Post-Game Talk: 99 Points But Mitch Ain't One

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Sure it would be nice, but it should also motivate him to perform in the playoffs. What good is it if he had 180 points but Leafs perish again in the First Round? This is a team sport, winning is everything.

Nobody even talks about Gilmours big seasons, but we talk about the missed high stick.he took from.Gretzky in the playoffs or the wrap around goal in Game Seven double OT.

Take it as a sign from God, "you should focus on the more important issue" (playoff success).

i'm just happy there weren't any injuries. The real season starts now. Prove that you belong.
While I agree the playoffs are more important, I disagree that no one talks about Gilmour's regular season numbers.

Everyone talks about 99's best season. How Ovie is chasing him down. McDavid being the first to 150 in a long time, Karlsson reaching 100 points.

The regular season and personal accolades still have meaning and are important to players. Just because something is more important doesn't mean the other is meaningless

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Also a Leaf btw, more commonly known as Red Carr, he was quite a laugh and lots of stories

He had a gas station in Nanaimo across from the Newcastle hotel back in the mid 70s, strippers in the afternoon and fun at night

Don't hold me to it, but I'm pretty sure, Simpson was also with the Hamilton Tigers when they moved to New York to become the Americans

Reactions: Teeder Keon

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Duh, I read Holl.
:laugh: that's auto suggestion, the narrative is strong for Justin

I have never understood how people can hope for professional failure for a member of the team that they are almost to the point of obsession over.

Holl had a solid game except for Bill's indecision and than handcuffing him with that pass into his skates.

I remember when Gardiner use to make that same panic pass into his targets skates, usually getting the guy creamed in the process. You have to look down to even have a chance at controlling that puck. The last thing you want to do in the NHL is have your head down

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Mitch is a 100pt player regardless. Not sure how he didn't get an assist on the Matthews goal from last Saturday. Literally makes no sense to me. But regardless, that is not what this season is about. I know Mitch would trade a 100 pt season with even 1 single series victory at this point. He was our MVP start to finish. Not even close.

Hell of a year boys. Time for the real work to begin.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Mitch is a 100pt player regardless.

No, he literally isn't, that is the point.

With their playoff position wrapped up the sensible thing to do would have been to play the heck out of him until he got to the century mark and then rest him. But they blew it. Same thing as not giving Spezza a bit of ice time to make it to 1000.

Oh well, now they have 5 days of rest to think about it before playing the team they hid him from.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

With their playoff position wrapped up the sensible thing to do would have been to play the heck out of him until he got to the century mark and then rest him. But they blew it. Same thing as not giving Spezza a bit of ice time to make it to 1000.

Oh well, now they have 5 days of rest to think about it before playing the team they hid him from.
It's never been about personal accolades. Mitch had plenty of opportunities to hit 100pts last night and he didn't. No one person to blame for that. Nor should there be any blame, or shame in coming up short.

it may sting for a night or 2, but Mitch is a pro, he'll get over it. It will be a fart in the wind come tomorrow.

c'est la vie

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Playoffs are too far off from regular season
Used to be playoffs started only few days after

Players are going to get rusty
Nah mini training camp, they'll get at least 2 or 3 solid hours of pk/pp..... 3 or 4 hours 5v5 and get skated pretty hard on breakouts and such and a lot of deep tissue therapy, hyperbaric time and the like

They'll be as fresh as fresh can be in April

Maybe he'll be Xtra motivated to succeed

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I gotta say, I'm happy that we didn't bother with Patrick Kane. He's largely been a disappointment thus far, and even last night played a significant role in two goals against with his lack of defensive commitment. Perhaps he's holding out for playoffs, but thus far that acquisition looks underwhelming.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's never been about personal accolades. Mitch had plenty of opportunities to hit 100pts last night and he didn't. No one person to blame for that. Nor should there be any blame, or shame in coming up short.

it may sting for a night or 2, but Mitch is a pro, he'll get over it. It will be a fart in the wind come tomorrow.

c'est la vie

I know they say they don't care, but players do care. Sure winning is more important to most of them, but these were meaningless games anyways.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I know they say they don't care, but players do care. Sure winning is more important to most of them, but these were meaningless games anyways.
No one is saying he doesn't care, or shouldn't. All players want certain accolades, and when they come up short they have every right to be upset. But as I mentioned before, his personal success will always come secondary to team success. Mitch is a pro, he has probably already shifted his focus onto bigger and better things.

Reactions: ACC1224

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Also a Leaf btw, more commonly known as Red Carr, he was quite a laugh and lots of stories

He had a gas station in Nanaimo across from the Newcastle hotel back in the mid 70s, strippers in the afternoon and fun at night

Don't hold me to it, but I'm pretty sure, Simpson was also with the Hamilton Tigers when they moved to New York to become the Americans
Very nice work indeed Brotha
Impressive
GLG

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeppers 145 in a row
Longest active streak and only 1 higher (175 - Det in 2007) in the last 30 years.

I had no idea

I gotta say, I'm happy that we didn't bother with Patrick Kane. He's largely been a disappointment thus far, and even last night played a significant role in two goals against with his lack of defensive commitment. Perhaps he's holding out for playoffs, but thus far that acquisition looks underwhelming.
For all these guys its about playoffs. Kane, ROR, etc could all play like dog shit to this point - its the next 4-8 weeks that matter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Of course he cares but it would also be something that he'll get over pretty quickly.
Likely already forgotten, at least until the media brings it up.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Very nice work indeed Brotha
Impressive
GLG
Off the top of my head, amazing the stuff that's up there.

I took a cognitive test at my Dr's a couple of weeks back because I've been having some noticeable(to me) short term memory quirks, it was good but not great, I'm not 25 anymore, after all.

I've been trying to write a book for a couple of months to try to keep my melon occupied, and hopefully sharp. My next birthday starts with a 7, so you can understand my concern.

How you doing btw, bouncing back I would hope?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mitch is a 100pt player regardless. Not sure how he didn't get an assist on the Matthews goal from last Saturday. Literally makes no sense to me. But regardless, that is not what this season is about. I know Mitch would trade a 100 pt season with even 1 single series victory at this point. He was our MVP start to finish. Not even close.

Hell of a year boys. Time for the real work to begin.
I suspect someone at NHL will review that Matty goal .. I don't understand logic why it isn't an assist .. should be a secondary assist in my books

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad