Post-Game Talk: A Browning Achievement: Oilers defeat Agent 47 and the Feds

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
He's a great player, but I find him annoyingly lackadaisical at times. I can see him really deteriorating once he gets over 30.
To me, it doesn't matter how a player "looks" as long as he gets the results. This is why I struggle to wrap my head around all of the "lazy Draisaitl" bs.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think, as another poster mentioned, Edmonton is perceived as a blue-collar town and so many fans favor players with a strong work ethic, or at least with the perception of a strong work ethic, regardless of the actual results. This is perhaps the reason for all of the love towards hardworking players such as Brown.

Conversely, a lot of fans probably despise Draisaitl because, for whatever, reason, the way that he moves gives people the perception that he's lazy, which is actually far from the truth. And the bad body language myth is equally as inane. Of course, Draisaitl is going to seem frustrated when we're losing because he wants to win. I don't see that as a bad thing. But I think that some people are so convinced of their narratives that it clouds their judgement about certain players.

On another note, it was great to see the fans support Brown finally getting the monkey off of his back. Maybe now the floodgates will open for him, and heading into the playoffs would be the best possible timing for this to happen.
I think it helps that the team is winning more often than not. People therefore stopped caring about Brown's next year cap hit. And he's an ok 4th liner, who does not get slaughtered even strength and kills penalties.

Reactions: Messrules11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad