SinBin: 9 Points in the first 9 Games (my guest post - #VGK9in9)

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
So I wrote a thing for SinBin today, expressing my optimism about the team's early schedule: http://sinbin.vegas/guest-post-nine-points-in-nine-games/

What started out as a friendly wager between Ken and myself has brought us to this point now: in the midst of a discussion about how poorly the Knights will begin this season, I suggested the possibility that the team could have a decent showing in October, due to a lengthy homestand and certain extenuating circumstances involving their respective opponents. Ever the realist, Ken is convinced that this will not be the case, but I’m afraid I’d prefer to believe the opposite, because it’s so much more fun that way. As a result, I’ve made the following wager which Ken gladly accepted:

I believe that the Vegas Golden Knights will finish the first NINE games of the season with at least NINE points in the standings.

A .500 record, that’s all. Shouldn’t be too hard, right? Just go 4-4-1, or 3-3-3, or even 2-2-5, whatever it takes. I really think it can be done, because sports is unexpected and the Vegas schedule is set up to surprise – after two games on the road to start the season, the Golden Knights come home for seven straight contests over three weeks, and I think they’ll be in the best position for some early-season success (the other 73 games are a COMPLETELY different story).

What do you think? Can it be done? And if not, how should I "pay up" the bet?

FIRST 9 GAMES:
10/6 at Dallas
10/7 at Arizona
10/10 vs. Arizona
10/13 vs. Detroit
10/15 vs. Boston
10/17 vs. Buffalo
10/21 vs. St. Louis
10/24 vs. Chicago
10/27 vs. Colorado

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'll have to read and respond a little later, but 9 in 9 seems a little ambitious to me. There's a decent chance I feel that way because I listen to more hockey radio and podcasts than a normal person and everyone's pretty much sure they're a 50-65 point team.

I'm always down for a sunshine pumping article, though. :laugh:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I'll have to read and respond a little later, but 9 in 9 seems a little ambitious to me. There's a decent chance I feel that way because I listen to more hockey radio and podcasts than a normal person and everyone's pretty much sure they're a 50-65 point team.

I'm always down for a sunshine pumping article, though. :laugh:

The biggest problem they will have this year is a lack of depth. When players get hurt there aren't going to be ready replacements for them. If they are healthy to start the year, they may get off to a good start like Sir Goose says (though I am hoping for a loss against Buffalo (in overtime of course). But when the inevitable injuries come, there will be a lot of hurting to deal with.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think we can split the series with Arizona, and get four points from Detroit and Colorado if things go right, would just need to steal three points from five games to hit nine points. Seems pretty doable.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sir Goose, I think you'll win that bet.

I posted this on another board here at HfBoards a couple of days ago about mirage teams that start the season well but fade away down the stretch:

VanIslander said:
:vegas Vegas could go 6-2-2 to start the season, especially given:

1. They will not ice split squads during the preseason games but instead players playing full tilt for good starting positions (e.g., many blueliners edging for starting time, forwards itching to get top-6 minutes) with veteran Fleury between the pipes and likely playing as if it's a playoff series from the get go.

2. Jack Adams trophy finalist coach Gallant has a history of getting a team to perform well and he lost his last job by starting the season with an 11-10-1 record and so is unlikely to tolerate a slow start again.

3. Vegas plays Arizona twice, Colorado, Buffalo and Detroit in their first ten games, all of which could be Knights victories.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Good article.

Like you said, definitely an optimist, though.

I think Dallas rolls.
We split with the Coyotes, perhaps an OTL point in there.
Agree on Detroit, I think that's a point at least.
Boston's going to need to sleepwalk. I think that's an L.
Beefalo is a loss, probably.
Agree on St. Louis, though I don't know if they're as good as you think.
Chicago is a possibility for a point, they went to OT 20 something times last season.
Colorado is Colorado, hopefully they get the win.

Seven points is my prediction.

You should get Ken's seats for a game of your choosing as a reward for your optimism if you win. :laugh:
I heard you on whatever other podcast you were on, and you probably only need to ask to get on theirs.

Last edited:

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
Doable with that schedule. 9 in 9 would be a nice start. 7 home games in a row should have T-mobile arena pumped.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Hello, Devils fan checking out the new team (Uncle lives in Vegas). I agree that 9 in 9 is attainable. I wouldn't be surprised if they did better than 9 points. This might be a deliberate act by the league to create positive "buzz". I feel like your team has great goaltending, good defense, ok offense. The two toughest games will Blues and Blackhawks. East teams will struggle coming west, and most other are at the bottom or in transition. Good Luck.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I think we can split the series with Arizona, and get four points from Detroit and Colorado if things go right, would just need to steal three points from five games to hit nine points. Seems pretty doable.

Sir Goose, I think you'll win that bet.

Doable with that schedule. 9 in 9 would be a nice start. 7 home games in a row should have T-mobile arena pumped.

Hello, Devils fan checking out the new team (Uncle lives in Vegas). I agree that 9 in 9 is attainable. I wouldn't be surprised if they did better than 9 points. This might be a deliberate act by the league to create positive "buzz".

Wow - it's very nice to see people sharing my optimism! Like I said, the remaining 73 games could be nightmarish, but those first 9 have the potential to give us something very nice to cheer about. :)

Good article.

I think Dallas rolls.
Chicago is a possibility for a point, they went to OT 20 something times last season.

You should get Ken's seats for a game of your choosing as a reward for your optimism if you win. :laugh:
I heard you on whatever other podcast you were on, and you probably only need to ask to get on theirs.

I will certainly bring that idea to him. ;)

KenSinBin

Jul 8, 2016
LV, NV
Good article.

I think Dallas rolls.

I'll give him a game if they have 12 points in the first 9.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Now, it's 5 points in the next 7 games, eh? :naughty:

And not so crazy optimistic is my summer projection that the team could start 6-2-2 in the first 10 games given the schedule, the line-up (goaltending, solid forward core and dmen UFAs playing for ice time and their next contract) and the coaching.

They play Arizona again Tuesday in the home opener, Buffalo and Colorado too in the first nine games. In fact, the next 7 games are all home games for Vegas. Imagine how much harder the Knights will compete in front of the home crowd!

Reactions: Sir Goose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad