PGT: 9/21 North America vs Sweden - North America wins 4-3 in OT but Sweden advances

GirouxDaMan

Oct 19, 2014
Sudbury, Ontario
How embarrssing for NAT thinking they advanced. LOL. Huge mistake by the coaches.
King Henrik is the greatest. What a game! Sweden are the coolest team.

It is very shocking. It's also hard to believe that none of the players knew as well. Usually the implications of a win, loss or tie are discussed. You always know what needs to get done to advance in the tournament. Im not saying that pulling the goalie would have been the right call but would have been nice to see a little extra hustle in the 3rd.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Exactly, no nation plays more or better hockey than Canada.
Lmao

You ice the amount of teams based on your number of registered hockey players and Sweden will win everytime (no, not even Slovenia with one Anze Kopitar would get there). By far the most NHL players per registered hockey player, despite lower skill level Canadians being favoured over equally (not) skilled Europeans.

You're probably one of those "this is OUR game" idiots, who loves it when your team barely beats other nations, and shows your appreciation by doing your best to alienate anyone else from watching, your goal being to make the NHL a 10 team league with only Canadian players and teams. Hell. Maybe then Toronto could win a cup again... Or at least land a big FA signing.

The PPs were 5 for Sweden and 4 for NAT with a PS going to NAT as well, so I don't think it was anything blatant. But haha the tinfoil hat of me thought of NAT winning the whole thing not being ideal when I saw the McDavid call at the end. OTOH, to be fair, he did use both arms and he did win the puck because of it.

Don't forget Canada scored on a delayed penalty (once again probably equal to McDavid's penalty on Strålman).

They were pretty brutal. The calls on Sweden were all legitimate penalties but at least two of the penalties on Team NA were complete nonsense.

Yeah, like Carl Söderberg barely nudging Gaudreau in a natural stick positioning movement, for Gaudreau to fly into his own goalie. Penalty everytime. :laugh:
Refs were equally **** both ways.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
It is very shocking. It's also hard to believe that none of the players knew as well. Usually the implications of a win, loss or tie are discussed. You always know what needs to get done to advance in the tournament. Im not saying that pulling the goalie would have been the right call but would have been nice to see a little extra hustle in the 3rd.

Well maybe if they knew they needed to win in regulation they would have played that third with more urgency...As for the rest? Yes , in that situation, pulling goalie in a tie game would have been the right call...

Worse case scenario, NAT's lose on EN goal to Swedes...But then if Finns had beat Rus in regulation = 3way tie for second, meaning NAT's get in on goal differential

Best case scenario, NAT's score with their net empty and punch their ticket to semis...

I'm not buying the COVER story that McLellan et al decided not to tell the Boyz they needed to win in regulation...Cause if the coaching staff knew how things worked, they woulda pulled Gibson as per above...

management/coaching staff on that team was clueless, even though many fans (myself included) had figured it out a day earlier...

STUPID/INCOMPETENT PEOPLE AT THE HELM ENDOFSTORY

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
tumblr_mjud20KIDS1s8uzeno6_r1_250.gif

That GIF is up there with Dean Supernatural ones, Baldwin drinking and Antonio closing the laptop. Well played ::)

Last edited:

GirouxDaMan

Oct 19, 2014
Sudbury, Ontario
Well maybe if they knew they needed to win in regulation they would have played that third with more urgency...As for the rest? Yes , in that situation, pulling goalie in a tie game would have been the right call...

Worse case scenario, NAT's lose on EN goal to Swedes...But then if Finns had beat Rus in regulation = 3way tie for second, meaning NAT's get in on goal differential

Best case scenario, NAT's score with their net empty and punch their ticket to semis...

I'm not buying the COVER story that McLellan et al decided not to tell the Boyz they needed to win in regulation...Cause if the coaching staff knew how things worked, they woulda pulled Gibson as per above...

management/coaching staff on that team was clueless, even though many fans (myself included) had figured it out a day earlier...

STUPID/INCOMPETENT PEOPLE AT THE HELM ENDOFSTORY

Out of curiosity. Why aren't you calling the players stupid and incompetent as well? I knew, you knew, many fans knew. The stupid/incompetent players should have known too.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Out of curiosity. Why aren't you calling the players stupid and incompetent as well? I knew, you knew, many fans knew. The stupid/incompetent players should have known too.

Their job is to play...it's the job of the brain-trust to KNOW and then to communicate their ostensibly vast wealth of experience/knowledge to their young charges so that , ideally, everybody's prepared + on the same page prior to puck drop...

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Cool you're in the Semis! Big day in Sweden. Maybe someday you'll win a tournament. Then buckle up party time.

Sorry for being a country with roughly 30 million less inhabitants than Canada, not to mention that we don't even consider hockey our number 1 sport. I'm sure that doesn't affect the fact that you guys produce more quality hockey players than we do, that's completely irrelevant, right?

Personally i didn't celebrate the semi-final place, in fact i was pissed off that Sweden lost after that performance from Lundqvist. He deserved better. But it seems that you guys over there often forget how small of a country Sweden really is.

The fact that we're up there competing with countries like Canada, USA and Russia, countries that are WAY bigger than us, every single year just proves how great of a hockey country Sweden really is, without trying to sound like a jerk. Heading into the tournament, we were missing both Zetterberg and Steen, 2 players that could've potentially stepped right into our top6. Yet we were still able to win our group, like it or not.

Winning is all that matters, i'm never satisfied finishing 2nd unless that was completely uncalled for. But people like you should remind yourself sometimes that Sweden is actually a pretty small country. EXPECTING tournament wins in our shoes isn't always realistic, though a possibility sometimes.

You're probably just salty cuz your Toronto boys are out. You have no players left in the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad