PGT: 9/25 Europe vs Sweden - Europe stuns Sweden in OT and advances to final

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Salt Lake City and Vancouver are deep wounds that will never heal. Nagano too. This? Naah.

We had Torino. WTF was that????!! A gong show from beginning to end.

I think as a country we just pretend it never happened.

Nagano was a tough blow but that was a terrific Czech team with Hasek.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
part of this is what also CBC evaluated after the game. it was a bouncing puck and he would not be able in that speed to deliberately turn his skate.(Tatar)
It bounced back from pads to his,skate in split second. what you show is suprisingly not a goal, as they also explain. 4 of 5 times this should be fine, but they have seen this as deliberate as this was a pass from behind a net which was deliberately kicked in, without kicking motion.
again, this was discussed as it was very unussual not to have this counted.

It was mainly discussed as NHL took a different stance on the issue when it happened and followed up with a presentation of the reasoning afterwards. It did not come out well in the eyes of Canucks fans. Someone said this has been changed since then, I do not know. If so it would just rub in the above shown disallowed goal even further. Anyway, I think the situations are similar, but it does not matter much now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Subconsciously, Swedes are afraid to play Canada. First they lose to Belarus and now this. What other explanation can there possibly be? :sarcasm:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Subconsciously, Swedes are afraid to play Canada. First they lose to Belarus and now this. What other explanation can there possibly be? :sarcasm:
True. In 2004 World Cup they rather lost to the Czechs and completely gave up that game (1-6) just to not face Canada. They even lost to Slovakia in Vancouver, because they were too scared of Canada after demolishing Russia 7-3.

The only exception is the 2014 olympics, when they just COULDN'T lose to Finland in the semis, no matter what.

And now they lose EVEN TO TEAM EUROPE TO AVOID US AGAIN :shakehead

:laugh:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Europe winning is a great story, my only problem is the reality is likely to be Canada crushing them in three boring games.

I'm pulling for Europe to beat Canada because I think it'd both be hilarious, and the best possible ending. The team that was called a gimmick team and euro trash comes in and dethrones a hockey super power in a tournament that was tailor made for that super power to win and print money for Rogers.

From a practical sense, this is the worst possible situation. The games will likely be one sided defensive games that are a chore to sit through.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I didn't think I'd be going to the WCH but tickets are just so cheap.

I honestly think Europe plays hard nose Game 1. If Canada wins it then I think they take it in 2.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Europe winning is a great story, my only problem is the reality is likely to be Canada crushing them in three boring games.

I'm pulling for Europe to beat Canada because I think it'd both be hilarious, and the best possible ending. The team that was called a gimmick team and euro trash comes in and dethrones a hockey super power in a tournament that was tailor made for that super power to win and print money for Rogers.

From a practical sense, this is the worst possible situation. The games will likely be one sided defensive games that are a chore to sit through.

Why would it be hilarious, North Americas teams are the only ones to have beaten them. Sweden lost twice to them.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Even though Sweden were horrible, they still dominated team Europe.

Too bad Lundqvist totally **** the bed when it mattered, as usual.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

If Canada is crushing them why would it be 3 games unless they're so boring 2 games seems like 3.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC

Team Europe is no trash but win or lose, it remains a gimmick team. Gimmick doesn't mean mediocre, it means it makes no freaking sense.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Even though Sweden were horrible, they still dominated team Europe.

Too bad Lundqvist totally **** the bed when it mattered, as usual.

Did they dominate? Shots and shot attempts were pretty much even until Europe got the lead in the 3rd. That Canada/Russia game is what domination looks like to me, although many argued it wasn't happening there either :)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
late to the party. Got 2 words for y'all.

KICKED IN

Wasn't the kicking motion thing changed a bunch a while back to be more lenient?

I remember people going nuts over this goal:

http://www.thescore.com/news/732644

and the league stood by that type of thing being allowed now. Turning your foot to redirect and even ending up pushing the puck forward with your existing skating momentum is OK now. Just no obvious sweeping kicks allowed.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
even if the swedes didn't care, how the hell a D that includes Karlsson/Hedman/OEL/Stralman and Hjalmarsson can lose against "team Europe"? that D should have won the game by itself...

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If Hansen goes all out honey badger on Canada Europe will have a chance in the finals. ;)

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Yea I'm not understanding all this "gimmick team" talk.. like who honestly gives a rat's ass? It's still a team in the tournament and they still made it to the finals. I know I for one enjoyed watching the hell out of team NA. Stop being so serious... this is a sporting event not some super important world dilemma.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad