PGT: 9/21 - Canada vs Europe - Canada wins Group A with a 4-1 win over Europe.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It was a fun game for the first half. I thought Europe played very smart, disciplined hockey with real flair -- that's some achievement for a Frankenteam spanning several hockey cultures and languages and with several selections determined by geopolitics rather than on the basis of pure skill. They did themselves proud.

Canada looked very, very good at times and pedestrian at others. I think they're built to go the distance but I'd not say this is as impressive as the Sochi team. Several of the players, including Stamkos, have looked pretty ordinary, but this is a pretty ruthless, well-coached group.

In terms of pure entertainment, I think an NA/EU final would have been fun. The two gimmick teams are also the best-matched in terms of style and creativity, IMHO.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I see this thread has ended just as you would expect and happens every time in tournaments involving national teams around here.

Would for just once like to see it not happen but the usual suspects on all sides ensure that will never happen.

Canada was o.k this game, not great but pretty good, should be a good semi. Don't know who i would prefer in terms of who would be tougher but I would prefer to beat Russia, as usual.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Canada is so good at hockey, that even if all countries in Australia, Africa, South n Central America AND Asia combined thier forces, Canada would still win! Think about that!

And don't forget all the countries in Antarctica, where the kids get to skate in their backyard year-round.

Canada - **** yeah! eh?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Sadly, it doesn't snow in much of the populated world and hockey isn't cheap. :(

Unfortunately I have a hard time getting excited for wins like this. I mean really, I bet my life that the world overall cares more about who's best at checkers, darts, or water polo than who's best at ice hockey.. It's in that league of unpopularity.

I'll get excited when Canada does something in basketball or soccer. Now that would be something to be really proud of.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Unfortunately I have a hard time getting excited for wins like this. I mean really, I bet my life that the world overall cares more about who's best at checkers, darts, or water polo than who's best at ice hockey.. It's in that league of unpopularity.

I'll get excited when Canada does something in basketball or soccer. Now that would be something to be really proud of.

Then why become a member of a hockey forum at all if that is your view?

Unpopular? Or just unknown?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad