A history of racist incidents (and false alarms) in hockey...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Has the Doan-is-a-racist sham been mentioned yet?

You'd be referring to that incident back in 06 when he received a Gross Misconduct for alleging uttering, 4X's, disparaging remarks about French Canadians XX?. :laugh:

Cleared by the league, Shanes' side of the story was that he was just trying to calm down a very upset Curtis Joseph & his remarks were either misunderstood or misinterpreted, certainly not directed at the officials or opponents.

When he was selected to Team Canada that spring to play in the IIHF Championships, an MP from Quebec, Denis Coderre, stood up in the House of Commons to protest Doans selection.

I dont know how it wound up, but ya, lawsuits were either threatened or launched, possible settlements made, who knows?....

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I dont know how it wound up, but ya, lawsuits were either threatened or launched, possible settlements made, who knows?....

I know Doan (rightfully) sued someone, somewhere, for the incident. Ladislav Nagy said it, not Doan.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Pejorative

That's basically what I mean by bush league. I don't mean where the player played, but how he plays. If he would be at home in Slap Shot, he's bush league.

I agree that PIMs don't matter. As for quantifying how reckless Marchand is, I'd say he's about a 9.

Pejorative phrases like "bush league" or weasel words perpetuate stereotypes which is the opposite of the objective of this thread. There are many clearer and more precise ways of expressing your sentiments.

Reckless describes all players with the similar attitude regardless of category from youth to women's to International to NHL without the stigmatization of a complete category.

Also your use of "bush league" misrepresents the history of hockey.
Harvey "Busher" Jackson, Floyd "Busher" Curry should not be grouped with the Brad Marchand types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busher_Jackson

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well put. You phrased it perfectly.

Thread over on the Business Board;
"Cherry might be sued" by Stu Grimson &
others for comments made on HNIC last week...

I know Doan (rightfully) sued someone, somewhere, for the incident. Ladislav Nagy said it, not Doan.

Ya, pretty sure it was Member of Canadas Parliament
Denis Coderre & it was settled out of court in Doans favor;
non-disclosure attached though dangit!.

Pejorative phrases like "bush league" or weasel words perpetuate stereotypes which is the opposite of the objective of this thread.

True. Even back in the day it was politically incorrect to refer to such leagues as the EHL, CHL, Northern Ontario Junior A League or whatever as "Bush". It's a derisive & disrespectful term. These are honest, hard working & talented individuals, players, coaches & managers, scouts & trainers who cared/care much about their profession & the sport; a rung on the ladder up or down. You ever call a call-up from a lower rung "Bush" you'd best be prepared to drop em' tuff guy...

:fight:

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Pejorative phrases like "bush league" or weasel words perpetuate stereotypes which is the opposite of the objective of this thread. There are many clearer and more precise ways of expressing your sentiments.
Sorry, I didn't invent the term. Dictionary.com defines bush leaguer to mean a player who performs at an inferior level or an inferior manner. Marchand performs in an inferior manner by being a danger to other players. It originally could mean simply a minor-leaguer as well, but I don't think anyone really uses the term that way any more. (thefreedicionary.com doesn't even include that as a definition - only the "inferior" sense.) In the way it's used now (and it's a well-known phrase, like it or not), it means amateurish, or unprofessional.

Basically what I'm saying is that the definition you're using of a bush-league player is an archaic one. And certainly not the only one. Francis Bouillon was not a bush-league player in the common sense of the term. Case in point, google bush league and Bouillon - the only hits are talking about bush league play in the sense that I mean it, with nothing referring the Bouillon in the sense that you mean it.

As for nicknames from the past, I think we all know that names they applied back then would sometimes not be seen as appropriate now. Words change in meaning an acceptability, you know, as we saw from the Kraut Line discussion. There are a number of baseball players in history who were called "Nig", for instance, and for the very reason it would be seen as offensive now. We'd never use that as a nickname now.

Of course bush league is a derisive term, it's used to deride something seen worthy of derision. Brad Marchand's play is worthy of derision; that doesn't mean all minor-league players are, and I didn't apply the term indiscriminantly, or in the archaic sense.

hockeyfan3474

Apr 22, 2024
the coach for the New York Rangers in 1990 was not Rick Ley, it was Roger Nielson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad