PGT: 9/19 - Russia vs North America - Russia 4 North America 3 F

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
top 5 player in the world based on what? 40 games of a regular season?

he had 0 points in the 3 pre season games.

And he's been the best forward for North America since the actual games that mattered started

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He turns the puck over a lot trying to do everything on his own. He really didn't create many chances when he was out there. He rode shotgun to RNH and Mack buzzing together.

He needs to use his line mates more.

RNH and Mack move the puck well to each other and cycle pretty hard. They create a lot of chances like that. Maybe Gaudreau should take a hint and join in on his line mates plays. He's shown he has the IQ 5o do that but maybe he wants to be the "Go to" guy but doesn't realize he's not good enough to go coast to coast all the time

I didn't think Gaudreau looked good on that line, Nuge and Mak were kinda just doing their thing. One thing that annoyed me was that Gaudreau would stop skating with the puck once he had it, with Dru-Nuge-Mak they constantly keep skating.

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
I didn't think Gaudreau looked good on that line, Nuge and Mak were kinda just doing their thing. One thing that annoyed me was that Gaudreau would stop skating with the puck once he had it, with Dru-Nuge-Mak they constantly keep skating.

Gaudreau just doesn't have the speed to blow by guys like a McDavid or MacKinnon. He's much more effective at medium speeds where he can make quick cuts into open space. Outside of a few turnovers and one missed pass I though he had a pretty effective game once he was put on that line.

1) Made a nice play to steal the clearing attempt along the boards and fire a cross-seam pass to Nugent-Hopkins, which led to Rielly's goal.
2) Quarterbacked the most dangerous-looking powerplay shift for a good 20 seconds before Rielly injured the Russian PKer eventually leading to Nugent-Hopkins' goal.
3) Read the play well to pick up a loose puck and set up Gostisbehere's late post on the 6 on 4.

Plus his possession stats all floated around 70%, so it's not like he was being hemmed in on D or anything. Honestly, if that Gostisbehere shot goes in, we're talking about what a great comeback it was with Gaudreau leading the charge. Game of inches.

Also count me among those who don't understand the deployment decisions. To me it seems McDavid is a stronger 5v5 player than 5v4 where it's more static and his best asset (speed) is underutilized. Why not change to the Gaudreau line earlier in the powerplay and then give McDavid's line more 5v5 time right after? McDavid's assist came from a transition play in the first period, but yet he started in the offensive zone 92% of the time. Seems odd to me that you'd ride a player hard for 20 minutes in a game, but yet still feel the need to shelter them so heavily.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Kuzy has great skill but even he can't do a lot of the things McDavid can. Look at that gif, he just goes through 4 Russian defenders like he's on a morning skate and then perfectly gift wraps what should be a goal right to his teammate. Can't believe Schief didn't bury that.

Oilers guys will miss a lot of "easy ones" too via Connor. People won't admit to it now, but it will happen. Kurri and Lucky Luc these Oil guys are not. Gretz was frustrated with Rangers linemmates too if you want to use that example. Old Lucic plus Pouliot types ouch:help:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers guys will miss a lot of "easy ones" too via Connor. People won't admit to it now, but it will happen. Kurri and Lucky Luc these Oil guys are not. Gretz was frustrated with Rangers linemmates too if you want to use that example. Old Lucic plus Pouliot types ouch:help:

I probably could've buried that, lol. Just bad luck, that was a sure goal.

Pouliot actually plays and reads off Connor McDavid really, really well, much better than Taylor Hall or even Jordan Eberle.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gaudreau just doesn't have the speed to blow by guys like a McDavid or MacKinnon. He's much more effective at medium speeds where he can make quick cuts into open space. Outside of a few turnovers and one missed pass I though he had a pretty effective game once he was put on that line.

1) Made a nice play to steal the clearing attempt along the boards and fire a cross-seam pass to Nugent-Hopkins, which led to Rielly's goal.
2) Quarterbacked the most dangerous-looking powerplay shift for a good 20 seconds before Rielly injured the Russian PKer eventually leading to Nugent-Hopkins' goal.
3) Read the play well to pick up a loose puck and set up Gostisbehere's late post on the 6 on 4.

Plus his possession stats all floated around 70%, so it's not like he was being hemmed in on D or anything. Honestly, if that Gostisbehere shot goes in, we're talking about what a great comeback it was with Gaudreau leading the charge. Game of inches.

Also count me among those who don't understand the deployment decisions. To me it seems McDavid is a stronger 5v5 player than 5v4 where it's more static and his best asset (speed) is underutilized. Why not change to the Gaudreau line earlier in the powerplay and then give McDavid's line more 5v5 time right after? McDavid's assist came from a transition play in the first period, but yet he started in the offensive zone 92% of the time. Seems odd to me that you'd ride a player hard for 20 minutes in a game, but yet still feel the need to shelter them so heavily.

Just move Gaudreau to the first PP unit and Eichel to the second. Easy, simple.

Even on the PP, McDavid forces the D to have to pay attention to him and back off at times and he's the best Canadian at being able to make zone entries carrying the puck on a PP.

It probably will help Eichel too, he's trying to do too much when he's paired with any one of McDavid-Gaudreau-Matthews, let him QB the second unit.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I probably could've buried that, lol. Just bad luck, that was a sure goal.

Pouliot actually plays and reads off Connor McDavid really, really well, much better than Taylor Hall or even Jordan Eberle.

Not arguing that but Eberle could be such a star with Connor if he was not so stubborn to learn and change his ways but sadly he won't ever change his style. Hall was carrier of puck like Connor, very aware of his game, but I question his iq too but he's gone now.

Pouliot gets overhyped due to playing in hockey market. Oil fans will fizzle on him in year or so and talk up the next one. Don't buy his play and turnover rates.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Gaudreau can carry his own line, that's a given, just didn't think he meshed well with the speedsters. I think his tendency to slow down puck movement caught them off guard a couple times.

Clearly Eichel isn't working with anyone, I'd like to see something like Schiefele back at center with Gaudreau or Couturier.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gaudreau can carry his own line, that's a given, just didn't think he meshed well with the speedsters. I think his tendency to slow down puck movement caught them off guard a couple times.

Clearly Eichel isn't working with anyone, I'd like to see something like Schiefele back at center with Gaudreau or Couturier.

I think maybe you give Eichel one more shot with McDavid for a couple of shifts, but if it's still not working, then the kid is just overthinking things way too much. Move him down the lineup and let him be the go to guy with Larkin and Drouin or something.

RNH and MacKinnon have both played well all tournament long, putting Gaudreau there is likely an easy fit. Good mix of the bulldozer (MacK), smart/smooth center (RNH), and razzle dazzle winger (Gaudreau).

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I just checked Malkin's senior international statistics - 74 points in 62 games.

Which is weird because at two Olympics and now this WC I've seen him suck.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Don't think they should change anything up other than the PP. Their strongest assets there are Gaudreau's playmaking and Ghost as a shooter. They need to utilize that more. McDavid has not impressed running the first unit, he tries to force the play down low too much.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I just checked Malkin's senior international statistics - 74 points in 62 games.

He has been producing against AHL level players at the world championship.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't think they should change anything up other than the PP. Their strongest assets there are Gaudreau's playmaking and Ghost as a shooter. They need to utilize that more. McDavid has not impressed running the first unit, he tries to force the play down low too much.

He's been feeding the point, Ghost in particular, the point guys keep missing the net. McDavid rarely forces a play down low if there's nothing there, that would be Eichel unfortunately.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not arguing that but Eberle could be such a star with Connor if he was not so stubborn to learn and change his ways but sadly he won't ever change his style. Hall was carrier of puck like Connor, very aware of his game, but I question his iq too but he's gone now.

Pouliot gets overhyped due to playing in hockey market. Oil fans will fizzle on him in year or so and talk up the next one. Don't buy his play and turnover rates.

Supposedly Eberle has spent a good part of the off season working on one timers. It seems he may be more willing to change than you and many of us may have thought. We will of course see if this actually happens once the season starts but at least there is a recognition that when you play with McDavid you have to react faster than you might otherwise.

To be honest I think Pouliot has mostly deserved the praise he has gotten so far with the Oilers. He's a very skilled guy who had under performed most of his career. When he has been healthy he has been a very good complement to the Oilers better skilled players and has actually showed good chemistry with quite a few guys. His problem though is that he has not been healthy nearly enough. He has scored 34 goals and has 70 points in 113 games which is nothing to sneeze at from a prorated point of view. Its just that "prorated" points don't actually count if you are not on the ice.

It's actually quite remarkable how quickly some of these combinations on the NA team have taken to one another. For me Matthews is an ideal type of player to match with McDavid. Lots of skill but he also goes hard to the net. McDavid generates a lot of chances in close.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's been feeding the point, Ghost in particular, the point guys keep missing the net. McDavid rarely forces a play down low if there's nothing there, that would be Eichel unfortunately.

Misunderstanding. I didn't say he forced a play down lay but that he forces the play down low. He keeps going low and trying to work something out in tight, and since there's little puck movement and threats from other areas, he's just waiting for an opening that'll never come.

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016

He plays every worlds for russia. And that has weak opponents.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Dont really know what Larkin did to get benched. That being said, North America definitely played better in the third with the shorter bench.

On defence, Seth Jones has looked really mediocre to me. He has really good defensive cover in Ryan Murray, but hasnt been jumping up the play, nor has he been great in his own end. Hate it when guys swing their sticks wildly at bouncing pucks and that cost him.

Ghost impressed me today. I still think he has some defensive limitations, but unlike Jones, he really played to his strengths. I do think he should not be playing the type of tough minutes he played today.

Parayko had a decent game again.... but damn the guys got to learn how to hit the net. Had so many shots miss the net

Ryan Murray just needs to play more. Plays a solid game.

Up front, need more from Eichel. He is doing a good job of getting the puck, but has done little with it.

Mackinnon again with a bit of a mindless game, but his energy has been an asset.

Really love what I am seeing from Ryan Nugent Hopkins. Makes it look silly at how many guys didnt have him on the team.

Couturier and Trochek have earned every minute of ice they have gotten. Great on the PK, and rarely a shift where they get pinned down low.

Overall not a bad game but the D will have to tighten up. The centers need to be a bit more defensively cautious.

Jones and Murray need to stay together as a pair and the product could be one of the better pairings in the tournament imo. Jones is hesitant, I agree with you there, I'd like to see him use his abilities to drive and facilitate more offense. Murray is a good partner for him if that is what you want to see from Jones. Murray is very intelligent, and very conservative. That pairing played about 30-40 games together last season and by the end they were really clicking well.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Supposedly Eberle has spent a good part of the off season working on one timers. It seems he may be more willing to change than you and many of us may have thought. We will of course see if this actually happens once the season starts but at least there is a recognition that when you play with McDavid you have to react faster than you might otherwise.

To be honest I think Pouliot has mostly deserved the praise he has gotten so far with the Oilers. He's a very skilled guy who had under performed most of his career. When he has been healthy he has been a very good complement to the Oilers better skilled players and has actually showed good chemistry with quite a few guys. His problem though is that he has not been healthy nearly enough. He has scored 34 goals and has 70 points in 113 games which is nothing to sneeze at from a prorated point of view. Its just that "prorated" points don't actually count if you are not on the ice.

It's actually quite remarkable how quickly some of these combinations on the NA team have taken to one another. For me Matthews is an ideal type of player to match with McDavid. Lots of skill but he also goes hard to the net. McDavid generates a lot of chances in close.

All points that are clearly stated by you but not my point. I watch your team about 20-40 games a year at least plus see coverage inside/out of team ; not Flames fan either or even in conference fan so bias is not there:

-That's fine Eberle working on a one timer... but talking playing committed two way game. McDavid should not be expected to play just that way on top line alone. The game has changed with speed ,but also the part where most hockey fans don't see that you need your top6 to be committed in both ends of the rink to be able to win nowadays. There's odd exception but not many (Kessel. Versteeg types but those guys were traded-demoted-moved around in lineup etc). Eberle I think that at this point won't change like I mentioned is sad. I don't see happy ending for him in Edmonton and he's a guy I've liked over the years

-Yes Pouliot has clicked with McDavid but so did Yak. Your point? I think again Pouliot neutral zone play and mistakes on turnovers will be big determining factor if that top line stays together early in the season. With Lucic advanced age and how he wrapped up in Boston I don't like the outlook on Connors line this upcoming season. I see sweeping changes made after honeymoon stage of that line 2-4 months into season. If I'm wrong glad to admit it after Jan-Feb with that projected line

Fair points on Matthews but you are breaking down a fundamental cat that i put in Barkov/Kopitar/Datsyuk mould ... Those linemmates don't grow on trees:laugh: And guys like Matthews and Trocheck who are WAY better at centre are playing wing at this tourney which casual fans are not noticing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad