#87 Sidney Crosby Milestone Thread - History will be made (1000th assist)

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
So many things about this are astonishing. 1 assist on a Mario goal, 1 on a Hossa goal, and all of 5 on Zucker's goals. Some of these numbers seem crazy low, given the caliber and/or length of time with Crosby. Like Zucker had 50 goals as a Penguin, total. It goes to show how obsessed the coach was with "Guentzel/Crosby/Rust" that Crosby was involved in only 10% of those.

Meanwhile long LONG forgotten ghosts of the past like Noah Welch (2), Tarnstrom (2), Chris Connor (2), Melichar (2), Nils Ekman (3), and Tomas Surovy (6?!!) are on here. Holy smokes. Not just X-gen penguins, but later guys like Michael Rupp, Steve Sullivan and Downie. And king of all the Crosby beneficiaries is Colby Armstrong, no surprise there.

This list belongs in one of those "things that shouldnt be true about hockey but are" threads. If you said Sidney Crosby contributed to more goals for MIchel Ouellet, than he did for John LeClair, Marian Hossa, Ziggy Palffy, and Mario Lemieux COMBINED, you'd be called a liar

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Martin Skoula was on the penguins? I've watched Sid's whole career and for the life of me can't remember this.
The most memorable thing about Skoula was Shero throwing him in the Ponikarovsky deal for free after rejecting NJ giving a 5th round pick for him. Only for Toronto to flip him the next day to NJ for said pick.

Imagine being afraid to trade Martin Skoula within your division.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The guy can probably play another 5 years and reach top 5 in points, he only needs just a little over 200 more. So 90 points next season, 80 points, 75 points and maybe a few 60 probably doable. If he wasn't hurt he probably finishes 2nd all time.

He just passed into the top 10. I'd say he's a lock, barring a major injury, for top 5. He needs another 330 to make 2nd overall. There's still a chance at that, as his game is translating well as he ages. He could play into his early 40s.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Look at all those wingers in there that Sid apparently liked playing with, that he only manufactured 2-3 goals total from.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He just passed into the top 10. I'd say he's a lock, barring a major injury, for top 5. He needs another 330 to make 2nd overall. There's still a chance at that, as his game is translating well as he ages. He could play into his early 40s.
Hovering around 80 points a season until his age 41 season gets him there. His game does not rely on speed, which makes it more realistic. I just don’t think it has much of a chance of happening in Pittsburgh - the team will be truly horrid as of next year, and having no shot at the playoffs will take a mental toll on his intensity and willingness to play it out. I desperately hope he will be traded to a contender with a functional powerplay, even as I know it will never happen.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hovering around 80 points a season until his age 41 season gets him there. His game does not rely on speed, which makes it more realistic. I just don’t think it has much of a chance of happening in Pittsburgh - the team will be truly horrid as of next year, and having no shot at the playoffs will take a mental toll on his intensity and willingness to play it out. I desperately hope he will be traded to a contender with a functional powerplay, even as I know it will never happen.

Crosby seems to thrive when he is the main attraction. He's always played with non-star linemates, and usually plays with guys who would be tweeners on most teams. Guentzel might be more the exception to the rule.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
bbfyVRt.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad