GDT: 9/19/17 - 7:30PM EDT - Carolina VS Tampa Bay [Preseason Game 1]

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Coop always likes to get prospects the early games, if I'm remembering correctly. Usually takes a while for the regulars to get in.

Interested to hear how Sosunov keeps up. I'm guessing this is the beginning a a loooong look for Conacher.

I'd really like to see what he can do in a clean-up role, like he was in with Vinny in his rookie year. Was it Vinny, Teddy, Conacher? All Conacher did was dig for loose pucks and crash the net. And he had a lot of success that way.

I'm thinking Volkov and not Conacher will be getting the longer, better look. We could really use some energy in the 4th line and he has some decent offensive potential. Conacher is what he is, a good scorer in the AHL and an ok call up for a few games but not someone you want in your lineup nightly.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Coop always likes to get prospects the early games, if I'm remembering correctly. Usually takes a while for the regulars to get in.

Interested to hear how Sosunov keeps up. I'm guessing this is the beginning a a loooong look for Conacher.

I'd really like to see what he can do in a clean-up role, like he was in with Vinny in his rookie year. Was it Vinny, Teddy, Conacher? All Conacher did was dig for loose pucks and crash the net. And he had a lot of success that way.

I doubt Conacher gets that long of a look, honestly. I don't think he has a chance to make the opening night roster. In fact Erne lining up as RW makes me think it's much more likely he sticks than anyone else.

Edit: I should explain more. Conacher is lining up on LW. He's not getting a spot over Palat or Killorn or Kunitz. So that leaves the 4th line. And do you want Conacher on the 4th line? He's not a guy you'd be comfortable shifting wings with either. I agree with Hose - he is what he is. An AHL scorer who can fill in for injuries for a brief time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I doubt Conacher gets that long of a look, honestly. I don't think he has a chance to make the opening night roster. In fact Erne lining up as RW makes me think it's much more likely he sticks than anyone else.

Edit: I should explain more. Conacher is lining up on LW. He's not getting a spot over Palat or Killorn or Kunitz. So that leaves the 4th line. And do you want Conacher on the 4th line? He's not a guy you'd be comfortable shifting wings with either. I agree with Hose - he is what he is. An AHL scorer who can fill in for injuries for a brief time.

Personally, I don't. I just don't know if he would sign back with us if he believed it was set in stone that he'd be back in the A. I could see him in a 3rd line role though, maybe, above Kunitz.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Personally, I don't. I just don't know if he would sign back with us if he believed it was set in stone that he'd be back in the A. I could see him in a 3rd line role though, maybe, above Kunitz.

He signed back with us because he got a one-way contract. It's not like he was in high demand. Even back in the A he gets to make 600k. He's not an NHL player.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He signed back with us because he got a one-way contract. It's not like he was in high demand. Even back in the A he gets to make 600k. He's not an NHL player.

Good point. Hadn't thought about the one-way contract.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

I think (hope) we'll see Vlad as 1LW so we're actually full on LW as is:

1 Namestnikov (with Stamkos, Kuch)
2 Palat (with Johnson, Point)
3 Killorn (with Gourde, Callahan)
4 Kunitz (with Dumont, Brown/Erne)

4RW is probably open as of right now and he might sneak in there but I'd guess they rather give Erne (another LW btw) some minutes there than him.

He's a nice safety net in case of injuries but I would be surprised to see him on the opening night roster. If he makes it, good for him, go Honeybadger!

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL

4RW is probably open as of right now and he might sneak in there but I'd guess they rather give Erne (another LW btw) some minutes there than him.

He's a nice safety net in case of injuries but I would be surprised to see him on the opening night roster. If he makes it, good for him, go Honeybadger!

Where did Paquette go?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Erne's a LW but he's also a big body (and him being on RW makes me think Coop is trying him there) and not a complete disaster in a checking role like Conacher is.

For the record, I don't love having Gourde and Dumont as our bottom 6 Cs (although I think Paquette is a lock for the 4th line C for the 12 games he's healthy). It seems odd to have 4 Cs in our top 6 instead of bumping one of them down to the third line, although at the same time I don't see what the alternative is with our wings the way they are.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Erne's a LW but he's also a big body (and him being on RW makes me think Coop is trying him there) and not a complete disaster in a checking role like Conacher is.

For the record, I don't love having Gourde and Dumont as our bottom 6 Cs (although I think Paquette is a lock for the 4th line C for the 12 games he's healthy). It seems odd to have 4 Cs in our top 6 instead of bumping one of them down to the third line, although at the same time I don't see what the alternative is with our wings the way they are.

Yeah our depth on natural wingers is meh at best.

C: Stamkos, Johnson, Point, Namestnikov, Gourde, Paquette, Dumont
L: Palat, Killorn, Kunitz, Erne, Conacher
R: Kucherov, Callahan, Brown :help:

Conacher is officially listed at C too btw. I guess in Lightning hockey there are just forwards and among them a couple of guys who can actually take a faceoff.
From the centers I listed only four were at 50% or better in FO: Dumont, Stamkos, Johnson, Conacher.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Sustr just made a big booboo that helped Carolina get a pp goal. :facepalm:

Pretty decent attendance for the first preseason game.

Sousanov, (sp) skates really well for such a huge guy. Volkov looks really good. Hajek looks a bit overwhelmed but it's early in the game. More quick impressions will occur randomly. lol

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
What would it take for preseason games to start being televised? Is there a ratings threshold that would make the network reconsider it?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Sustr just made a big booboo that helped Carolina get a pp goal. :facepalm:

Pretty decent attendance for the first preseason game.

Sousanov, (sp) skates really well for such a huge guy. Volkov looks really good. Hajek looks a bit overwhelmed but it's early in the game. More quick impressions will occur randomly. lol

How does the Katchouk-Lipanov-Raddysh line look?

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
How does the Katchouk-Lipanov-Raddysh line look?

First impression is positive. Physical line, not afraid to mix it up and be aggressive. Katchouk took one of the first penalties of the game. lol Lipanov is very smooth with good vision setting plays up. Raddysh looks pretty solid. Will keep a better eye on them. Been watching the dmen more. :D

It's easy to see that the vets are a definite step above the babies, as expected. :)

Vladdy is a step above the other vets as well. Ah, Period 2 is starting.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
First impression is positive. Physical line, not afraid to mix it up and be aggressive. Katchouk took one of the first penalties of the game. lol Lipanov is very smooth with good vision setting plays up. Raddysh looks pretty solid. Will keep a better eye on them. Been watching the dmen more. :D

It's easy to see that the vets are a definite step above the babies, as expected. :)

Vladdy is a step above the other vets as well. Ah, Period 2 is starting.

As much as I hope the positive reports mean good things to come for Vlad, the thing is, he was always pretty good against lesser competition (AHL). He just can't seem to keep up anything close to that kind of game against NHL regs.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Damn. Volkov took a slashing penalty. Teravinen (sp) scored a pp goal. KLR line still looking good. It's getting a little scrappy out there. Refs are calling lots of slashing penalties.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Really no reason to even try to follow this since I can't watch it. Hard to tell how the prospects are playing on a radio broadcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad