OT: 88th Obsequious Banter Thread: Starts with incredible optimism; ends with the same disappointment

If trees were made of flesh instead of wood, would we still soak pancakes in their blood?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Languages should be learned at a young age....not in HS. We do things ass-backwards here. Some well to do parents send their young kids to private language schools but most Americans take on languages in HS. I had two years of latin in HS...and then 2 of Spanish. The latin was useless even though I enjoyed reading stories about Caecilius in latin...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Languages should be learned at a young age....not in HS. We do things ass-backwards here. Some well to do parents send their young kids to private language schools but most Americans take on languages in HS. I had two years of latin in HS...and then 2 of Spanish. The latin was useless even though I enjoyed reading stories about Caecilius in latin...

Yeh... going to make sure when have kids they are like tri-lingual by 5-6.

Not exactly hard to do, especially as odds are that partner will be foreign. :laugh:

If end up staying with current GF then will:

Have me only speaking English to them.
Have her only speaking Portuguese to them.
Having GFs Mum only speaking Arabic to them. (might not be enough to be fluent... but will at least understand a lot like GF does.)

Then if speak fluent Portuguese Spanish can pretty much be picked up without that much hassle.

GF could:

Speak fluent Portuguese and English, speak okay Spanish and understand a lot of Arabic... by the time she was 7-8 years old. As a result of a pretty similar method.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I want to learn Japanese and Korean... but f*** me it's gonna be a real uphill battle at my age :laugh:.

I read that in theory there should be no big difference in learning based on age... even with slightly decreased neuroplasticity. Yeh, kids will master things like accent better and some grammar concepts. But adults master vocab quicker and other concepts.

If a 5 year old starts learning a new language and a 40 year old starts learning a new language the 40 year old will get to key markers quicker in the same amount of hours, and have a bigger vocab.

But some of it is that kids dont see it as learning! So dont get as bored and find it more interesting. Plus ofc immersion plays a big part.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Anybody on here watch the A&E show 'Accused:Guity or Innocent'? It follows people who are accused of serious crimes, 10+ years of hard time, and the legal process.

It's interesting and shows the stress adversity they face. Obviously there's somethings going on that you don't see but most of the cases they air fall within the grey area and how prosecutors and defense attorneys handle cases.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wigan Warriors trying to stay in contention for the Super League Rugby title vs Leeds right now...

literally playing "my" style of rugby. Athletic, tough, good defensively...

but zero creativity or offensive talent lmao. Tense but for a neutral would be boring lmao.

0-0 after 30 minutes. The average Super League team score like 20 a game... Wigan are at like 14 this season, lowest in the league.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Wigan Warriors trying to stay in contention for the Super League Rugby title vs Leeds right now...

but zero creativity or offensive talent lmao. Tense but for a neutral would be boring lmao.

0-0 after 30 minutes. The average Super League team score like 20 a game... Wigan are at like 14 this season, lowest in the league.

We frown on that phrase around here.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017

Is Catalan still running away with 1st?

Reactions: Appleyard

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
Yep. They won League Leaders Shield already... now into play-offs for Grand Finals.
I used to watch a lot of SL and they were always so enigmatic. They would sign top Aussies every year and not perform. From Taylor, Bird, Kasiano, Carney etc.. They just underperformed. I will say I enjoyed them winning the Challenge Cup a few years back.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
@Appleyard is Ben Flowers still with Wigan? If I remember correctly he was the guy who totally lost his mind in the Final vs St Helens.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
@Appleyard is Ben Flowers still with Wigan? If I remember correctly he was the guy who totally lost his mind in the Final vs St Helens.

At Leigh now.

That was one of the most brutal things I have ever seen in sports.

giphy.gif

For people who did not see it. At full speed it is crazy.

Annnd there was a punch before that.

Asnito

Mar 2, 2017
At Leigh now.

That was one of the most brutal things I have ever seen in sports.

giphy.gif

For people who did not see it. At full speed it is crazy.

Annnd there was a punch before that.

The worst part was it was like 5 mins into the Grand Final. He literally cost his team the championship.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Do/Did they test for PEDs at that time? Cuz that guy who threw the punch looked SUS.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Do/Did they test for PEDs at that time? Cuz that guy who threw the punch looked SUS.

Rugby League has a drug testing policy... there are more people banned for cocaine every year than every other league in the UK aha.

But having a few friends/friends of friends/acquaintances in the sport who played pro, they said they never saw/heard of that much, guys who did it pre-pro but with testing could not get around it once pro. Almost every forward is that big... like Flower is 6'0 and 240lbs... actually an undersized forward really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad