#8 rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Carl O'Steen said:
I already shot down my previous claim of him being 225. I did however state that the team website has him at 6'2, 203.

So, get over it.

The original Toronto Star article that listed him as 6'2'' and 225 pounds, which to a couple of posters' dismay, sounded wrong. Indeed it was wrong.

Since the 225 pounds has already been proven wrong, it is sensible to infer that both stats the Toronto Star boasted could be crock.

So he is 203 instead of 225 and he is likely 6'0'' as opposed to 6'2''.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Legionnaire said:
As voted by the fans. He doesn't necessarily deserve it.

Thats true. But fan popularity also means revenue. Lehtonen will score the Thrashers millions in jersey sales and generate more money through other promotional sales.

I bet NJ sold more Brodeur jerseys than Rafalski, Madden, Friesen and White jerseys combined.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Well, the Thrashers are hardly at a loss for players with "star power" I'm thinking Kovalchuk jerseys will at least triple Lehtonen jerseys.

leafaholix*

Jovanovski = Norris said:
The original Toronto Star article that listed him as 6'2'' and 225 pounds, which to a couple of posters' dismay, sounded wrong. Indeed it was wrong.

Since the 225 pounds has already been proven wrong, it is sensible to infer that both stats the Toronto Star boasted could be crock.

So he is 203 instead of 225 and he is likely 6'0'' as opposed to 6'2''.
He's 6'2.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
Thats true. But fan popularity also means revenue. Lehtonen will score the Thrashers millions in jersey sales and generate more money through other promotional sales.

I bet NJ sold more Brodeur jerseys than Rafalski, Madden, Friesen and White jerseys combined.

And this is revelent how?

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site

How many sweaters would they need to sell to make them millions?

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Carl O'Steen said:
He's 6'2.

Just like the way you said he's 225 pounds? Funny.

KING ELVI said:

I feel compelled to not even validate this half-baked question with a response as it is clear that you haven't been able to follow the gist of the conversation. We were talking about which group of prospects would be better, Atlanta's or LA's. Both groups had their advantages. Lehtonen has his and this is one of the incentives he brings to Atlanta (when Legionnaire posted about his popularity).

KING ELVI said:

A lot. But Lehtonen is a franchise player capable of playing 15+ NHL seasons as well as countless international tournaments.

Last edited:

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
How much is a jersey?

They range from cheap $50( we do see a lot of these at the games) to authentic $200. I have been following the topics and I just don't see many goalie sweaters that would add up to "millions of dollars". Roy, yes but look at his body of work. Lethonen may be the next great goalie, but imo it won't be in ATL. ATL is a funny sports town, they used to love the Braves now they don't sell out playoff games, Vick is a hero, but when he doesn't play(injured) the stadium isn't close to being full, and the Thrashers are a promotional givaway. They just don't support the sport down in ATL. So to sell enough hockey sweaters to gross millions of dollars in Atlanta is not an accurate statement imo.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
KING ELVI said:
They range from cheap $50( we do see a lot of these at the games) to authentic $200. I have been following the topics and I just don't see many goalie sweaters that would add up to "millions of dollars". Roy, yes but look at his body of work. Lethonen may be the next great goalie, but imo it won't be in ATL. ATL is a funny sports town, they used to love the Braves now they don't sell out playoff games, Vick is a hero, but when he doesn't play(injured) the stadium isn't close to being full, and the Thrashers are a promotional givaway. They just don't support the sport down in ATL. So to sell enough hockey sweaters to gross millions of dollars in Atlanta is not an accurate statement imo.

Then suppose X is the cost of a jersey.
And suppose Y is the amount of jerseys sold.
And suppose Z is the time frame the jerseys will be on sale.

X = between $50 - $200
Y = unknown
Z = 15 - 17 years.

if X * Y * Z - cost of making & distributing jerseys = millions

Y would only total to a couple thousand every year

Even if the Thrashers only make $50 on every jersey they sell, they'd only have to sell a couple thousand every year to make 5+ million. Lehtonen would also rake in money through T-shirts, jackets, bobblehead dolls, posters, collectibles, helmets, advertisings in the stadium, and a variety of other means etc...

And the argument about Atlanta not being a hockey city.....
You can reverse the same argument for the L.A. Kings and the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Or every other sports franchise there is in hockey. When the team is hot, everyone is on the bandwagon, when they aren't, people are off.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Then suppose X is the cost of a jersey.
And suppose Y is the amount of jerseys sold.
And suppose Z is the time frame the jerseys will be on sale.

X = between $50 - $200
Y = unknown
Z = 15 - 17 years.

if X * Y * Z - cost of making & distributing jerseys = millions

Y would only total to a couple thousand every year

Even if the Thrashers only make $50 on every jersey they sell, they'd only have to sell a couple thousand every year to make 5+ million. Lehtonen would also rake in money through T-shirts, jackets, bobblehead dolls, posters, collectibles, helmets, advertisings in the stadium, and a variety of other means etc...

Haven't been to a Kings game, have you? They sell out most nights and the last 2 seasons when everyone and their brother were hurt, we still packed the place. The Ducks have a small core of faithfull fans and the rest are just suits looking for a write-off. Can't really compare the Atl fans and King fan, they are just a whole different breed.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
Last I checked Dimitri Vorobiev has more points in the top level of European hockey than Valabik has in the CHL... and Vorobiev was one of the top defensemen at the 2005 WJC.

Draft position means nothing, you're right. And a case can easily be made that Dimitri Vorobiev is a better prospect than Boris Valabik.

As for size, one is 6'6, 225... the other is 6'2, 225. So size is not an issue. Vorobiev is as big as most of the Leafs current NHL defensemen and has the physical abilities to match up against most NHL'ers at the age of 19.

You have this hang up on points. It has little to do with how valuable a dman is. Can he clear the crease? Is he good with rebounds? Is his passing crisp? Does he play sound positional hockey? Does he intimidate offensive players? These are important things.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Epsilon said:
That's like me saying "I'd rather have Lehtonen over any Wings prospect, but not by much over Grigorenko or Kornwall". Lehtonen is a better prospect than Brown and Grebeshkov combined.

ditto for Grigorenko and Kronwall.

also, i'd rather have Slater over Boyle and Lehoux.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
Yann Danis goes from an unknown NCAA goalie, signs with Montreal, and is now suddenly a top 10 goalie prospect. It doesn't take a genius to see why.

Unknown? He was one of the top goalies in the division...

GOALIES GP MIN W L SOL SO GA GAA SV SV%
Danis, Yann 28 1594:31 13 10 4 3 61 2.30 757 .925

doesn't take a genius to see why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad