PGT: 9/19 - Russia vs North America - Russia 4 North America 3 F

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In a short tournament Russia is always dangerous. Too much talent. If they get a hot Goalie, I can certainly see them going deep into the tournament.

Not surprised they pulled out a win last night. The signs were there they were starting to come on.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
And he's been the best forward for North America since the actual games that mattered started

That is highly debatable. 5 other forwards would be in the discussion (Matthews, Scheifele, McKinnon, RNH and Gaudreau ).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Couple changes I'd make:

Remove Ghost from first PP. I think Rielly deserves to be on that PP after this game. Gaudreau needs more ice time. I'd put MacKinnon with McDavid and either remove Matthews or Scheifele from that line and play one of those guys as a centre. MacKinnon is so damn good.

Also, why the **** was the timeout not called during the 5 on 3? That was such a horrible PP. They kept shooting up high. It's a 5 on 3...use the space to score a goal in tight.

Um, why would you split up McDavid/Matthews and MacKinnon/RNH, the two best combos in this tournament thus far? There's no way that Ghost should come off the 1st unit.

Gaudreau didn't even have that good of a game until the PP where RNH scored so I don't understand all the bellyaching over him not getting prime icetime although he probably should have seen some icetime on the 5 on 3. Mclellan did bump him up to the Mackinnon-RNH line anyway which got tons of icetime late in the game just in case nobody noticed.

Eichel getting promoted is something to get heated over. I don't know what he did to deserve a promotion to the top line and top PP unit and I don't know why Drouin got benched.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If not for that brief meltdown by Murray following his injury, Team NA would have run away with this one. Russia got lucky.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Auston Matthews was North America's best forward. His advanced numbers tonight were absurd. What a talent. Connor McDavid was great too. It's so much fun watching them play. This game was one of the best hockey games I've seen in a while. So fun

I disagree a lot. Mcdavid created so much more and was by far the most dangerous player on the ice. Mathew was played good and so did a few North America players. Mathews also missed any easy tip in goal that Mcdavid created all by himself. And Mcdavid missed a breakaway where he blew in free with his speed created the only breakaway of the game. I think every member on the team does contribute in their own way but anyone with eyes can see that Mcdavid is the most dangerous player whenever on the ice. i even forgot to mention that beauty he set up for an easy mathews tip in.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Why?

He's a big kid, with good eye-hand coordination. He's probably one of the better options for that role on the team.

Because he has one of the best shots on the team, sees the ice better than most on the team, and may have the best hands on the team. He's wasted standing in front of the net when he could be helping McDavid setup a play or taking feeds from McDavid.

I definitely think having him just stand in front of the net is a waste.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You people are funny. "Get Gaudreau out there!" "No, Nuge!". "No, McKinnon!" "No, Drouin!"

There are only 60 minutes in a game, you know.

Consensus is that Gaudreau is not getting enough ice time, especially on the PP.

Not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Gaudreau did get shafted. Most productive forward since this team was put together and easily your best PP player and you leave him off the 1st unit and rarely play him in favor of hype? Ridiculous. When you have a team like this and you're down, you roll your lines, you don't leave 1st line, game breaking talent on the bench.

If McDavid and Matthews were having that great of a game they would've had more than a single point with their nearly half an hour of ice time.

McLennan is a tool.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Consensus is that Gaudreau is not getting enough ice time, especially on the PP.

He got promoted to the RNH line which got plenty of icetime in the 3rd, not as much as the McDavid line but it's not like he got shafted. He didn't even have a good game until that point. Probably should have been out on the 5 on 3 though.
Such a weird thing to complain about anyway since NA dominated the 3rd.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
He got promoted to the RNH line which got plenty of icetime in the 3rd, not as much as the McDavid line but it's not like he got shafted. He didn't even have a good game until that point. Probably should have been out on the 5 on 3 though.
Such a weird thing to complain about anyway since NA dominated the 3rd.

I think that is the biggest complaint. The whole Gaudreau-Eichel-Larkin line just wasn't clicking, glad he got put on Nuge and MacKinnon's. Mac is such a beast.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think that is the biggest complaint. The whole Gaudreau-Eichel-Larkin line just wasn't clicking, glad he got put on Nuge and MacKinnon's. Mac is such a beast.

That was a good move. Larkin really got shafted with ice time.

Gaudreau should have been on the ice immediately for the 5 on 3. He is a difference maker.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Don't think they should change anything up other than the PP. Their strongest assets there are Gaudreau's playmaking and Ghost as a shooter. They need to utilize that more. McDavid has not impressed running the first unit, he tries to force the play down low too much.

This is EXACTLY the issue.

People saying remove Ghost...no....you are wrong. But adding Gaudreau as the QB on the wall and Ghost as the point shooter would do wonders.

We saw how well Gaudreau opened up the ice by using Rielly as an option. Having a Ghost shoot there would definately help.

As you said, the 1st unit tries to force plays down low and into the slot....looking for the pretty plays. The defending team just clogs the space creating a turnover.

Eichel being on the left wall is a bad coaching decision. He doesn't react quick enough yet. JG does.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The entire Gaudreau-RNH-MacKinnon line should have been on for that. They were buzzing from the moment they scored NA's 2nd goal.

Todd McLellan has the McDavid blinders on.... He left those guys on way too long... It was a mistake in more ways than one.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Can someone provide a link to the advanced stats? Not seeing them on the WCH site :help:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is EXACTLY the issue.

People saying remove Ghost...no....you are wrong. But adding Gaudreau as the QB on the wall and Ghost as the point shooter would do wonders.

We saw how well Gaudreau opened up the ice by using Rielly as an option. Having a Ghost shoot there would definately help.

As you said, the 1st unit tries to force plays down low and into the slot....looking for the pretty plays. The defending team just clogs the space creating a turnover.

Eichel being on the left wall is a bad coaching decision. He doesn't react quick enough yet. JG does.

Agreed. Eichel is more of a bull. He is not a QB at this level. IMO there are quite a few players that make better decisions, faster and move the better than Eichel.

(Gaudreau, McDavid, Matthews, RNH, Drouin, Mack) are all better at that aspect.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

He got more then enough ice time last game. If anything, he should have had less. MacKinnon/McDavid/Matthews/Nuge were outstanding. Gaudreau has been the best forward this tourney, but last game he was just off. Turnovers, holding onto the puck for too long, etc. You get Drouin/Larkin getting benched for that stuff, but all players should be held to that standard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad