OT: 88th Obsequious Banter Thread: Starts with incredible optimism; ends with the same disappointment

If trees were made of flesh instead of wood, would we still soak pancakes in their blood?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
On a different note, which language classes did y’all’s high schools offer? Mine had Spanish, French, German, and for some reason, Latin. Which was taught by the German teacher.

French and Spanish primarily. Compulsory to do one of the two for 3 years.

Japanese, Urdu and German as secondary ones that usually had to take after school.

Our language tuition absolutely sucks though. National curriculum sets what you do and frankly it is like they dont actually want people to learn a language lmao.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Our language tuition absolutely sucks though. National curriculum sets what you do and frankly it is like they dont actually want people to learn a language lmao.

Yeah, it's the same over here, at least where I went. In middle school (grades 6-8) you had to take a foreign language class each year, but you didn't have to take the same one, so my dumb ass took Intros to Spanish, French, and German in that order. I retained nothing from any of them. If you did take one language all three years, it would count towards a high school class credit, so you could skip straight to Spanish II in high school if you wanted to.

Then in high school, you only had to take two foreign languages classes, so a lot of people only wound up taking one class in high school and called it a day, which is absolutely pointless.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, it's the same over here, at least where I went. In middle school (grades 6-8) you had to take a foreign language class each year, but you didn't have to take the same one, so my dumb ass took Intros to Spanish, French, and German in that order. I retained nothing from any of them. If you did take one language all three years, it would count towards a high school class credit, so you could skip straight to Spanish II in high school if you wanted to.

Then in high school, you only had to take two foreign languages classes, so a lot of people only wound up taking one class in high school and called it a day, which is absolutely pointless.

Tbf I did 5 years of French and it was so bad that I have learned more in like 6 months of duolingo lmao.

I got to similar Danish level in 3 months of state funded classes (2x a week, same as French at school) as in FIVE years of French at school.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Goddammit Toe.

It's a hilariously large old shirt (usually a hand me down from your parents) that you would bust out in art class to cover yourself with so you didn't get your good clothes plastered in paint. Smock up Toe.

giphy.gif
I've never heard anyone call that a smock.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Tbf I did 5 years of French and it was so bad that I have learned more in like 6 months of duolingo lmao.

I got to similar Danish level in 3 months of state funded classes (2x a week, same as French at school) as in FIVE years of French at school.

Yeah, I took four years of German (and my teacher was from Germany, so we knew he knew his stuff), and I barely retained any of it. A friend of mine did a semester abroad in Germany, and wound up being able to speak it better than I ever could. Hell, my teacher's daughter was 4 or 5 by the time I graduated, and he told us she spoke better German than any of his students ever could, with maybe one or two exceptions.

Reactions: Appleyard

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Yeah, I took four years of German (and my teacher was from Germany, so we knew he knew his stuff), and I barely retained any of it. A friend of mine did a semester abroad in Germany, and wound up being able to speak it better than I ever could. Hell, my teacher's daughter was 4 or 5 by the time I graduated, and he told us she spoke better German than any of his students ever could, with maybe one or two exceptions.

I took 2 years of German in high school and then a year in college. I was very excited when I got assigned to Germany in the army. But none of the Germans would speak German to me. As soon as I walked into a place, they knew I was an american, and immediately started speaking English.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
When Lil swami went, they offered one semester of Chinese. I suggested it since she was going to be a business major, but she eventually went accounting, and Spanish.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Such a crazy finish to the English domestic cricket season today and tomorrow...

4 teams all playing final games at same time, all with a chance of winning.

And because of the points system even though all games are in day 3/4 right now... basically every team has an equalish chance.

My team (Lancashire) are in with a chance... but basically no team has it in entirely their own hands right now. As you get additional points for the speed you score at and the speed with which you get the opponents out.

2 of the teams are playing each other too and it is so close. That is actually my team involved. Lancashire vs Hampshire.

Lancashire need 177 runs to win the game... which they should do.

BUT they need to take into account how quickly they need to score and balance that vs actually making the target and not getting all out.

It is kind of having to make a "bet" in advance in terms of approach.

If they fall short of 177? Everyone will say that they were too aggresive.

But if they lose the title because they score 177... but score them too slowly? Aha.

It could come down to 0.5 points which are a result of how fast or slowly someone scored their runs... in these specific games.

Lancashire won their game in epic fashion... could have easily lost. Won by three runs with only one player left.

But not champions yet... have to wait for another result tomorrow and hope Warwickshire dont win. It is either of those two teams titles now.

Going to be a tense day tomorrow.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The sport continues tonight too...

Wigan vs Leeds in Super League rugby. Effectively equivalent to Conference Semi-Finals of Stanley Cup.

Would be awesome if Lancashire, Wigan and Man City all won their domestic titles in the same year. The three big English sports and my fave teams in each might win them all! Wigan dont have the best odds though.

Sale Sharks also have an outside chance for Rugby Union. Maybe amongst top 4 teams in league. But season only just started.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
On a different note, which language classes did y’all’s high schools offer? Mine had Spanish, French, German, and for some reason, Latin. Which was taught by the German teacher.

Our school currently offers French, German, Spanish, and Mandarin which is basically taught straight up by an online program because we don't have any teachers that speak Mandarin. The languages are all electives and it is only recommended that you take at least three courses in one language if you are planning on going to college. Most colleges don't even care about them anymore, so we've had a lot of kids stop taking them. With the ability to easily translate text to almost any language and apps that allow you to converse in real time via your phone, there isn't that importance of needing to fluently speak another language unless it is for specific businesses.

I took four years of Honors German in high school. I remember very little and apparently what I think I remember is usually wrong. Really hard to retain a second language when you aren't using it. Spanish would have been a much better decision.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Elementary school: French classes for the English students and a French immersion option was available. I assume English was taught to the French. Who knows? I never asked them. We just threw snowballs at each other at recess.

High school: English and French classes (English and French students were mixed together). I was in French immersion for the first 2 years: took math and science classes in French.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I was in French immersion in eastern Ontario. Pretty much everyone school had a dedicated French class through elementary.

In high school, the non-immersion kids had to take a language class in grades 9 and 10. Our school for sure offered Spanish and Japanese and I think also German, as well as a regular French class.

I only remember Japanese was an option because one of my best friends hated French so he took it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad