PGT: 9/21 North America vs Sweden - North America wins 4-3 in OT but Sweden advances

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Funny seeing canadians blaming canadian refs of being biased to sweden. You guys take the prize

The PPs were 5 for Sweden and 4 for NAT with a PS going to NAT as well, so I don't think it was anything blatant. But haha the tinfoil hat of me thought of NAT winning the whole thing not being ideal when I saw the McDavid call at the end. OTOH, to be fair, he did use both arms and he did win the puck because of it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Funny seeing canadians blaming canadian refs of being biased to sweden. You guys take the prize

They were pretty brutal. The calls on Sweden were all legitimate penalties but at least two of the penalties on Team NA were complete nonsense.

1 - The interference penalty on Ghost for checking Hornqvist 1 nanosecond after he played the puck.

2 - The holding penalty on McDavid for beating Stralman to a loose puck then getting slammed down to the ice.

Not to mention several non-calls on Sweden on obvious infractions, such as Mattias Eckholm sticking his leg out to trip Gaudreau.

Dris

Feb 22, 2014
Helsinki
Personally I was pretty skeptical about Team NA before the tournament and believed that their match against Finland could be attributed more to a shocker from Finland and their young defense.

However, after the last couple of games I will be delighted if they make the semifinals. Beating a tremendous and experienced squad at full steem like Sweden is quite an achievement. If they pass, they fully deserve it.

What will happen? I don't think Finland will give an inch to Russia. There is a strong rivalry and our players really will want to give a satisfaction to supporters and continue building some foundations for the future.

However, I believe that this russian team is a better than our current team, actually have performed according to their potential (specially in the second period against NA), and is crunch time for them, so Russia will win.

I just hope we don't play trap, and try to play like for instance in the last period against the swedes

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016
They were pretty brutal. The calls on Sweden were all legitimate penalties but at least two of the penalties on Team NA were complete nonsense.

1 - The interference penalty on Ghost for checking Hornqvist 1 nanosecond after he played the puck.

2 - The holding penalty on McDavid for beating Stralman to a loose puck then getting slammed down to the ice.

Not to mention several non-calls on Sweden on obvious infractions, such as Mattias Eckholm sticking his leg out to trip Gaudreau.

After years of complaining at euro IIHF refs you now also complain at NHL refs?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Finland will probably play hard against Russia even when the game doesn't mean much to them but who knows for sure, maybe they are down in the dumps mentally after the last 2 losses?

Think Russia will win it and move on.

Dris

Feb 22, 2014
Helsinki
Finland will probably play hard against Russia even when the game doesn't mean much to them but who knows for sure, maybe they are down in the dumps mentally after the last 2 losses?

I think it means a little bit more than something to them, is Russia man!

Agreed, Russia will win...

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Sooo that final (=last) game in Calgary 1988... do we like totally owe the Silver to the Red Machine who handed it to us, or were we just that good?

A friend needs to know before tonight's game.

Revisionist bull...

Krutov hit the posts like 3 times, hero was Jukka Tammi in goal. We held on for dear life, klap-klap-klap hockey meant 5vs5 was like a powerplay to USSR. First time we ever beat the Soviet Union in an official tournament.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Laine is going to get 2 goals we can call him the "White Death" from now on.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Laine is going to get 2 goals we can call him the "White Death" from now on.

LOL.

interested to see what Finland has to give this game, I know they had higher hopes but it just was not their time. The coming years are going to be good for them though.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Karlsson was away in la la land on the OT winner and the Sedins couldn't score if their lives depended on it.

Golly, sure great to see this sort of dispassionate expert analysis - clearly with no axe to grind (lol) - by such a seasoned poster on here!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The refs favoured the Swedes today. Grasping for something that isn't there.

Overall the reffing has been solid, far better than IIHF reffing.

That is always the justification for assigning Canadian refs to work games that Canadian teams are playing in - that Canadians are allegedly "better" than IIHF refs. Who is appointed to judge which refs are better than others? The NHL? Its just a tribal way of saying that we are better than you.

Even when they are trying to be fair, refs are human, and the crowds make some calls. The most significant affect is when refs swallow their whistles to avoid calling a seemingly obvious infraction because they don't want to antagonize the crowd. It works in Canada's favor, and that will become more evident when we get into the playoff round.

However, I did notice that Team NA clearly had better players, better talent than Sweden, and played with more passion. They clearly deserved to win, in my opinion. That is why these hybrid teams have been so successful. They can cherry pick talent that the national teams don't have access to.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yea he recieves a lot of hate just for the fact that he is Karlsson. He was the one that carried our offense in to NAs zone most of the time, one of the only players keeping up the speed with NA and placed that beautiful shot on Berglunds stick.

You ever wonder why this is?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Personally I was pretty skeptical about Team NA before the tournament and believed that their match against Finland could be attributed more to a shocker from Finland and their young defense.

However, after the last couple of games I will be delighted if they make the semifinals. Beating a tremendous and experienced squad at full steem like Sweden is quite an achievement. If they pass, they fully deserve it.

What will happen? I don't think Finland will give an inch to Russia. There is a strong rivalry and our players really will want to give a satisfaction to supporters and continue building some foundations for the future.

However, I believe that this russian team is a better than our current team, actually have performed according to their potential (specially in the second period against NA), and is crunch time for them, so Russia will win.

I just hope we don't play trap, and try to play like for instance in the last period against the swedes

If Finland scores the first goal, they're definitely playing trap. Finland is very successful playing the trap. When I look back, almost every time Finland has had a huge upset it was due to scoring the first goal and trapping for the win. The problem is they've never had the first goal (or were leading) at any point in this tournament (prelims excluded).

I hope Finland splits up Barkov/Laine/Aho. Laine/Aho are not playing up to their potential, and Barkov is their best forward. I see Barkov's potential being wasted playing with 2 kids who aren't playing to their capabilities.

Dris

Feb 22, 2014
Helsinki
If Finland scores the first goal, they're definitely playing trap. Finland is very successful playing the trap. When I look back, almost every time Finland has had a huge upset it was due to scoring the first goal and trapping for the win. The problem is they've never had the first goal (or were leading) at any point in this tournament (prelims excluded).

I hope Finland splits up Barkov/Laine/Aho. Laine/Aho are not playing up to their potential, and Barkov is their best forward. I see Barkov's potential being wasted playing with 2 kids who aren't playing to their capabilities.

I agree. But I hope they don't play very conservative. From a finnish point of view, it was great to watch the game against sweden, because they were forced to play something different, and they actually dominated the game. There was some momentum going

But, yeah...even the team NA (faster team in the tournament) could't match Russia, so Märjamaki won't change much...I think he is kind of pressured to prove that he is the right man for the job. Finnish team always overachieve, not underachieve....if we lost tonight it will look like the second and fingers will start pointing in one direction.

I think Laine had a great game the other day against sweden...but both of them still need to develop as players, hence people cannot expect from them the same level of performance and results that you would get from Selanne and Koivu at their prime.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
How embarrssing for NAT thinking they advanced. LOL. Huge mistake by the coaches.
King Henrik is the greatest. What a game! Sweden are the coolest team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad