a look back at the 05 draft

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If Bourdon doesn't fulfill all his potential, he can still be a solid 4-5 guy in the NHL, if he reaches it, he could be a good 3-4 guy possibly a 2 on some teams.

Bourdon has #2 on ALL teams and #1 on some potential. Why wouldn't he? The kid is a stud physically, has size, mobility, and isn't Cory Cross by any means in the offensive zone.

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
As to the Price pick, I was surprised as most people (Canadiens fans especially) were.

It was totally out of the blue. I had hopes for Kopitar but one thing I'm going to mention here is that I DID NOT WANT the Canadiens to pick Brulé. I saw him as another scrappy, skilled, small player.

The Canadiens have had many small skilled players in the past and many simply struggled. Each time another one was picked, even the Montreal press jumped on it slamming the pick for the obvious reasons (not that the Montreal press would be happy with pretty well any pick anyway... except maybe for a scrappy, skilled local boy - as long as he wasn't small too).

Bottom line, Price was picked. Brulé, Kopitar et al were all dismissed as their choices (if they were even strongly considered) and that's all there is to it. If it works out... great! If it doesn't... well, all I can do is to look at countless 1st rounders by other teams that never became what they were hoped to become.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
Bourdon has #2 on ALL teams and #1 on some potential. Why wouldn't he? The kid is a stud physically, has size, mobility, and isn't Cory Cross by any means in the offensive zone.

If by #2 you mean a guy like Ohlund on the Canucks who is good in his own end and has good offense (30 -40 points) then I'll agree.

I've talked to the guy and he has the Quebecois chip on his shoulder. His incosistency is supremely frustrating and he just can't seem to put it all together all the time. When I think #1 I see Staal, Johnson and Jonson, Phaneuf, Whitney and Seabrook in terms of youngsters. Bourdon when he was playing in the WJC camp against Staal looked seriously outmatched. Just my opinion.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
If by #2 you mean a guy like Ohlund on the Canucks who is good in his own end and has good offense (30 -40 points) then I'll agree.

I've talked to the guy and he has the Quebecois chip on his shoulder. His incosistency is supremely frustrating and he just can't seem to put it all together all the time. When I think #1 I see Staal, Johnson and Jonson, Phaneuf, Whitney and Seabrook in terms of youngsters. Bourdon when he was playing in the WJC camp against Staal looked seriously outmatched. Just my opinion.

It's sad to see that any points you have made previously or will make in the future are COMPLETELY invalidated by that comment.

Welcome to HFBoards where we make talent evaluations based on stereotypes as opposed to talent.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
It's sad to see that any points you have made previously or will make in the future are COMPLETELY invalidated by that comment.

Welcome to HFBoards where we make talent evaluations based on stereotypes as opposed to talent.

I spent half an hour with him after the WJC camp in Calgary, walking back to rez. I told him that I had hopes for him to make the Canucks lineup, asked him about advice I could give to one of my cousins getting into the game, how he enjoyed the CHL route and if he thought it was possible to keep up academics and hockey that way.

I speak french fluently and he refused to to talk to me in english the whole time. He hung out with only quebecois players. I'm not stereotyping, I'm just saying what I observed.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was yelling "BERGFORS!" at my moniter when Phoenix walked up to the podium. When they announced Hanzal I though, "that figures". I've yet to see either guy play a hockey game, though, so my opinion was and is worthless.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
I speak french fluently and he refused to to talk to me in english the whole time. He hung out with only quebecois players. I'm not stereotyping, I'm just saying what I observed.

The 'refused' part sounds fairly subjective.

Perhaps he felt more comfortable around people speaking french?

Other posters say he's from New Brunswick...are you sure you were talking to the right guy? :dunno:

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

If Bourdon turns out to be an Ohlund, the Canucks will have had one of the best first round picks of the '05 draft. I will guarantee you that much. Ohlund is a #1 on a large majority of teams in the league.

Cyclops II*

We all know that french people are ***** look at Gauthier,Beauchemin and all those ******* that play with a visor !

???

Not sure what your point is.

I am saying that the fact Bourdon comes from NB doesn't invalidate the comment. Making an assumption from one conversation with Bourdon invalidates the comment.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
The 'refused' part sounds fairly subjective.

Perhaps he felt more comfortable around people speaking french?

Other posters say he's from New Brunswick...are you sure you were talking to the right guy? :dunno:

To answer a few of my critics, or at least those who will listen to reason. I didn't make a stupid Don Cherry type comment about french player being soft or visors or another crap. If that's how it came across, I apologise.

Secondly, last I checkecd, Bourdon was playing in the QMJHL, the Q standing for Quebec. Sure it covers the maritimes, but a good majority of the players there are francophone. I also know that Bourdon's from NB. He brought it up actually, one I was telling him if he had started looking at a place in Vancouver. He commented on the price difference for houses between Vancouver and NB.

What I meant about the chip on his shoulder was about some of the comments he made. I asked him if it was difficult for players who wer francophone to mesh with the rest of team. He said that he and the other francophone players had to stick together t take care of each other, because some people try to take advantage of them or don't take them as seriously as the english speaking kids. To me that says he feels he has something to prove, hence I felt like he has a chip on his shoulder. I love Quebec, being from a francophone country myself, and I spent 4 months there, but quite a few of them have this " the rest of Canada is out to get us" attitude. If Bourdon feels like he has to prove that he can excel, I think it's a good thing.

He's a nice guy though. He spent half an hour with another teams fan just talking and giving hockey advice, not many 1st round draft picks will do that.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
We all know that french people are ***** look at Gauthier,Beauchemin and all those ******* that play with a visor !
Now that was a very stupid post...You should not generalize like that. You are as bad as Avery.

Randall Graves*

I see him being like Jovo...whether that's a good or bad thing..that's for you to decide.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
These Bourdon bash fest is getting out of hand. Bourdon has the potential to be a #1 defenseman. Booming shot, heavy hits, and can be used in any role neccesary. He was used as a shutdown guy with Moncton, a PP guy with Val D'or Foeurs, and an all around contributer with team Canada(and was put on the all tournament team for his play).

I don't see a single reason as to why he cannot become a #1 defenseman.

Randall Graves*

He will be a mainstay on team Canada and have the skills to land him a 6 year $35,000,000 contract? For me to decide, I'll take that.
You knew what I meant, million dollar ability, 10 cent brain although I don't think Bourdon is as dumb as Jovo or as skilled.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
You knew what I meant, million dollar ability, 10 cent brain although I don't think Bourdon is as dumb as Jovo or as skilled.

Bourdon isn't a brick on the defensive end :shakehead The only way he resembles Jovo is his speed, and hitting ability. Other than that Bourdon has shown that he has a harder shot than Jovo, and he has hockey better sense. If Jovo had more hockey sense he would be the best defenseman in the NHL. If Bourdon does turn out to be Jovo we got an absolute steal at #10 right there, because Jovo when healthy is a top 10 defenseman in the NHL(or was).

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004

Bourdon/Jovo is a poor comparison.. I see Bourdon more of a Rob Blake TYPE (key word) of player.

He is big, good skater, excellent hitter, gets out of position at times, but makes smart plays.

Bourdon is not the reckless type of defenseman Jovanovski is at all. No idea where that comparison came from, it is completely false.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->