a look back at the 05 draft

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i justed wanted to look back at the first round of the 05 draft an give some comments on some of the selections. because i feel some of the where pretty bad. any feedback would be nice because i will probably not be right one every one.

1. sidney crosby. nothing to say
2. bobby ryan. how could they pass on jack johnson they did not have pronger and niedermayer when they made this pick.
3. jack johnson. they where probably amazed by the facts that he was still available.
4. benoit pouliot. nice pick
5. carey price. i hate this pick. gilbert brule was still there and they did not take him
i dont understand that
6. gilbert brule. steal!!!!
7. jack skille. another nice pick.
8. devin setoguchi. how could they take setoguchi over kopitar:dunno:
9. brian lee. i like this pick. considerin the amazing defence the senators have they could afford to take a risk on lee who i think will be a homerun.
10. luc bourdon. very nice. ecspesialally now with jovanovski gone. bourdon will soon be ready for nhl action maybe even this season.
11. anze kopitar. another steal.
12. marc staal. i cant believe he dropped this far. the rangers have some quality defence prospects in staal and sanguinetti.
13. marek zagrapan. i see him as a little bit of a risk, but i hope this ends up as a good selection.
14. sasha pokulok. i dont now very much about him, but i think he whent too high. he could be good for the capitals dought. they need some defence that can shut the oponents down.
15. ryan o'marra. great pick.
16. alex bourret. i think this will be a homerun. just look at his development.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00070696
17. martin hanzal. ok pick. small risk, but mcardle or bergfors would have been better i think.
18. ryan parent. good pick should be solid.
19. jakub kindl. the red wings team needs some young talent. great pick. whent later then i would have thought.
20. kendall mcardle. nice pick. did also have to wait a little to long for him.
21. tuukka rask. great pick.
22. matt lashoff. ok pick. nice development this season.
23. niklas bergors. could be THE steal of the draft.
24. t.j. oshie. very nice pick. he had a great season with north dakota
25. andrew cogliano. i dont really now. i kind of wanted stoa on this one.
26. matt pelech. looks like a future bust.
27. joe finley. ok pick. caplitals sure was looking for defence on this draft.
28. matt niskanen. looks good.
29. steve downie. great pick. could be an amazing power forward
30. valdimir mihalik. i dont know. doesn't look to good.

Last edited:

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
I kinda like Cogliano, he won't be a star but I see him becoming a reliable player in the future. I sorta expect him to mirror Horcoff's progress in the NHL.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i like him to. but i like stoa better. cogliano could have gone to calgary instead of pelech. that would have been nice.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
well this was in 05 and they still had theodore. and they didn't know he was going to suck and trade him away. carey price stats from this season is not that impressive for a goalie of hi's caliber. i see brule as a better player then price in the the future. but they will both be great.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
well this was in 05 and they still had theodore. and they didn't know he was going to suck and trade him away. carey price stats from this season is not that impressive for a goalie of hi's caliber. i see brule as a better player then price in the the future. but they will both be great.

By the time Price is ready to be a starter in the NHL, Theodore will be a UFA and he would have been long gone from Montreal anyways. You don't make picks according to your current line up but rather the line up you project to have in 3-5 years.

Also, if all you look at is stats, then you have a very incomplete picture of what a player really is.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
By the time Price is ready to be a starter in the NHL, Theodore will be a UFA and he would have been long gone from Montreal anyways. You don't make picks according to your current line up but rather the line up you project to have in 3-5 years.

Also, if all you look at is stats, then you have a very incomplete picture of what a player really is.

i know that i just feel that brule would have been better. i dont even think price is the best goalie in that draft.

and i dont just look at stats. i have seen a lot of them play. and those i havent seen i go by stats and what i have heard. and i said i wouldn't be right on every one. thats why i wanted some opinion's.

Ryan O'Byrne

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario

I've read that price was wearing NHL size pads last year.I can't say for sure if he was ,but that would make him and his stats look not as good compared to the other goalies who wore there normal size pads.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
i see brule as a better player then price in the the future. but they will both be great.

You can't compare skaters to goalies and really say one is better than the other. Either way, a franchise goalie is more important than a franchise skater IMO (or great goalie better than great player, or good goalie better than good player, etc.)

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I've read that price was wearing NHL size pads last year.I can't say for sure if he was ,but that would make him and his stats look not as good compared to the other goalies who wore there normal size pads.

Yeah, he was wearing NHL size pads...

And he had an up and down season...was bad at the start, and good at the end. NHL camp aren't always good for young players...

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Price that early wasn't a great pick. Personally i don't ever see him becoming a franchise player, and passing up on Brule and Staal, Bourdon, Lee may turn out to be a mistake. Of course he still has time to change my opinion.
As a Florida fan, i like the MCardle pick. Still annoyed at where we picked though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
2. bobby ryan. how could they pass on jack johnson they did not have pronger and niedermayer when they made this pick.

Brian Burke went with what his scouts said, and it was that they thought Ryan was the better prospect. And in the draft, you don't select players based on need. Personally would have picked JJ, but the Ducks simply who they thought was better. Dislike the pick, but respect the decision making.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Theodore had been a holdout twice already, holding the team for randsom after his big trophy season. From what I heard from Gainey he said they felt they got the best player at that position and went with him after his interview since they loved his character and maturity. Only hearsay but I heard some talk that Brule was demanding to play in the NHL, but that could be completely untrue and pointless now anyways. The Habs made their pick and if it's a mistake, it won't be the first or last time just like with Kostitsyn.

But you bring up Price's average season (yes he did wear NHL pads even though he didn't have to, this year the goalies have to) But you discount the fact that at 17 he was one of the top goalies in the WHL. Maybe at 17 it was a fluke or the fact that Tri City was a weaker team and he couldn't step up. Time will tell, not a big fan of the pick, wanted Staal or Bourdon cause we are sorely lacking quality D prospects but I understood the pick and hope he has a big year. If the Habs took Brule there would be all kinds of posts about how the Habs took another small skilled forward, so they can't win. I expect Brule to be a great player so the Habs will likely regret the pick from that standpoint but it's not about one player, the Habs need to upgrade at a lot of positions, so hopefully they got their goalie of the future, although I've yet to be sold, although he did just turn 19, so he's got a lot of time still.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Price was taken way too high, as I still feal that Rask was the best goaltender available in that draft... Rask will be a star IMO.

Especially with Brule going right behind him.....ouch.

i feel the exact same way about everything you said:clap:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Brian Burke went with what his scouts said, and it was that they thought Ryan was the better prospect. And in the draft, you don't select players based on need. Personally would have picked JJ, but the Ducks simply who they thought was better. Dislike the pick, but respect the decision making.

sometimes you draft on need. just think about 2002 kari lehtonen was clearly the best player in that draft, but the blue jackets passed on him because they had pascal leclaire. and this year riku helenius was not the best player available at #15 but tampa needed a goalie for the future.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
:biglaugh: hahaha, please, explain.

i have compared what i have seen of him vs. the other guys and he just doesn't look as good as the other guys. i could be wrong dought. just my opnion. i'm not saying he is a bust. but i just dont think he will make it in the nhl, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
sometimes you draft on need. just think about 2002 kari lehtonen was clearly the best player in that draft, but the blue jackets passed on him because they had pascal leclaire. and this year riku helenius was not the best player available at #15 but tampa needed a goalie for the future.

Most places rated Bouwmeester over Lehtonen if my memory serves me correctly. The Blue Jackets traded up to #1 in order to make sure they got Nash, as there was an overly complicated side deal where CLB/ATL/FLA would take Nash, Lehtonen, and Bouwmeester in that order.

Teams really shouldn't draft for need. Most prospects taken out of the top 5 are usually 3-4 years away from really making an NHL impact. What you need today will most likely be very different from what you need 3-4 years from now. Best strategy is to take the best player, or at least who you think is the best player and accumulate assets.

And really, who you think is the best player available might differ entirely from what an NHL team thinks is the best available player.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
That most certainly wasn't true then, or now.

lehtonen is a goalie they take longer to develop. if atlanta had the #1 pick they would have taken lehtonen. lehtonen will prove himself this season i think. if he doesn't get injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad