GDT: 9/17/13 - pre-season - CBJ @ MIN - 7pm CT - KFAN/Wild.com (Radio)

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
How many of the guys on the power play units last night are guaranteed spots on the opening night roster, let alone the power play? So they kind of were a bunch of scrubs on the power play. It be like someone getting mad at an idiotic opinion expressed by an idiot. That's what you get from an idiot most of the time.
I don't think any of them are scrubs when they are getting paid to play hockey and are being given a chance to make the roster. They should all at the very least be capable of breaking out of their own zone on a PP, it isn't like they were up against a bunch of players on the other side who were guaranteed of a roster spot.

Sloppy is sloppy and expected in the pre-season, looking like you have never seen a hockey puck in your life is a different story. I would also add that many of those guys who were looking clueless have played together a fair amount and should have looked at least a bit better than what they apparently did or sounded like they did on the PP in question.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yea, I could hear the boo's during that power play. Not a great debut for Bruno's power play. They did score once, but again...after we're down 3-0 and did little to nothing after that.

Definitely wasn't booing them, but I was more or less disappointed. That was the 1st line PP of the night, with quite a few we are expecting to either come up and play this year and to hold a spot finally on the roster next year most likely. The fact they couldn't break the offensive zone plane against CBJ scrubs (as they are as well) is a little concerning.

How many of the guys on the power play units last night are guaranteed spots on the opening night roster, let alone the power play? So they kind of were a bunch of scrubs on the power play. It be like someone getting mad at an idiotic opinion expressed by an idiot. That's what you get from an idiot most of the time.

Coyle, Granlund, Brodziak, Zucker, and Spurgeon are. Brodziak botched a horrid pass from the blueline that went about 3ft in front of him. Spurgeon couldn't keep it in. And the others were nothing to write home about either.

As I said above, these were all kids we are expecting to either be called up right away OR make the team next year most likely. Many of which have played together before. Fact they couldn't even complete simple passes tape-2-tape and/or move up the ice as a cohesive unit is what was more alarming. I don't care about the shots, they couldn't even do fundamental hockey last night.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Definitely wasn't booing them, but I was more or less disappointed. That was the 1st line PP of the night, with quite a few we are expecting to either come up and play this year and to hold a spot finally on the roster next year most likely. The fact they couldn't break the offensive zone plane against CBJ scrubs (as they are as well) is a little concerning.

Coyle, Granlund, Brodziak, Zucker, and Spurgeon are. Brodziak botched a horrid pass from the blueline that went about 3ft in front of him. Spurgeon couldn't keep it in. And the others were nothing to write home about either.

As I said above, these were all kids we are expecting to either be called up right away OR make the team next year most likely. Many of which have played together before. Fact they couldn't even complete simple passes tape-2-tape and/or move up the ice as a cohesive unit is what was more alarming. I don't care about the shots, they couldn't even do fundamental hockey last night.

I don't think spurgeon played last night it's presaeason

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I don't think spurgeon played last night it's presaeason

Oh but it doesn't matter. Whenever puck escapes the zone on the PP, it's Spurgeon's fault. Doesn't matter if he's not on the ice or even in the roster at the time, it's his fault.

Don't tell me you didn't get the memo.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
No but I do now.Probally the same people who say mikko shouldn't be captain and yell shoot on the pp.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Granlund had a pretty good game. Looked faster, sharper but it needs to be said that he was basically playing against an enhanced Traverse City team last night. A few vets with 12 rookies. Granlund's faceoff numbers got better as the game went on but he was in the low 40's through the first two periods of the game. That isn't going to cut it at the NHL level; and certainly not as a 2nd line center.

Actually Columbus had 6 or so forwards that will play on Columbus playing along with 3 or so D. No different than Minnesota so your "enhanced Traverse City" comment was far fetched.

He got kicked out twice in the offensive zone in a row. Coyle looked better. Was tied up once and he knocked the guy on his ass and got the puck.

Granlund was 50%.
Coyle was 38%.

So while "looking better" Coyle got his can handed to him in face-offs last night. Not sure what you were watching?

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota

Spurgeon played last night?? Man I must have been listening to an entirely different game than you? :laugh:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

SMH :shakehead:help:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Granlund was 50%.
Coyle was 38%.

So while "looking better" Coyle got his can handed to him in face-offs last night. Not sure what you were watching?

How many did each have? Just posting what NHL.com puts up tells nothing of the performance. And why are you calling me out when I'm discussing my own opinion from what I saw at the game as opposed to what you probably listened to on the radio?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
How many did each have? Just posting what NHL.com puts up tells nothing of the performance. And why are you calling me out when I'm discussing my own opinion from what I saw at the game as opposed to what you probably listened to on the radio?

No matter what you saw, you saw the FIRST preseason game against a team that has played 3 preseason games. Our roster had guys playing with new personal or guys who've never played together. Simply put, don't be disappointed.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
No matter what you saw, you saw the FIRST preseason game against a team that has played 3 preseason games. Our roster had guys playing with new personal or guys who've never played together. Simply put, don't be disappointed.

Just to clarify - Columbus had played one pre-season game before last night.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
I'm not going to get all riled up over a pre-season game because it's a waste to do so but I would be lying if I said that I'm perfectly ok with the fact that between Traverse City & Our first pre-season game, our young guys haven't mustered a single win... It is what it is but I would have hoped that we could have at least one W under our belt by now but oh well... I won't put too much stock in Wins & Losses until they matter.. Sure would like to see some more goals scored & general improvement over the next week or so tho...

On a sidenote, I'd just feel so much better if we already had one solid stomping of another teams squad like How the Kings blew out the Ducks 6 to 0 last night.. One good game similar to that & my faith would be a little restored in our "top notch" prospect pool.. haha

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Power play criticism is just so far off the map right now on things to be concerned about that game. I really doubt all of the guys that will eventually make up the second, likely low-usage pp unit were out there. And for how discombobulated we looked 5 on 5 its not shocking the PP was sloppy--especially as they're trying new things with it. Strange, wonderful things like moving around!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wow, so much hate for what was nothing more than a practice... and really the first one at that.

I'll reserve judgement until the roster is whittled down a little bit more and we start seeing "close" to a regular season lineup.

montyminny

Oct 12, 2006
Good ol Twin Cities
False. They had played two. And now three.

:help:

Wrong - as of last night, they played Pittsburgh on Sunday night. Last night their "A" team was in Columbus playing Buffalo and their "less than A team" was in St Paul playing the Wild.

What should bother people is that most of the players in last night's game in St Paul for Columbus did not play on Sunday night and they came in a pretty much controlled play on the road.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Wrong - as of last night, they played Pittsburgh on Sunday night. Last night their "A" team was in Columbus playing Buffalo and their "less than A team" was in St Paul playing the Wild.

What should bother people is that most of the players in last night's game in St Paul for Columbus did not play on Sunday night and they came in a pretty much controlled play on the road.

I'm super bothered by this. So bothered I don't have words that would describe how bothered I am. :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad