Post-Game Talk: A Browning Achievement: Oilers defeat Agent 47 and the Feds

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
On a Wednesday night, at around 10:15 pm 4 days into Daylight Savings, during an entertainment event that had turned very fun, the crowd decided to have more fun and acknowledge someone who had been struggling. It did not feel any more complicated than that, to me, in the crowd.
100%
It was great on TV but I would have rather been in the building for that.
It was such a feel good moment. It made that game much more memorable.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Mike Johnson chimes in on the Brown moment in Wenesday nights game. I like that he mentions the play Brown made to Nurse...

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Just noticed that. Obviously someone on here complained.
giphy.gif

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Big, big shoutout to the fans at the game last night, with their incredibly classy standing O and support of a player in need of a lot of support and love. There's been people on here that say our fans drive players out of town. I don't believe it for a second and the display last night speaks to the exact opposite. Way to go, Edmonton!

Both can be true. There's a lot to be said for the way both stars and (certain) role players are treated, Klim Kostin, for example. There are almost certainly players that have been fed up with the criticism and encounters with free-speaking fans that are all too ready to voice their discontent outside of game situations. It's the nature of sports passion, it seems.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
That was one of the most entertaining games of the season, very happy for Brown. We sure love our scrubs and fringe players in this fanbase.

Interesting to me that we have a player in Edmonton who has had multiple 50-goal, 100pt seasons, Art Ross, Hart, one of the best playoff performers ever, who has given most of his prime years to the Oilers, yet the crowd at Rogers has never once chanted his name and he perpetually gets ragged on by fans on social media and call-in shows for being lazy and having bad body language.

The crowd hasn't ever chanted McDavid's name either. Will be a funny thing to tell the grandkids one day I guess.
Connor consistently gets the loudest cheers and there have been "MVP" chants many times.

Leon also always gets loud cheers when his goals and assists are announced.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
What? Kostin was well liked in Edmonton. In interviews he went on and on almost to the point of embarrassment about how much he loved Edmonton. Hardly an example of being ‘run out of town’.

Forgive the lack of clarity in my post. I was arguing that Edmonton fans can both love (some) and run (others) of out town.

Kostin was for me an example of a much loved, but flawed player, like Hendricks, Staios, or Marchant. That people have been hugely disappointed with Brown this season, but support him nonetheless because he is an honest player is terrific. But at the same time, players have surely been chastised and run out of town, your Joffrey Lupuls, Jordan Eberles, or even Taylor Hall to a degree.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Skinner robbing Ovi multiple times, McDrai catching fire for tonights showdown against the Avs, fun game.

Connor Brown scoring (beautiful shitgoal, haha) was that cherry on top!

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Forgive the lack of clarity in my post. I was arguing that Edmonton fans can both love (some) and run (others) of out town.

Kostin was for me an example of a much loved, but flawed player, like Hendricks, Staios, or Marchant. That people have been hugely disappointed with Brown this season, but support him nonetheless because he is an honest player is terrific. But at the same time, players have surely been chastised and run out of town, your Joffrey Lupuls, Jordan Eberles, or even Taylor Hall to a degree.
What a bunch of crap. I hate when ‘fans’ whine about fans running guys out of town.
Players are dealt all the time, it’s the GM’s job to improve the team.
Nothing more.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
What a bunch of crap. I hate when ‘fans’ whine about fans running guys out of town.
Players are dealt all the time, it’s the GM’s job to improve the team.
Nothing more.

Yes, the last parts are true. Is it not so, however, that both fans and media may influence a decision? Or that a player's experience affects his desires to stay or leave - and that he may be on the block as a result of these desires?

• Wow
Reactions: Stoneman89

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Yes, the last parts are true. Is it not so, however, that both fans and media may influence a decision? Or that a player's experience affects his desires to stay or leave - and that he may be on the block as a result of these desires?
So now it’s the “players desire to stay or leave”? They signed a contract, they need to honour it, if a GM wants to trade a guy without a no movement clause they will. If there is a no movement clause then guess what? The GM has to follow the terms of the contract. Has nothing to do with fan opinion.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I really hate this rhetoric of "Edmonton fans ran this guy or that guy out of town." Such crap. They were traded for other pieces, either because they were underperforming, or the GM at the time, thought there would be a better fit. I would say the majority of Edmonton fans are fair and supportive. There will always be some, in every city, and regarding every team in every sport that find nothing else but to criticize, no matter what. Edmonton fans recognize players that are pulling their weight and trying as hard as they can. Always been a blue collar type of city that relishes hard work. My post was reflective of the ones that are behind the team and players and it showed that night. I'm sure there were some others who were sitting on their hands, thinking about the next cloud they could yell at.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It’s tough to play here but the Canadian team that finally brings the cup back home to Canada will be immortal.
Absolutely. There aren't 6 other major sports for the Oilers to compete with. They win, lose, or otherwise, it's practically front page news. Probably the same with the Rider in Regina. The fans are incredibly passionate up north, and you're correct. Any of our teams win, and it will be epic.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
That was one of the most entertaining games of the season, very happy for Brown. We sure love our scrubs and fringe players in this fanbase.

Interesting to me that we have a player in Edmonton who has had multiple 50-goal, 100pt seasons, Art Ross, Hart, one of the best playoff performers ever, who has given most of his prime years to the Oilers, yet the crowd at Rogers has never once chanted his name and he perpetually gets ragged on by fans on social media and call-in shows for being lazy and having bad body language.

The crowd hasn't ever chanted McDavid's name either. Will be a funny thing to tell the grandkids one day I guess.
I think, as another poster mentioned, Edmonton is perceived as a blue-collar town and so many fans favor players with a strong work ethic, or at least with the perception of a strong work ethic, regardless of the actual results. This is perhaps the reason for all of the love towards hardworking players such as Brown.

Conversely, a lot of fans probably despise Draisaitl because, for whatever, reason, the way that he moves gives people the perception that he's lazy, which is actually far from the truth. And the bad body language myth is equally as inane. Of course, Draisaitl is going to seem frustrated when we're losing because he wants to win. I don't see that as a bad thing. But I think that some people are so convinced of their narratives that it clouds their judgement about certain players.

On another note, it was great to see the fans support Brown finally getting the monkey off of his back. Maybe now the floodgates will open for him, and heading into the playoffs would be the best possible timing for this to happen.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I do think he gets under appreciated sometimes but he would probably be the first one to tell you he liked the brown chants.
He's a great player, but I find him annoyingly lackadaisical at times. I can see him really deteriorating once he gets over 30.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad