Proposal: A need for Top 4 right shooting defensemen.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As someone who believes a large amount of the Leafs turnaround is due to Carlyle's system, I think a move to facilitate how he likes to play should be made. The Leafs in the off-season need to make a move for a one or two top 4 2-way Right Shooting defenseman. I don't know who is available but the UFA pool does look weak. Does anyone have some suggestions of a quality move. Here is what I would like the Leafs Defense to looks like at the start of next year.

Phaneuf-Gunnarson (or replacement).
Gardiner-xxx
Franson-Fraser

Non Starters (unless were talking Weber, Pietriangelo, Karlsson or Doughty)
Kessel
Lupul
Kadri
Phaneuf
Riley
Reimer (added in an Edit)

Would like to keep but would move at the right price.
McClement
JVR
Kulemin
Gardiner
Fraser
Franson (added in an Edit)

Everyone else is available, and would be willing to take high salary back in trades that involve Grabo, Komi or Liles.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
We really only need a vet RHD to play some important mins. It is clear that ROB is not even close to being that guy.

Too bad we didn't snag one at the deadline. It really would have sured up that back-end.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed, but I think the guy also needs to have a decent 2-way game. I think a perfect fit would be the equivalent of a right handed Gunnarson. Next year i would be interested to see if a Gardiner-Fraser pairing could be the answer to our 2nd pairing though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed, but I think the guy also needs to have a decent 2-way game. I think a perfect fit would be the equivalent of a right handed Gunnarson. Next year i would be interested to see if a Gardiner-Fraser pairing could be the answer to our 2nd pairing though.

Both Fraser and Gardiner play the left side. I also don't think Fraser can handle anymore then 3rd pairing minutes.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
RH LH aside.

I think eventually we should make due with:

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly/Liles-Fraser

Franson and Fraser have carved out a good pairing. However, Franson deserves more mins with a higher IQ offensive Dman; not to mention he has stepped up physically.

Fraser has been steady and if it means ushering in our top prospect or playing with the competent Liles, I would be happy.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I wouldn't mind attempting to snatch Mark Giordano. We may have to offer our 1st pick and say, Carter Ashton.

Phaneuf - Gunnars
Gardiner - Giordano
Fraser - Franson
O'Byrne

We'd have three pairings where one defenceman can effectively block shots and clear the crease. A shut down pairing of Phaneuf - Giordano when maintaining leads or against a healthy Pittsburgh. This need is even more pressing than a #1C imo even though I'd love a big C as well.

Morgan Reilly can spend another year in the AHL. We're going to have to make a big decision on whether to keep Gardiner or Gunnars in the following season. I'm leaning towards as he's a very fluid skater and could utilize that to defend positionally. Then again, I wouldn't mind placing Reilly into the third pairing first and leave Gunnarson with Phaneuf initially.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't mind attempting to snatch Mark Giordano. We may have to offer our 1st pick and say, Carter Ashton.

Phaneuf - Gunnars
Gardiner - Giordano
Fraser - Franson
O'Byrne

We'd have three pairings where one defenceman can effectively block shots and clear the crease. A shut down pairing of Phaneuf - Giordano when maintaining leads or against a healthy Pittsburgh. This need is even more pressing than a #1C imo even though I'd love a big C as well.

Morgan Reilly can spend another year in the AHL. We're going to have to make a big decision on whether to keep Gardiner or Gunnars in the following season. I'm leaning towards as he's a very fluid skater and could utilize that to defend positionally. Then again, I wouldn't mind placing Reilly into the third pairing first and leave Gunnarson with Phaneuf initially.

Rielly has to play in the WHL next year if he isn't with the leafs. Giordano is also a left-shooting defenseman I'm pretty sure.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Phaneuf - Gunnars
Gardiner - Giordano
Fraser - Franson
O'Byrne

Are you prepared to give up a 1st this year and a prospect and likely a roster D? Giordano is being penciled in as their future captain - those guys don't come cheap, if at all.

The best thing that can happen is if Grabo makes a late season push and brings his value up so we can trade him... Even that seems unlikely.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
We're going to have to make a big decision on whether to keep Gardiner or Gunnars in the following season. I'm leaning towards as he's a very fluid skater...

Kind of left us hanging there. Nothing against Giordano, he's a good player, but I'm against dealing our first round pick. We need them badly for future team development in my opinion. I'm on board with improving the D some more though. It's gotten better this year but of course can still improve.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Kind of left us hanging there. Nothing against Giordano, he's a good player, but I'm against dealing our first round pick. We need them badly for future team development in my opinion. I'm on board with improving the D some more though. It's gotten better this year but of course can still improve.

Exactly.

The time to give that pick away is when it's in the 20-30th overall spot in a normal-to-weak draft. If we aren't in the top-10 in the league we should be continuing to stock our young talent. Some teams have some much talent in the pipeline it's scary.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Next year:

Gunnarsson Phanuef
Gardiner _______
Fraser Franson
Ranger O'Byrne

Liles for veteran top 4 who can play 20 min. Rielly doesn't make the team I hope.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Next year:

Gunnarsson Phanuef
Gardiner _______
Fraser Franson
Ranger O'Byrne

Liles for veteran top 4 who can play 20 min. Rielly doesn't make the team I hope.

IMO Gunnar is a solid 2nd pairing guy, but lacks either the physicality or the offensive prowess to be a legit top pairing guy. I see more of Franson in that top-pairing than Gunnarson TBH, although Franson has done well played with Fraser.

Franson is only 25, and is on pace for a 45-pt season, has the size and offensive skill for top-pairing, and the only thing I'd be concerned about is footspeed.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
We don't need a shooting defenseman, we have enough of those with this lineup:

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-XXXX
Fraser-Franson

What we really need is a stay at home, minute eating RHD that can play with Gardiner on that second pairing. The best case scenario would be Dan Girardi or Kevin Bieksa, but likely it wiould be Stephane Robidas or Derek Morris. With the earlier two we woould get someone that could be considered a core piece (I Really want Girardi, but I doubt that would happen) with the later two we get someone who will be a short term option until someone else can take over.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
i`d love a guy like Kevin Klein on the Preds who`s RH. Versatile, mobile, can play the shutdown role, and has some physicality to boot

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs drafted Luke Schenn a RH shooting potential top 4 defender, with defensive and physical abilities, to be paired with an offensive DMan, that was intended to be groomed for exactly the position the OP is seeking.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
i`d love a guy like Kevin Klein on the Preds who`s RH. Versatile, mobile, can play the shutdown role, and has some physicality to boot

I'd like him too. He could fit with the team long term as well. He plays a lot of time on the PK, and will block shots.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Rielly has to play in the WHL next year if he isn't with the leafs. Giordano is also a left-shooting defenseman I'm pretty sure.
Yes, he certainly is. However someone who is as steady on the defensive side as him could play offside. I don't think it's a good idea putting Gardiner on his offside, because he isn't that great defensively yet.

Are you prepared to give up a 1st this year and a prospect and likely a roster D? Giordano is being penciled in as their future captain - those guys don't come cheap, if at all.

The best thing that can happen is if Grabo makes a late season push and brings his value up so we can trade him... Even that seems unlikely.
For someone like Giordano, of course. He's the type of guy that will be very important in the playoffs. In fact, I don't see any of the bottom picks rivaling Mark. Unless, Robert Hagg drops to 20, the pick should be considered moveable.

We could trade for a low first rounder or a top 2nd rounder during the off-season as well.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Leafs drafted Luke Schenn a RH shooting potential top 4 defender, with defensive and physical abilities, to be paired with an offensive DMan, that was intended to be groomed for exactly the position the OP is seeking.

Yep Schenn is exactly what we need right now on the back end. But I am of the opinion that the piece we got back for him, a 1A/1B LW that will likely score 55-65 points (probably 70 a couple of times) for us in the future (JvR) is one that is harder to get.

In burke I trust*

A top-four right handed defenseman holds a very high market value now-a-days considering that just about every team in the league wants one. I don't think its a necessity and the price it will take to get one will be pretty substantial. Either acquire a veteran dman who can play substantial minutes or continue to develop from within

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
How about Kevin Bieksa? If the Canucks fail to make a splash again this season, they may be looking to shake things up. I know the guy gets injured a lot, but he would look fierce next to Dion on the first pairing.
Thoughts?
On second thought, what about Michalek from Phoenix. Great partner for Dion as well. They might need to shed some salary this off-season depending on how the ownership situation turns out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yep Schenn is exactly what we need right now on the back end. But I am of the opinion that the piece we got back for him, a 1A/1B LW that will likely score 55-65 points (probably 70 a couple of times) for us in the future (JvR) is one that is harder to get.

JVR simply replaced Clarke MacArthur who put up 20+ goal 55-65 points seasons playing in the top 6. MacArthur was picked up for free off the scrap heap originally.

Now the Leafs are looking to replace Luke Schenn as he is exactly what the Leafs need a young, right handed, big, physical, hard hitting, shot blocking defender capable of playing top 4 minutes and partnering with an offensive partner giving the pairing balance.

Leafs have to seek such a player via trade because they don't appear to have his replacement internally.

Perhaps JVR can be used as bait to acquire this much needed top 4 dman now? As RH Top 4 dmen are in big demand around the league and costly to acquire as everyone wants them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad