a damn shame part 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Sources tell TSN that if any Olympic players, Swedes or otherwise, don't return to their NHL team in time to play regular season games the players may be docked pay for the number of days they are absent.

Individual NHL teams have the right to overlook a player’s unavailability if they so choose, but the NHL has made it abundantly clear all NHL players, as per the Olympic agreement, are supposed to be back with their NHL teams by no later than tonight.

Sources say the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation attempted to negotiate with the NHL an exemption for their gold-medal players, who are part of the celebration festivities today in Stockholm, but was told in no uncertain terms that all NHL players are expected back with their teams tonight and if they'e not, they may be subject to losing pay.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
The whole world is laughing about them these days.

The day will come where the RSL, SEL, DEL and others will be financially competitive and the NHL will cease to exist as we know it. That day isn't far. Good for the NHL Russia didn't win the gold, god knows how much money Abramovich and the likes would have spent to see Ovechchin & Company play in Moskow.

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
KrisKing said:
Seems fair to me.

just another example of how very little thought went into planning the entire process...

regular season games ended sunday feb 12th olympic games started feb 14th...

olympics ended yesterday feb 26th...

regular season starts back up 2moro feb 28th...

should've been more space...

if you're going to shut down the league for two weeks

KrisKing*

djavan said:
just another example of how very little thought went into planning the entire process...

regular season games ended sunday feb 12th olympic games started feb 14th...

olympics ended yesterday feb 26th...

regular season starts back up 2moro feb 28th...

should've been more space...

if you're going to shut down the league for two weeks

Actually I agree with you, the whole setup is pretty silly. That said, it's not like nobody knew the schedule going in, so it's fair that the players shouldn't be paid for games that they are not going to be playing. Of course the NHL managed to screw up the Olympics like they screw up most things, not a big surprise there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think none of the players celebrating in Stockholm mind giving up a bit of pay. I am sure it was worth it.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I'm sure the players don't really care if they miss out on a bit of money, they're celebrating this gold and having a good time, let them do so.

I almost feel bad for the NHL bureaucrats, they can't really have much of a life, just $$$ on their minds. Must be a pretty boring life if you think of it. :biglaugh:

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
KrisKing said:
Actually I agree with you, the whole setup is pretty silly. That said, it's not like nobody knew the schedule going in, so it's fair that the players shouldn't be paid for games that they are not going to be playing. Of course the NHL managed to screw up the Olympics like they screw up most things, not a big surprise there.

right, the problem is the piss poor planning...

and what bothers me is that these players gave of themselves unselfishly to as mr. bettman wants u 2 believe 2 spread the game of hockey 2 the world...

of course who wouldn't want 2 represent their country, but while planning that and interrupting the season u have 2 take into consideration simple things like travel...

in fact, it is an affront to fans - season ticket holders more specifically - of the nhl who will not see some of their stars or won't see them at their best which is expected considering the dizzying schedule some guys had...

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I am no fan of the current NHL executive group, but I have a hard time blaming them for this particular decision; seems fair and even-handed to me. Also, something tells me the players (as someone else noted) would be fine with sacrificing a few days pay to celebrate if that is what they choose and it is their choice.

While I think the NHL brass believes they benefit from the Olympic participation in terms of exposure, I have read repeatedly that the players were the ones that requested being able to participate in the Olympics and insisted it be included in the new CBA. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, I would appreciate a source because I have read several times that the NHLPA/players side pushed participation not the other way around.

I agree with others here that the compressed schedule regarding the Olympics is the problem. Unfortunately, another week off (more days on both sides) was needed to make the participation work, but I understand why that would be difficult when you look at the schedule. IMO, the participation was an improvement over the previous games regarding the way the qualification was held at a separate time and all players were made available for the same time period. Some of these issues will go away with the next (and possibly last with NHL players) games in Vancouver, but not all.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
The Swedish players themselves demanded a celebration today in Stockholm, well aware that they would arrive late. "If we get a pay-cut, then so be it" was Sundin's comment. Sundin and Forsberg were by the way the players that most wanted a celebration in Stockholm and more or less told the federation that if they didn't fix it, the players would fly to Stockholm on their own.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Personally I can't see the Leafs docking Sundin's pay. Some of the lesser guys might get dinged but why would teams like Toronto or Ottawa want to upset Sundin and Alfredsson, their team leaders? It just doesn't seem worth it.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Leo Naphta said:
The Swedish players themselves demanded a celebration today in Stockholm, well aware that they would arrive late. "If we get a pay-cut, then so be it" was Sundin's comment. Sundin and Forsberg were by the way the players that most wanted a celebration in Stockholm and more or less told the federation that if they didn't fix it, the players would fly to Stockholm on their own.

All great national teams only realize fully what they have achived when they come home and are welcome by the fans.

When germany got the silve in the football world cup '02, they came home pretty frustrated and were shocked by the reception on römer square in frankfurt; Players said things like "we didn'T realize so many people where watching, the tourney was so far away in japan after all". Stuff like that is sports at its best. savor the moments.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Force said:

The day will come where the RSL, SEL, DEL and others will be financially competitive and the NHL will cease to exist as we know it. That day isn't far. Good for the NHL Russia didn't win the gold, god knows how much money Abramovich and the likes would have spent to see Ovechchin & Company play in Moskow.

The RSL I can see, but the rest are either too small (SEL, Swiss League, Czech league) or the country isn't supportive enough of hockey (Gemany). It is perhaps possible for a Celtic/Rangers type situation in some of the smaller Euro leagues to develop with 1-2 teams able to compete for NHL players.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Force said:

You're not gonna catch up to the NHL based on the spending of rich boys and there toys alone, until you get the fan infrastructure there it's nto going to happen. It's off topic, but I personally think the problem may be because there is a RSL, SEL, DEL, and so on. It's set up just like Football, but doesn't have the same support. Right now they're all just roughly equivilent to the AHL over here. If it was a more North American type setup, one unified league with 20 or so teams only in the major cities of participating countries, with arenas that can support 18,000 people, (call it something like the International Hockey League), then you could go up against the NHL. The NHL would still exist pretty much the same, but we'd have to contract some teams. That could actually be pretty cool, sync up the playoffs with both leagues, making it 5 rounds, final round being between the two league champs for the Stanley Cup.

As for the party, anyone know if the Sedins were there, or did they head back home?

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Sedins celebrated in Stockholm. They will fly to Calgary late on monday night from Stockholm to play against the Flames on tuesday evening.

All other players will leave Sweden tomorrow morning.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Force said:

I guess if your prediction is right it's a win-win for everyone especially the NHL and its fans.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
So the NHL should shut down even longer so a group of players can celebrate a medal win? I don’t think so ------ those that can make it here it time, good for them, if not, oh well.

I think the “fine†is actually missing a game paycheck, something that is/should be covered by the CBA ….. I’m sure all participating players were/are aware of the fact that they will not be paid if they miss an NHL game because of the Olympics.

Really, it’s much ado about nothing

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Epsilon said:
how exactly is that good for the NHL and its fans?

A partly toungue in cheek comment about the possible decrease of Europeans in the NHL due to the posters continued over the top assault on all things NHL and North American.

SopelFan*

Tampa GM said:
Sedins celebrated in Stockholm. They will fly to Calgary late on monday night from Stockholm to play against the Flames on tuesday evening.

All other players will leave Sweden tomorrow morning.
Good boys.

mytor4*

Force said:

keep on wishing and dreaming. hockey is nothing without the nhl.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Leo Naphta said:
They just see the sensible thing :) There are duties and things that are more important than playing for a salary. It's that thing that beats somewhere in their chests ;) NHL GMs should try to find it in themselves, I think at least some of them have them too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad