80% of Draisaitl's starts are in the O-Zone, right way to develop a player?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Stop letting Edmonton get high end talent like this. It's bad for the league.

JS91

May 14, 2014
He shouldn't even be in the NHL at the moment. They should have just let him develop in juniors for one more year, but it's Edmonton so this was pretty much expected. The fact that Draisaitl, who is supposed to become a solid two way forward, is starting 80% of his faceoffs in the o-zone is just mind boggling though. They probably back that decision up by saying that they want to put better, more experienced and reliable players out there on d-zone faceoffs, but they are already so bad that refusing to put Draisaitl out there on d-zone faceoffs only results in Draisaitl's development suffering even more.
Oh, Edmonton.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Whoever the Oilers draft (likely McDavid, Eichel, or Hanifin) should simply refuse to play for them. They are honestly ruining the careers of young players left right and centre. If the player they draft refuses to play for them, I wouldnt even hold it against that player. That franchise just doesnt get it.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The right way to develop him would be to get him the hell outta Edmonton...and for him to stuff Yak in his backpack and sneak him outta there as well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Could I ask someone to post Couturier's Rookie season as a comparison.

Also, what site do you get the info from. I see extraskater is down.

Bps21*

You call it sheltering...I call it purposely throwing away scoring zone time on a person who couldn't more clearly not belong on this level if he had no feet in an effort to finish last...

six of one...half a dozen of another.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Could I ask someone to post Couturier's Rookie season as a comparison.

Also, what site do you get the info from. I see extraskater is down.

Couts has always had very low O-zone starts since the beginning of his career, hes been Philly's go to shutdown center (that being said Giroux never has high o-zone starts aswell).

2014-2015: 38.4%
13-14: 42.6%
12-13: 32.1%
11-12: 40.3 %

The real story here is Boyd Gordon.

He's the reason the Oilers are able to shelter Draisaitl so much.

Gordon's been Edmonton's unsung hero, gotta feel bad for the guy.. close to 90% d-zone starts, yikes.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You call it sheltering...I call it purposely throwing away scoring zone time on a person who couldn't more clearly not belong on this level if he had no feet in an effort to finish last...

six of one...half a dozen of another.

If Pouliot were healthy, Draisaitl would have the 9th most offensive zone starts on the team.

He obviously shouldn't be in the NHL, but that has nothing to do with how he's being utilized.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
They are doing to him what they've done to their other young prospects before him. Destroying or slowing his development. This kid should not be in the NHL right now and he will be passed by many other kids in his draft year next year. The Oilers need to get the arrogant management personnel out of office and get some people in place who know what they're doing. The Oilers management may have been great players, but they are terrible management personnel. I feel sorry for the fans because there is no end in sight as long as those people are still running the show.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The Oilers are just garbage. First they don't release him for the World Juniors and then they healthy scratch him in the following game.

It feels like they are trying their best to destroy his development.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's almost like the Oilers have no clue what they're doing. But Kevin Lowe has 6 Stanley Cup rings so that's obviously not the case.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Couts has always had very low O-zone starts since the beginning of his career, hes been Philly's go to shutdown center (that being said Giroux never has high o-zone starts aswell).

Gordon's been Edmonton's unsung hero, gotta feel bad for the guy.. close to 90% d-zone starts, yikes.

Thanks. I knew Couturiers were low....just not an exact number.

So is it not correct to infer that If Couturier was getting LD or Yak's OZ starts, his points would certainly go up?

It's scary to see LD and Yak with such low point totals AND yet high OZ starts.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
To be fair the Oilers start in the offensive zone around 5 times a game.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Edmonton doesn't develop players....they just sign them to $42 MM contracts and cross their fingers.

ZeroPT*

Thanks. I knew Couturiers were low....just not an exact number.

So is it not correct to infer that If Couturier was getting LD or Yak's OZ starts, his points would certainly go up?

It's scary to see LD and Yak with such low point totals AND yet high OZ starts.
They definitely would. He is 19th lowest in DZS by players who have over 20 games. The other noteworthy names on that list are mainly 4th liners like Lapierre and Brodziak.
They sure know how to develop talent in Edmonton
It's not a bad technique. It's the wrong player. Heavy OZS and low QoC is the way to go. Draisaitl just isn't ready for that

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
You ask me, that is the completely wrong approach. The Oilers are like George Costanza in that one episode, all his decisions are bad so do the exact opposite of what he would do, right? The right approach is to put him between your two best defensive bottom-six grinding wingers, preferably veterans. So, you put him with Hendricks, Puliot, or Perron and have that line do the yeoman's work, the kid learns by watching the work habits of veteran players who weren't top draft picks and made their careers the hard way. Like the Canucks the other night had Horvat between Burrows and Dorsett, playing defensive minutes, scrapping it out, guess what, that line opened the scoring of course. That's how you do it!

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City

82.5 percent of Boyd Gordon's starts are in the D-zone, and over 70 percent of his shifts end there. http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...DM&c=0+1+3+5+63+67+57+58+59+60+61+62+64+65+66

BTW, for players with at least 20 games played, Couturier is 30th among D-zone starts, while Boyd Gordon is 5th. For 30+ games played, Couturier is 13th (Gordon hasn't played at least 30 games, but Manny Malhotra leads the league in defensive zone starts for 30+ games.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's just sad to watch a young player put in a situation where he can't possibly succeed.

KevinBXA

Professional Caveman
Nov 4, 2010
The Roxy
People who feel the need to start Oilers threads, here's a dandy checklist to answer you questions:

The Oilers as a whole suck at most, if not all things. This massive suckage creates huge problems within the organization. Does that answer your thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad