PGT: 9/25 Europe vs Sweden - Europe stuns Sweden in OT and advances to final

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
I would rather see Sweden not get out of round Robin and show some passion, than reaching the semi-final and floating their way through 65 minutes of hockey.

The only game where Sweden actually played hard and forechecked, was against Russia.

Perhaps to some extent against NA after they let in 2 goals within 2 minutes, but that's it.

Borring-ass defensive bs style who does not in any way utilize our best players to use their strenghts.

Okay, Sweden lost 7 players to injuries, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse as the ones who played should've been SO much better.

I'm glad it happened in this phony tournament and not when it really matters though.
yeah. All true. Swedes got the best hockeyprogram in the world but sometimes they play to much w their heads.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
This tournament reminds me so much about sochi. There we also started good against czech, this time against russia. The whole team played great in that first game. After that it went downhill both times, and only a few player uphold the standards over the whole tournament, both times it was Karlsson and Bäckström.

Our first d-pair (then Kronwall and Ericsson, now Hedman and Stralman) in both cases they started the tournament good, then it went downhill, and they are in on pretty much all of the goal, while not contribute that much offensivly.

We have coaches that do nothing to change the negative trend.

A difference would be that in sochi the PP worked great (at least while Backstrom played) this time it didnt. For some weird reason they change the PP from sochi? The only thing that was really good in sochi, they changed? Makes absolutly zero sense.

Lundqvist was good overall, but in both cases he had his best games early in the tournament.

In both cases we left out our next best d-men, in sochi it was Hedman, this time Klingberg.

Both times OEL is a disapointment, even if I think he was ok this time, he do his job defensivly I guess, but I expect much much more off him offensivly.

Sweden team seems to top early with Grönborg in the staff lineup. The same thing we have seen in WJC over and over.

But congrats to europe, I will cheer for you in the final. It would be fun if you won.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
I'm glad we had this defensive lineup.
If Kronwall was healthy I think it would've been worse. He just isn't what he used to be.

Up front I don't know if a healthy Zetterberg would've made the team any better. He's just so slow.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Gronborg is awful. Not once did he juggle the lines vs Europe to shake things up. PP sucked but he didnt do a **** about it. Were stuck with him for the olympics too.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
This tournament reminds me so much about sochi. There we also started good against czech, this time against russia. The whole team played great in that first game. After that it went downhill both times, and only a few player uphold the standards over the whole tournament, both times it was Karlsson and Bäckström.

Our first d-pair (then Kronwall and Ericsson, now Hedman and Stralman) in both cases they started the tournament good, then it went downhill, and they are in on pretty much all of the goal, while not contribute that much offensivly.

We have coaches that do nothing to change the negative trend.

A difference would be that in sochi the PP worked great (at least while Backstrom played) this time it didnt. For some weird reason they change the PP from sochi? The only thing that was really good in sochi, they changed? Makes absolutly zero sense.

Lundqvist was good overall, but in both cases he had his best games early in the tournament.

In both cases we left out our next best d-men, in sochi it was Hedman, this time Klingberg.

Both times OEL is a disapointment, even if I think he was ok this time, he do his job defensivly I guess, but I expect much much more off him offensivly.

Sweden team seems to top early with Grönborg in the staff lineup. The same thing we have seen in WJC over and over.

But congrats to europe, I will cheer for you in the final. It would be fun if you won.

This tournament wasn't lost due to goaltending or defense but due to lack of offense.

- Our forwards are quite a far behind both Canada and Russia in terms of quality and the lines didn't work out very well
- Our offensive game is way too slow
- Our powerplay was really poor
- Our offensive defensemen were strangled and not allowed to play to their strengths

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
There would be riots in the streets if Canada lost on that goal in OT, that was very, very questionable - maybe not a direct kicking motion but definitely directed in by the skate on purpose, very unnatural stopping motion to stick the foot out the way he did

Unless there's a shot of him touching it with his stick before it crosses the line that I haven't seen

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
There would be riots in the streets if Canada lost on that goal in OT, that was very, very questionable - maybe not a direct kicking motion but definitely directed in by the skate on purpose, very unnatural stopping motion to stick the foot out the way he did

Unless there's a shot of him touching it with his stick before it crosses the line that I haven't seen

And the Canadians would protest and overturn the call and game would continue.
Because they have the power.

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
I'm fine with the goal. It's a 50/50 call. I'm not fine with the uncalled holding the stick moments before. How could the refs miss that?

Corax

May 1, 2007
refs have missed interference just before, penalty to sweden, did not call high stick on Sekara just after Karlsson threw puck out of zone, which is so obvious call. But it was on purpose, to keep Sweden in game last 10 min.
Swe was losing 2:1 when 2 obvious calls were missed. refs could have burried sweden few times if that was their goal.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
This tournament wasn't lost due to goaltending or defense but due to lack of offense.

- Our forwards are quite a far behind both Canada and Russia in terms of quality and the lines didn't work out very well
- Our offensive game is way too slow
- Our powerplay was really poor
- Our offensive defensemen were strangled and not allowed to play to their strengths

- i agree, we need to get some more elite forwards. Only Bäckström that is a true elite, he always shows up.

- You do not have to play a speedy game to succedd, just look at Bäckström. But sure some more speedy players could be needed

- As I mention, it was very weird that they changed the PP that work so good in sochi.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I can't imaging this goal happening without a serious protest from Sweden at the Olympics's semifinal OT.

This is all one needs to know about the tournament.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm glad we had this defensive lineup.
If Kronwall was healthy I think it would've been worse. He just isn't what he used to be.

Up front I don't know if a healthy Zetterberg would've made the team any better. He's just so slow.
Z isn't much slower than the Sedins or even half the other forwards on the swedish team. He's a better leader than all of them though and knows how to bring it in important situations. He would have helped.

So would Nyquist. This team needed one forward with a combination of speed and goalscoring ability. Sweden isn't Canada who can leave out talented players because they're not big and strong defensively.

Just a poorly assembled team that got even worse by Z/Steen missing.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
One thing that bothers me to no end is to the extent the leaders on this team defend the game plan. It has happened before in comments by both Zetterberg and Sedin previously and now it was Sedin again. I am para-phrasing here but it normally goes like this: "It's not league games, this is the national team, and we need to play this way to be successful".

I for one did not even think the first period yesterday was that bad, they got a bit unlucky and Halak did a great period. The problem comes when they take the lead. That is when the game slows down, and I don't know how many times it has to come back and bite them in the *** before they see that they should be doing the exact opposite. Get a goal, turn up the pace and get another one. I have no problem with a team slowing down, but it needs to happen after you have at least 2-3 goal lead.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
refs have missed interference just before, penalty to sweden, did not call high stick on Sekara just after Karlsson threw puck out of zone, which is so obvious call. But it was on purpose, to keep Sweden in game last 10 min.
Swe was losing 2:1 when 2 obvious calls were missed. refs could have burried sweden few times if that was their goal.

Sweden lost against this team 2 times, we where not better. We could probably have played little better with a better coach. Americans complain about torts, but he has won sc at least, Grönborg did his debut as senior coach in this tournament after have been horrible as U20 coach. It is safe to say sweden had the worse coach in this tournament by a mile. Americans will at least get rid of Torts now, sweden will keep Grönborg for like 10 years, since it is tradition to keep the coaches for a long time no matter what the results is.

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm

Not that I care a lot about this tournament... But there were a few uncalled penalties, yes. As always. For instance when a Team Europe player on purpose stepped on a Swedish stick and broke it. A clear penalty. It happens. Sucks that the game deciding goal came after an obvious penalty. :(

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada
Not that I care a lot about this tournament... But there were a few uncalled penalties, yes. As always. For instance when a Team Europe player on purpose stepped on a Swedish stick and broke it. A clear penalty. It happens. Sucks that the game deciding goal came after an obvious penalty. :(

Sounds like you care about this tournament. :sarcasm:

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Unexpected result.
But it's hockey, everything can happens in just one game. Europe team is not a bunch of some amateurs, we all know they have great players.
Sweden has great team, impressive youth program - they will have better achievements, I'm sure.
It looks like an accident, not a tendency.
And I don't understand Russian fans that says "shame" or smth like that. C'mon guys, let's focus on our problems, which are much bigger.

Keram

Jan 16, 2016
Europe vs. Canada is the ultimate underdog story. I'm sure the media powers that be would rather have the USA or Team North America here, but if they can't market this, they really suck at their job.

It's a really fantastic story as this is pretty much Kopitar, and Vanek and Hossa and all these talents only chance at something like this.

Please don´t give these players to the same group. Hossa was member of slovak called "golden" generation and he was member of plenty strong Slovak teams. For exaple Torino one or WCH 2004,2005. That teams were light years ahead of any Slovenian or Austrian team.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
And the Canadians would protest and overturn the call and game would continue.
Because they have the power.

lol, yeah sure.

Some of you guys have let the decades of Canada always topping you rot your brains, grow up.

Anyway, we hardly require doing something like that anyway don't we?

We just beat the pants off teams where we are never in that position anyway.

See you next best on best, maybe you can fix your problems and get it together by then.

Corax

May 1, 2007
Nah, back watching highlights from 2010 now. :nod:

part of this is what also CBC evaluated after the game. it was a bouncing puck and he would not be able in that speed to deliberately turn his skate.(Tatar)
It bounced back from pads to his,skate in split second. what you show is suprisingly not a goal, as they also explain. 4 of 5 times this should be fine, but they have seen this as deliberate as this was a pass from behind a net which was deliberately kicked in, without kicking motion.
again, this was discussed as it was very unussual not to have this counted.

Corax

May 1, 2007
yes a lot of uncalled is normal. what is not normal is when a losing team does not get called for throwing a puck a then offender scores a goal.

not all battles are called, but this was an obvious call and would most likely mean that equalizing the game would be very tough, even if Team Eorope would not score on PP. It is a call where ref decides to give a chance to the team trailing.

just proves how much this is an exhibition tournament.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Please don´t give these players to the same group. Hossa was member of slovak called "golden" generation and he was member of plenty strong Slovak teams. For exaple Torino one or WCH 2004,2005. That teams were light years ahead of any Slovenian or Austrian team.

I always wondered how good a Czechoslovakia team would have been the last 20 years or so had they not split up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad