Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xavier Oullet

• Luke Witkowski

• Total voters

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Game sucked, total gong show long boring snooze penalty fest. The NHL better get it together because these ratings are gonna plummet games 10-70 when people get over the initial its hockey time and it's almost playoff time.

I love hearing this Mantha talk. He's like Ovechkin (not really, but really), or like Franzen. Sometimes the puck doesn't find him in a given night, then we hear how awful and uninterested he was. He is not a puck possession corsi freak player. So stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. You realize this was a road game with the score 0-0 with 3 minutes to play right? Ottawa is a defensive minded team to boot. Mantha isn't going to stand out every game every night for the next 700 of his career. There are some games Alex Ovechkin is a nobody. It balances out over a season...

Mantha actually is a great Corsi player though. The possession or shot differential stats when he's on the ice are amazing.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Mantha does not really throw hits.

He knocked Ben Harpur out of the game due to this hit last night.

H84X0X3.gif

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yeah but that's like the first hit he's ever thrown
He's played less than 100 games in the NHL. I suspect as he continues to grow and learn the league he'll use his size and physicality more. He's already been in a few fights, too.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Mantha was floating. He really needs to find some consistency to his game. The 30+ goal power forward is in there somewhere, but he takes too many shifts off. Need way more from him every shift.

When the team gets 8 penalties, non penalty killers often fall out of the rhythm, happens to even superstar players like Ovechkin.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
The general outlook feels honest with tempered expectations while expressing a healthy spirit of enjoyment/optimism. It truly has lifted my mood regarding the team this week. If the Wings can play at least 1/2 way entertaining hockey I'll be satisfied.
Hmmm. In my opinion we have played 1 good period in the 2 games, 3rd period of Game 1. Shouldn't measure entertainment/good play against a W/L. Not the same thing.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I don't think Howard has been wildly hot, he's making a lot of saves by accumulation because the blueline struggles to block shots and/or clear the zone so much there are a lot of low percentage shots getting to him. He has certainly been very good, though.

I like Daley. He's a full ice defenseman. The blueline is still a problem, but more like a 'oh geez our blueline stinks' problem and not a 'I break out in hives the moment the puck crosses center ice' problem. If Kronwall has a couple gasps left in the tank... yeah, it'll still be bad. Did anyone have 'Daley will lead the team in TOI' in a preseason pool?

I don't think Mantha is floating. I think he's a one-dimensional player, so when he's not producing he becomes an easy target.

Frk plays with desperation. I like it.

Everyone hates these guys because of their contracts, but Helm and Abdelkader are playing really good defensive hockey right now. People will hate them until they start scoring, but it's a start.

Last year there were a few guys whose play out on the ice was embarrassing. So far, I haven't seen that. Then again, Mrazek hasn't gotten a start yet either.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Hmmm. In my opinion we have played 1 good period in the 2 games, 3rd period of Game 1. Shouldn't measure entertainment/good play against a W/L. Not the same thing.

I totally agree these games have not been excellent to watch. With a friend in the hospital and my normal connections I've been kind of binge watching NHL the last days and can say with certainty our 2 wins were near the least thrilling. I love when hockey gets rolling back and forth with beautiful passes, chances at both ends. You can imagine a play being set up a second beforehand then it happens, like some sick cross-ice sauce all the way to a D that catches the puck at the blue line. For the most part the Wings lack the talent to set up the same type of "dreamy" offensive plays.

Still we all know the expectations for the Wings are low and we're in a stage of transition. Instead of the usual mindless vitriol it seems like people this season are looking at small things to appreciate. For example the comment HD made about DeKeyser, that he's never really improved like we hoped. It's a lot more thoughtful than "he's horribad blah blah". I'm trying to remain positive instead of driving myself insane with frustration over the fact we're not a top team (and may not be for a long while).

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The game against Ottawa was a pretty even tilt. It was a playoff game. Ottawa was blocking a ton of shots and both team's goalie stole the show. The Wings won't be taking 7 penalties every game, either.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Honestly I thought both games were pretty entertaining. The first game started slow, but got better in the second half, and the Ottawa game, despite being low scoring had a little bit of everything, and was enjoyable in my opinion. If you want boring games, watch any of about 40-50 games from last year. These two this year, are a lot better than many last year, that is for certain.

Zetterberg still looks like the smartest player on the ice each night.
Larkin is skating like he did in the first half of year one.
Mantha looks like he is using his size better, and trying to be more creative with the puck.
Helm has been physical, forcing turnovers and skating well.
Daley looks pretty good, keeps the puck moving, especially in our zone.
Green has looked great in my opinion, smart defence and offence.
Howard has been sharp if unspectacular.

The bad

Sheahan and Abdelkader look like more of what we saw last year, as does Dekeyser who I think has been our worst player in the preseason and first 2 games. He seems to panic every time he has the puck in our zone, especially on the PK.

Oct 18, 2006
Anyone else really like Jensen? Thought he was great this game. Love his skating, coolness under pressure, and how he's always trying to make things happen. Unlucky not to pick up a point in this one.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Anyone else really like Jensen? Thought he was great this game. Love his skating, coolness under pressure, and how he's always trying to make things happen. Unlucky not to pick up a point in this one.
I thought Jensen had a great game in Ottawa.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Missed the game unfortunately, but am I seeing that right? Ottawa had 7 pps? What the actual **** ...
The title of this thread should be "refs call 10
Honestly I thought both games were pretty entertaining. The first game started slow, but got better in the second half, and the Ottawa game, despite being low scoring had a little bit of everything, and was enjoyable in my opinion. If you want boring games, watch any of about 40-50 games from last year. These two this year, are a lot better than many last year, that is for certain.

Zetterberg still looks like the smartest player on the ice each night.
Larkin is skating like he did in the first half of year one.
Mantha looks like he is using his size better, and trying to be more creative with the puck.
Helm has been physical, forcing turnovers and skating well.
Daley looks pretty good, keeps the puck moving, especially in our zone.
Green has looked great in my opinion, smart defence and offence.
Howard has been sharp if unspectacular.

The bad

Sheahan and Abdelkader look like more of what we saw last year, as does Dekeyser who I think has been our worst player in the preseason and first 2 games. He seems to panic every time he has the puck in our zone, especially on the PK.
I disagree completely with Helm. He looks way slower....

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The fact we "don't" notice him is a great sign. The only defensemen that has been turning pucks over constantly this year is Jonathan Ericsson

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The title of this thread should be "refs call 10

I disagree completely with Helm. He looks way slower....

Yeah I 100% agree. Helm looks like he has slowed down quite a bit, which is very concerning because his speed is all he has. Helm without speed is barely an NHL calibre player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad