a damn shame part 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
djavan said:
Sources say the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation attempted to negotiate with the NHL an exemption for their gold-medal players, who are part of the celebration festivities today in Stockholm, but was told in no uncertain terms that all NHL players are expected back with their teams tonight and if they'e not, they may be subject to losing pay.

The phrase "damn shame" is used waaaay too much around here.

If NHL players want to be able to take days off during the season, then maybe they need to have vacation days worked into their next CBA.

More seriously, the players seem to not have a big problem with this, so why are you getting all bent out of shape?

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Doctor No said:
The phrase "damn shame" is used waaaay too much around here.

If NHL players want to be able to take days off during the season, then maybe they need to have vacation days worked into their next CBA.

More seriously, the players seem to not have a big problem with this, so why are you getting all bent out of shape?

okay, for clarification i posted another perspective later in the thread... here it is:

of course who wouldn't want 2 represent their country, but while planning that and interrupting the season u have 2 take into consideration simple things like travel...

in fact, it is an affront to fans - season ticket holders more specifically - of the nhl who will not see some of their stars or won't see them at their best which is expected considering the dizzying schedule some guys had...

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
If it’s in the CBA, the teams have to follow the rules ---- furthermore, the dates that the league would shut down was clearly spelled out in the CBA --- a CBA the NHLPA was part of making, the players knew this before hand.

What’s the bid deal?

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
HockeyCritter said:
If it’s in the CBA, the teams have to follow the rules ---- furthermore, the dates that the league would shut down was clearly spelled out in the CBA --- a CBA the NHLPA was part of making, the players knew this before hand.

What’s the bid deal?

my argument isn't with the cba...

clearly if that's what both sides agreed to then that's the way it is...

far be it from me to change the rules in mid stream...

HOWEVER, common sense was lacking when both sides agreed to this setup...

MOREOVER, fans (read ticket paying) get screwed - which is the more relevant issue for me as to why it is a damn shame - because some players are not playing in their first games after the break and there not playing is not because of injury...

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
djavan said:
MOREOVER, fans (read ticket paying) get screwed - which is the more relevant issue for me as to why it is a damn shame - because some players are not playing in their first games after the break and there not playing is not because of injury...

That's odd, because your entire first post is based on how unfair teams are being to players who do not return in time. Your most-recent comment has nothing to do with that.

KrisKing*

Jussi said:
Like it was last season, during the lockout? Yeah, there sure was nothing going on in Europe without the NHL.

The European leagues are the most boring hockey around. Even the players said it. If the lockout lasted another year not many would have gone back.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Interesting.. during the lockout, it was all about the fans and the game. Now its about millionaires ability to party on work time. How is this fair to the fan who pays hundreds to go to a game only to find out that the star players couldnt make it back from a party or were hung over and thus played like crap.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
KrisKing said:
The European leagues are the most boring hockey around. Even the players said it. If the lockout lasted another year not many would have gone back.
Guys like Näslund, who aren't as good on the big ice thought it was boring :)

Just like I think NFL football is boring because I don't understand a bit of it ^^

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Doctor No said:
That's odd, because your entire first post is based on how unfair teams are being to players who do not return in time. Your most-recent comment has nothing to do with that.

some people see and read only what they want to... let me post all of my comments to let you know where i stand on this...

the whole setup is bad...

if i think about some more things that show poor planning i'm sure i'll find another reason..

initial post (taken verbatim from tsn story yesterday)

Sources tell TSN that if any Olympic players, Swedes or otherwise, don't return to their NHL team in time to play regular season games the players may be docked pay for the number of days they are absent.

Individual NHL teams have the right to overlook a player’s unavailability if they so choose, but the NHL has made it abundantly clear all NHL players, as per the Olympic agreement, are supposed to be back with their NHL teams by no later than tonight.

Sources say the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation attempted to negotiate with the NHL an exemption for their gold-medal players, who are part of the celebration festivities today in Stockholm, but was told in no uncertain terms that all NHL players are expected back with their teams tonight and if they'e not, they may be subject to losing.

follow up post:

just another example of how very little thought went into planning the entire process...

regular season games ended sunday feb 12th olympic games started feb 14th...

olympics ended yesterday feb 26th...

regular season starts back up 2moro feb 28th...

should've been more space...

if you're going to shut down the league for two weeks

later post:

right, the problem is the piss poor planning...

and what bothers me is that these players gave of themselves unselfishly to as mr. bettman wants u 2 believe 2 spread the game of hockey 2 the world...

of course who wouldn't want 2 represent their country, but while planning that and interrupting the season u have 2 take into consideration simple things like travel...

in fact, it is an affront to fans - season ticket holders more specifically - of the nhl who will not see some of their stars or won't see them at their best which is expected considering the dizzying schedule some guys had...

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
I had the perfect solution to this problem months ago...don't schedule a game 2 bloody days after the final when you know they are playing on another continent...when you know how much playing for your country means to most of the players who go over there.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I had the perfect solution to this problem months ago too! Don't release NHL'ers to play in the Olympics! Problem solved. Then whiners like Dan, won't be able to whine about the scheduling.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
djavan said:
some people see and read only what they want to... let me post all of my comments to let you know where i stand on this...

No need to start up with personal attacks.

And I'm referring to your original post. You were clearly mad enough to start an entire thread about how this is a "damn shame", yet the things you mentioned in your original post aren't the things you're apparently mad about.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Force said:
The whole world is laughing about them these days.

The day will come where the RSL, SEL, DEL and others will be financially competitive and the NHL will cease to exist as we know it. That day isn't far. Good for the NHL Russia didn't win the gold, god knows how much money Abramovich and the likes would have spent to see Ovechchin & Company play in Moskow.
The whole world, yeah sure :shakehead. The day the RSL, SEL, DEL and others will be financially compatitive, the NHL will still exist, why wouldn't it? There will simply be less European playing in the NHL, that's it. We Canadians will still watch it like always. There will maybe be less teams and frankly, that's for the better.

Jazz

I seriously doubt that the NHL owners are going to go to war with some of their best players over a single day's pay.

I think it was just them making some rumblings so that they players (after their justified celebration) make a straigt b-line back to North America and not stay any longer than they have to (ie, give an inch, but yield a yard)...Detriot has, without hesitation, given all 5 of the Swedish Wings the day off Tuesday vs San Jose, but were not willing to risk that they would be without them again on Wednesday in Anaheim.

twelve

May 19, 2005
Jukka Hentunen, Ville Peltonen and Petteri Nummelin played on tuesday. (They didn't have to travel far, but the game was also about 8h earlier than those of the NHL.)

They even were responsible for Lugano's two goals.

Just shows it's possible to play in the Olympic final and then play again on tuesday.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How did Mats look last night?

I don't think its a big deal. Everyplayer arrived on Tuesday, some where a few hrs late. Like Mats and the Sedins.

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Doctor No said:
No need to start up with personal attacks.

And I'm referring to your original post. You were clearly mad enough to start an entire thread about how this is a "damn shame", yet the things you mentioned in your original post aren't the things you're apparently mad about.

no personal attack...

i just wish you would read my entire posts and keep everything in context...

the whole setup is bad...

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
djavan said:
i just wish you would read my entire posts and keep everything in context...

But you were angry enough to start the thread with (ostensibly) only the material from your first post. You've since augmented your position, but why were you so angry to begin with? Certainly not just with the material in your first post.

Additionally, why not produce a list of every single player for which this was an actual issue last night? To my knowledge, it didn't affect anyone, despite what your initial doomsday posts would have us believe.

HughJass*

I can't blame the Swedes for doing what they are doing. National pride used to be a big thing in North America too. What happened to that?

National pride comes before NHL. Always. If some of you can't see that, then that's on you. If you are American, feel proud you are an American no matter how much others think you are being a bees-turd. Same thing the Swedes are doing. I love it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Force said:

The day will come where the RSL, SEL, DEL and others will be financially competitive and the NHL will cease to exist as we know it. That day isn't far. Good for the NHL Russia didn't win the gold, god knows how much money Abramovich and the likes would have spent to see Ovechchin & Company play in Moskow.

Maybe for the RSL and the SEL, but it ain't likely to occur in the DEL, for the good reason that this team have its home in a nation that SHOULDN'T be in IIHF's Top-10.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
As for the thread per se, if the swedes are so proud, they really shouldn't be concerned about losing their pay for 1 game or 3 days...

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
twelve said:
Jukka Hentunen, Ville Peltonen and Petteri Nummelin played on tuesday. (They didn't have to travel far, but the game was also about 8h earlier than those of the NHL.)

They even were responsible for Lugano's two goals.

Just shows it's possible to play in the Olympic final and then play again on tuesday.

I posted this in another thread, but I think this is an important point. Several leagues including the Sm-Liiga (Finland), Elitserien(Sweden) , and Del (Germany) leagues all had games starting again the same day as the NHL re-started play. Yes, there is less of an issue regarding travel and time change, but people are acting like the NHL starting back so quickly is unique to that league and it is not.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The European leagues will never be able to compete with the NHL.

For one, only certain teams in the RSL could offer similiar contracts to the NHL, and even then, it wouldn't be enough to draw any NA players to play in Russia, and with Ovechkin leaving this season, and Malkin next year, the young Russians still have a desire to play in the NHL.

Beyond the money, the NHL lifestyle is better then anything offered in Europe, they travel in chartered jets, stay in nice hotels, play in world class arenas and eat at the best restaurants.

Anyone see the "Outside the Lines" episode on ESPN last year that featured Brad Richards playing for Ak Bars Kazan, the guy couldn't wait to get home, it was obvious he didn't like living in Russia at all and really missed the NHL lifestyle.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Force said:

You are obviously the European Don Cherry, you hate everything to do with NA hockey. Its quite obvious.

The DEL is a fringe league, but keep telling yourself it is full of NHL caliber players, if these guys were so good they'd be in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->