would trade Maroon+Puljujarvi for Byfuglien
Our issue is we have too many guys pinching and playing dumb on defense. Byfuglien is the king of that. I'd be all for taking a look at him, but he does nothing to fix our defensive issues.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Agree with Guymez for the most part, but tight or loose this team absolutely has to win at least 1 of these upcoming 3 games on this tough road trip. Hopefully either Chicago or Pittsburgh will take them lightly and give a half-assed effort, that would help.

Coming home with a 1-7 record only to face Dallas/Washington/Pittsburgh in the first 3 games of a 5 game homestand where they'll be under huge pressure would be a very bad place to be, and could crater their entire season as they hit November. It would be just like old times. :(

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
The reason as to our suckage is quite simple: Talbot has been bad, and our top pairing has been bad. Nothing else to it. Those issues fixed and we win.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
In the last 4 weeks I have done 12 Skype interviews for jobs. People in business use Skype for everything

Sure, it makes sense for interviews, meetings etc that need to be conducted at long distance. Not in the case of how Krueger was "let go". That all being said, every interview I've ever been to was conducted in person or initial conversation over the phone. I'm in sales. It really depends on the field of business and from what distances they are recruiting from.

Back on topic, 100% agree with the OP, and knowing you haven't hesitated to critique in the past, even more strength to these points.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't think a lack of fun is the problem of this team. I think they've had plenty of fun, they just seem to want it to be a nonstop blast. The reality of prosports and 82 game seasons is its a grind. Fortunately most teams have a very workmanlike attitude and limited difficulty approaching games with an honest degree of preparation and adherence to system.

I actually think what happened was the playoffs was a fantastic blast for this team. They got jacked for it, loved the excitement, and were all about that. They soaked it in, loved it. Good. But here we go to the NEXT season and the team managed to be jacked and ready for the first game but have seen bored since. As if normal games in the regular season schedule just aren't that much of a big thing. The Oilers, and McD went from being super enthused playing the Flames to not seeming to be up at all for the subsequent games. I think this club has trouble getting up for some games.

That said this road trip should help in that regard but I think the team has questionable attitude and approach. Many other clubs bring a better workmanlike attitude to games. We got beat by 4 lunchbucket efforts in a row. Teams that were just adhering to a gameplan and staying with it. The Oilers, conversely, often lack the commitment to play the team game.

The Oilers have a players coach, they have a players GM, a players owner, a brand new desirable rink and facilities. They have the best of the best in every regard. But it somehow seems so hard for them.

So far its just a mountain of excuses. The team could have come out and had great success to start this season. But they didn't seem to want it enough. Not as much as the clubs they were facing anyway.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thats pretty much what I am seeing as well. I think playing looser (less uptight) will be the antidote.

A team that's probably given up more oddman rushes than any other team in the league should be getting anything but looser. What really occurs to me is that a team facing weight of expectation for the very first time didn't much like it. Its all this hard work and expectation and stuff. Last season was pure fun and its literally impossible for a club to not enjoy its transition from loser to winner. Its automatic that the team would be enthused last season. That was novel, exciting etc.

This season it seemed like the dog days arrived in game 2 when the team looked outright bored if not a little sated after beating the Flames.

What is odd is how much their approach to that game was beat the Flames. Not really a hard task for them and they were quite elated, just in that one game. Seemed like they almost spent their excitement on the first game and then fell into a lull.

Its quite possible that there is an enthusiasm letdown after the thrilling ride the club had last season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
10 years of darkness has created Oilers uber trolls and a lot of negative reactions. People whose primary input on anything Oilers is to identify a fault, legitimate or false to support their personal favorite goats, and then ride it into the ground no matter what.

This season would have to end up a complete disaster before I would even consider making any significant changes. Last year was not a fluke. We had a solid solid group that played well, especially against tougher and tougher competition. Losing Eberle, Pouliot, Pitlick, and Reinhart for some replacements isn't exactly earth shattering.

So far the Oilers have had breakdowns. Some bad luck some bad play but have not played as bad as their record suggests. The group just needs to make a few minor adjustments and maybe get a bit of puck luck to get rolling.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So...bring us all up to speed. Defend your nonsensical post. Provide some detail.
You might have noticed that I have little patience for garbage ike this.

Unsubstantiated rumor and innuendo is not a legit basis for your post.
He does seem to throw players under the bus though. I know there have been multiple incidents but the one that I do recall was Mclellan calling Poulliot stupid after a game fairly early last year. It didn’t help as Poulliot stayed stupid for the rest of the year.

I’m not bringing this up as a criticism of Mclellan, just to acknowledge that he does do this. Players should have thicker skin but sadly many do not.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He does seem to throw players under the bus though. I know there have been multiple incidents but the one that I do recall was Mclellan calling Poulliot stupid after a game fairly early last year. It didn’t help as Poulliot stayed stupid for the rest of the year.

I’m not bringing this up as a criticism of Mclellan, just to acknowledge that he does do this. Players should have thicker skin but sadly many do not.

The one I brought up as well, by the end of Schultz's time here, McLellan basically said in his press conference that he should take a hike and get off the team. Entertaining for most fans because Schultz was public enemy #1, but not really necessary by the coach, and you certainly hope that doesn't happen to any player that you like on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad