• Xavier Oullet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luke Witkowski

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I have no problem with them staying together for a bit. Same with the TZN line which I don’t think looks good either. I can’t stand coaches disassembling lines before they get a chance to work out the kinks. I just don’t think Mantha’s role on that line really works for the type of player he is. But maybe that’s the point - to diversify him as a player.
Yeah, we have 82 games to see who works well with who. If we are actually rebuilding this is a great opportunity to test things out and be patient with it.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Missed the game unfortunately, but am I seeing that right? Ottawa had 7 pps? What the actual f*** ...

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Game sucked, total gong show long boring snooze penalty fest. The NHL better get it together because these ratings are gonna plummet games 10-70 when people get over the initial its hockey time and it's almost playoff time.

I love hearing this Mantha talk. He's like Ovechkin (not really, but really), or like Franzen. Sometimes the puck doesn't find him in a given night, then we hear how awful and uninterested he was. He is not a puck possession corsi freak player. So stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. You realize this was a road game with the score 0-0 with 3 minutes to play right? Ottawa is a defensive minded team to boot. Mantha isn't going to stand out every game every night for the next 700 of his career. There are some games Alex Ovechkin is a nobody. It balances out over a season...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Remember what we hoped Pulks would be? That's been Frk so far. Good stuff from him.

my-man.jpg

Reactions: ArGarBarGar
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think Mantha might be getting a little more criticism than he should be. His linemates put him in a position where he had to play higher in the zone to keep somebody back in case of a change in possession. Like Larkin is always going to go gung ho and forecheck his face off, and Frk is trying to show that he can work hard on the forecheck and in the corners. So with those two playing aggressively, Mantha has to sit back and be the F3 sometimes. That's what we saw tonight.

But TBH, I think anybody who has to play F3 on a scoring line looks like they're not doing a lot. It limits your ability to contribute to the play at times, and you just have to kind of keep your positioning and hope the play comes to you. I don't think it's really that Mantha was being super lazy. He spends a lot of time looking around him and adjusting his positioning, for example.

Subject change: did it occur to anybody else that Mantha-Larkin-Frk is similar to Drouin-MacKinnon-Frk? Obviously the talent levels aren't exactly equal, but the super skilled finesse winger-north/south shoot-first centerman with crazy wheels-Martin Frk thing seems very similar to me. It makes sense that Frk works well in that context, because that's how he made his name in the first place.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...Subject change: did it occur to anybody else that Mantha-Larkin-Frk is similar to Drouin-MacKinnon-Frk? Obviously the talent levels aren't exactly equal, but the super skilled finesse winger-north/south shoot-first centerman with crazy wheels-Martin Frk thing seems very similar to me. It makes sense that Frk works well in that context, because that's how he made his name in the first place.

That's really cool. Until recently I wasn't aware he was so successful with such skilled players. The fact Frk has proven he can play with elite talent, that's significant.

I haven't had too many comments to add but reading I want to say there is a refreshing energy here at HF. A lot of intelligent posts. The general outlook feels honest with tempered expectations while expressing a healthy spirit of enjoyment/optimism. It truly has lifted my mood regarding the team this week. If the Wings can play at least 1/2 way entertaining hockey I'll be satisfied.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Subject change: did it occur to anybody else that Mantha-Larkin-Frk is similar to Drouin-MacKinnon-Frk? Obviously the talent levels aren't exactly equal, but the super skilled finesse winger-north/south shoot-first centerman with crazy wheels-Martin Frk thing seems very similar to me. It makes sense that Frk works well in that context, because that's how he made his name in the first place.

Maybe in the sense that it’s the most talented line he’s played on since those guys.

But stylistically, I don’t think the lines are very similar.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Frk looks like he's solid.

I was watching this game with a group full of Sens fans, who were making fun of Frk based on his name. They were having fun with it until he buried one, that shut them up real quick.

I don't know how I feel about getting these wins though, we're supposed to suck.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mantha was floating. He really needs to find some consistency to his game. The 30+ goal power forward is in there somewhere, but he takes too many shifts off. Need way more from him every shift.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Mantha does not really throw hits. He does occasionally because he is big, but he plays like a finesse player (who just happens to be big).

It is nice to see Larkin/Mantha/Frk line playing ok so far. I think it is important these players show they can play without Zetterberg. And thus they should prove what they can do without an old superstar carrying them.

So far they have looked good. And that is exciting.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Mantha was floating. He really needs to find some consistency to his game. The 30+ goal power forward is in there somewhere, but he takes too many shifts off. Need way more from him every shift.
It's been two games. This game was odd because he wasn't really able to get into any kind of groove with the parade of penalties, and the game was pretty disjointed in general.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I thought mantha had a good game with his four minutes of ice time

Didn't realize people were criticizing him lol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's not and never will be a power forward. Can we please stop labeling him that?

Yeah, he will never be a power forward... or at least my definition of one.

But he uses that size really well with puck protection, and his reach really helps him to be an effective playmaker.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He only had 14 minutes of icetime. And he was playing well in a really disjointed and defensive game.

It's starting to get old hearing that Mantha was floating anytime he doesn't have a multi-point game. It's just how he looks.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Larkin's line has been really good.

I don't think Howard's performance is sustainable, but its good to see Larkin, Mantha and Frk all doing very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad