GDT: A game of utmost importance: Islanders vs Hurricanes 2/16/18

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you don't see anything wrong with tonight and yesterday, or overall about this team, you are just delusional.
I expect better than this.
I was at the Devils game and completely agree with you on that game. Team was terrible in their own end, I lost count how many times they turned the puck over last night in their own zone. I just can't agree about tonight. They absolutely deserved to win tonight but had godawful luck. They play this game 10 times the Canes win 9.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I was at the Devils game and completely agree with you on that game. Team was terrible in their own end, I lost count how many times they turned the puck over last night in their own zone. I just can't agree about tonight. They absolutely deserved to win tonight but had godawful luck. They play this game 10 times the Canes win 9.
But we have so many games like this in one season, where we have no luck, we should have won, but we lost. I just can't see that as a positive thing anymore. It happens way too often.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I know we're focused on the shots, but we had 13 scoring chances tonight, according to the Canes broadcast (which is almost always a bit biased toward the Canes since it's an unofficial stat). In 92 shot attempts, the Canes had 13 scoring chances. The Islanders strategy lately is clearly to give up shots from the perimeter while limiting rebounds, tips and screens. I've got to give them credit for understanding their (lack of) talent and tailoring a style they can win with.

It's certainly more interesting than a coaching staff that has one club in its bag and it uses it for every shot.

That's a good point, and it's one that was brought up in the game against the Devils. Peters appears to want the team to cycle the puck down low, eventually work it to the point, take a shot from there and cash in on any loose pucks/rebounds.

The issue with that strategy is many of our players are too small to cycle effectively, too many of our point shots end up being blocked before they come anywhere near the net, and too many of our forwards refuse to crash the net.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
But we have so many games like this in one season, where we have no luck, we should have won, but we lost. I just can't see that as a positive thing anymore. It happens way too often.

Bad bounces don't continue to happen over a decade. The players on this team are bad. They don't have bad luck, they have poor skill and loser mindsets fostered by stubborn, inflexible coaching and management that is more concerned with their own job security than winning

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Only if you don't follow this team at all. You can't tell me there wasn't some part of you that knew there was a good chance the game ended after that goal.

I was furious. I was livid, and oh so ready to take it out on you.

But then my timer went off, 'cause my chicken was ready. I went down, took the chicken out of the oven, got ready to steam some broccoli, sautee some onions....and while that was happening my roommate came in, who told me these wonderful opinions about the Clinton Foundation and Haiti, and cryptocurrency, and Alex Jones, and MK Ultra. Draining the swamp mighta been in there, it was a pleasant conversation.

Anyway I forgot what I was mad about, have a good night!

That's a good point, and it's one that was brought up in the game against the Devils. Peters appears to want the team to cycle the puck down low, eventually work it to the point, take a shot from there and cash in on any loose pucks/rebounds.

The issue with that strategy is many of our players are too small to cycle effectively, too many of our point shots end up being blocked before they come anywhere near the net, and too many of our forwards refuse to crash the net.

I noticed this too during the game. McGinn-Williams-Ryan spent 30 seconds trying to work it to one another along the boards, grinding it out 1v1. Then someone turned it over and the Islanders outleted easily.

That's why the Hurricanes under Peters have consistently had good advanced stats, but don't get the scoring that should come from that. They spend so much time on the opposing teams' boards, gunking up the game (also they have a pretty good zone defense when everyone is playing correctly, it seems if one guy is out of position everything goes to crap).

Of course the real problem is that guys like Ryan, Stempniak, Williams, McGinn, Rask, Skinner don't have above average size, speed or individual talent (Skinner is a wild card), ie a personel problem.

Also I noticed that few Hurricanes' forwards can cleanly receive the puck along the boards when the player on the opposite side whips it around.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

The cycle the puck down low worked for a while, (and seemed great after years of dump and chase) until it didn't. It gives the other guys the time to just clog up the slot. Then what do you do? Does Lindholm have the chops to snipe from the half wall?

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I was furious. I was livid, and oh so ready to take it out on you.

But then my timer went off, 'cause my chicken was ready. I went down, took the chicken out of the oven, got ready to steam some broccoli, sautee some onions....and while that was happening my roommate came in, who told me these wonderful opinions about the Clinton Foundation and Haiti, and cryptocurrency, and Alex Jones, and MK Ultra. Draining the swamp mighta been in there, it was a pleasant conversation.

Anyway I forgot what I was mad about, have a good night!

I remember those days. Things get better. You stop worrying about the Illuminati, and start worrying about what middle school your daughter got accepted to.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I never post on this board but often lurk and the amount of negativity is insane. Yes losing to the Isles and Devils b2b nights hurts our playoffs chances and they should not be losing to teams like the Isles at home but its hockey and there's a lot of variance. The Canes dominated this game from an analytic stand point and have been a top 10 team since the new year (in terms of analytics) The isles will not make the playoffs they're horrible so imo it's going to come down between the Jackets and Canes. The Jackets have a really tough remaining schedule. Anyone giving up on this team is just lost. They will be playing meaningful games all the way up until game 82 and imo will still make the playoffs.

Counterpoint: go f*** yourself. After paying for nine years of excuses and bullshit and millions of dollars under the cap and bad puck luck and we like our group, I've earned the right to be as negative as I f***ing like.

This team is stealing our time and our money. They put 44 shots on an .880 goalie. The expected rate of return should be five f***ing goals. But not for this team! Because This Is Hurricanes Hockey. And it f***ing sucks.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This night did nothing but drive home just how awful our offensive talent is as a whole. A whole bunch of set up guys, painfully few finishers. 44 shots on goal and few forced the goalie to really work for the save. Not gonna win many games when the bulk of the shots are at the chest. Which is odd, because against the Canucks the other night, the team was making a point of shooting at the corners (specifically blocker side high) and tonight, there was no obvious effort to place shots.

And both goals tonight (ignoring the empty net) were results of poor, poor play on our part. The first, Cam should have had. Didn't look like anything special in the arena, he just missed it. The second was all on Faulk flubbing the puck creating the breakaway. Frustrating to lose a game like that.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
At this point now that WC1 spot is completely unattainable does it make any sense to go for WC2? Is the gate from the 2 playoff games they lose by 7 to the Lightning or Bruins worth that much?

I'd be ecstatic to get swept in the first round. Because it means they finally broke the streak.

But it's not going to happen.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
They’re all big games now, I think,” Skinner said. “Obviously, there’s a little bit added sort of importance when you’re trying to take two points from someone your sort of in the mix with, but you need to pick up points as much as you can. … We’ll be ready.”

Jeff, why do I not believe you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad