GDT: 9/21/13 | Preseason | Jets @ Wild | 7PM CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I was at the game last night and here are my observations:

Coyle-perhaps the best player for the Wild..he looked so comfortable and especially impressed me in the face off circle. He was noticeably good there all night and that was cemented when I saw he was 12/15. Not that their was much doubt in anyone's mind he made the team,it's time to be hopeful this kid is a 20 goal guy this season for us. I think 20-25 from Coyle would be about right.

Fontaine-this guy is an NHL player. He belongs..he can do it all. He got robbed by the post and made a nifty play on the Coyle goal(I believe). He isn't flashy but he gets it done. He reminds me of Pominville in his ability to read the game.

Pominville-speaking of Pominville..I've been saying all along people don't understand how good this guy is. He does it all. To me he has the best hockey sense of any of our forwards..he can flat out play. He is just as high calibre of a player as Parise IMO.

Scandella/Spurgeon-these two were very rusty with retrievals and the puck in general. Scandella made some very boneheaded plays then he makes some plays defensively and a few rushes that make you want more. The potential is there he just needs confidence.

Ballard-I made it a point to watch him. I left very impressed and feel we have the Ballard from Florida. His first period was not perfect by any means as he made some errors especially early but that happens to every player. I was not at all surprised to see he had 2 pts and was a +2 at the end of the night. He fits right into our system at least from my perspective and understanding of what we want d to do. He makes retrievals look easy and I would only expect improvement if we play him with anyone but stoner. He gets up into the rush creating that 4 man rush quite effectively. Definitely has the smarts and wheels to be a very effective player in this system.

Heatley-guy just leaves you wanting more. He looks much slimmer but still very slow. Was pretty awful for most of the game until he got a few chances in the third and got the puck on his stick more..still a useful lplayer on the PP and blue line in though..

Niño- the raw skill and physical tools are evident. He looks like a threat every time he gets the puck in the o zone. Threw a few nice hits on the forecheck but wasn't his best game by any means. I want to see more..

Macmillan-here's a game flying under the radar for most of us..but a guy that I think is very much in the discussion for a 4th line role. He was flawless in that role defensively and with the puck. Also good along the wall. The goal was gravy on top of a solid game.

Granlund-this guy belongs in the NHL and he belongs there now. He just seems on the verge of breaking out. He made a number of nice subtle passes and can be a threat on the half wall on the pp or down low. He is faster than last season and just seems more mature in his game. He got pushed around a bit but nothing different than a smallish forward like him/Parise/Pominville would endure with NHL defenders. I think he's a lock for the team.

Haula-I liked his game much more in Winnipeg. He can sure fly though.

Wish I could've seen Dumba with our "a team" last night..still think he's on this team though. Stoner might be destined for the press box.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Haula-I liked his game much more in Winnipeg. He can sure fly though.
Absolutely. Dude was fast. With Haula, Zucker, Nino, Coyle, and Granlund....we may start to have some speed on this team in a couple years. We've been slow for what feels like a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad