80% of Draisaitl's starts are in the O-Zone, right way to develop a player?

AFTeRMaTH*

It blows because I really want to see Draisaitl be a stud. Edmonton is doing their best to ruin his career. The NHL better not let them get McDavid or Eichel.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
And he has that potential, but with his current management, no chance.

A poor man Kopitar maybe? I don't see him have the speed or skill to match Kopitar no matter what the management is. He has the potential to be a perfect #2 center at about 50-60 pts per season IMO. He should have stayed in juniors this year though.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
We are talking about young Edmonton players in all of which have underachieved this year.

Leon is just a rookie.

Edmonton needs more of and the right horses in order to succeed.

Leon isn't being used correctly but also doesn't belong in the league however I don't subscribe to the stunted growth theory.

You may not be ready for the NHL at 18 or 19 but your either good or not.
Players not yet ready who are thrown into the furnace don't hurt their development instead they mess with the team's success.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He has to get those starts because his skating isn't there. The question is, will it ever be there?

skating is one of the easiest things to improve on if you're willing to put in the time/effort.. i.e: Justin Braun :D

I'm sure Sharks fans can attest to how weak Braun's skating was up until a couple of seasons ago.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Everyone would be better off if they gave some AHL superstar the exact same minutes and starts.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
MacT gambled on Drai being a #2C in the NHL right out of junior. He was dead wrong but too stubborn to send him down so the coaches had no choice but to shelter the heck out of him. Typical oilers devlopment. Now that the tank is on he will be sent down it looks like before he burns a year to becoming UFA.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
its insane how high those numbers are for a lot of the players... it shows he wants offence from some players and defence from others. It's as close to football O and D as hockey can even get

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The oilerz are starting to remind me alot of the sens from the 90s. I really dont know if its development that ruined yak, but he looks terrible. Draisitl is way too young to be considered a bust but his nhl start is no where near encouraging

Bonk=draisitl

Daigle=yakupov

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's not a bad formula for developing a player.

The only problem is the NHL isn't a developmental league.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
MacT gambled on Drai being a #2C in the NHL right out of junior. He was dead wrong but too stubborn to send him down so the coaches had no choice but to shelter the heck out of him. Typical oilers devlopment. Now that the tank is on he will be sent down it looks like before he burns a year to becoming UFA.
Didn't he start to burn a year after game 10?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
A poor man Kopitar maybe? I don't see him have the speed or skill to match Kopitar no matter what the management is. He has the potential to be a perfect #2 center at about 50-60 pts per season IMO. He should have stayed in juniors this year though.

You don't think he has the speed to match Kopitar? :laugh:

Kopitar is good at many things, speed not being one of them. I know Draisaitl has skating issues, but he's got huge room for improvement in that regard, unlike Kopitar. And yeah that old "everyone is a 50-60 point player" mindset. I hate it. Be bold people, or you can never predict a superstar. Draisaitl will likely end up in that range, but he certainly has Kopitar potential. When Kopitar was just drafted, how many thought he'd become the player he is today? His potential is FAR greater than you're giving him credit for. I remember Busthansen a few years ago, now he's Godhansen.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Holy ****, didn't understand there were fourth liners having 10% OZS but almost 40% OZ finishes, is that normal or does Edmonton have an exceptional 4th line?

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Holy ****, didn't understand there were fourth liners having 10% OZS but almost 40% OZ finishes, is that normal or does Edmonton have an exceptional 4th line?

Some of its due to randomness. It's sort of the 'nowhere to go but up' idea. If 1/3 of all shifts end are due to luck (I don't know if anybody has run these numbers) and those shifts end at 50/50 then you would improve on 10% with no skill involved. That said, EDM does have a good 4th line (I really like Gordon) - unfortunately they are often the teams most effective players.

I've actually wondered the same about Draisatil and it does seem like overkill. A large part of the game is transition and those starts limits that development. It also signals a complete lack of confidence in him, ergo he shouldn't be in the NHL.

ZeroPT*

Its hockey. You act like the puck never leaves the zone.

I never said that. If one starts in the offensive zone it's less responsibility. If you start in the D zone it's more responsibility. Less responsibility for any rookie is good. Rookies need to play and let loose.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
skating is one of the easiest things to improve on if you're willing to put in the time/effort.. i.e: Justin Braun :D

I'm sure Sharks fans can attest to how weak Braun's skating was up until a couple of seasons ago.

This is only somewhat true. If you are never an above average skater for your age group then you will never be an above average skater in the NHL. Skating typically never goes from a weakness to a strength between junior and NHL. But it can get up to a level that won't hold a player back in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad