#8 rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Thrashers have two excellent NHL prospects in Lehtonen and Coburn and 2 other decent NHL prospects in Valabik and Slater. Valabik and Slater wouldn't make the top ten on some teams' prospect lists.

Why are they ranked 8th overall? Two surefire future NHL players in the lot.
Valabik will never skate well enough to be effective in the NHL, coupled with the eventual crackdown on dirty play and interference. That doesn't bode well for him...and Slater may well be a third line NHL player.

The rest? See for yourself - they are all floundering in the AHL. They earn such praise as:

Paul Flache -

"highest plus/minus among Thrashers prospects on the team at +3"

Brian Sipotz -

With four points on the season, he has almost matched his career totals at Miami of five points"

Jeff Dwyer -

"In nine games he has two assists and is –1. "

Derek MacKenzie -

"MacKenzie’s 2004-05 season has seen a step back offensively"

Karl Stewart -

"In fact, he went 16 games without scoring any points"

Colin Stuart -

"He has two assists in 18 games and is even."

Stephen Baby - (his real name, not making it up)

"His offensive production is way down, however, from 26 points in 68 games with the Wolves last year to five points in 42 games"

Kevin Doell -

"the 5’11 center looks overmatched on the ice, trying to survive the AHL, not compete in it. The 25-year-old isn’t nearly as effective at this level as he was in the ECHL" (welcome to the AHL, Kevin)

Just in case you think I left ANYTHING good or redeeming out, see for yourself:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7502&mode=threaded&order=0

I'm not trying to be mean spirited, just bringing up the fact that the Thrashers prospect status at #8 best overall is a joke. They're somehwere in the 20's. Even if Lehtonen and Coburn become stud NHL players - which is not a guarantee. I do like them both.

From prospect slot #4 and below, the Thrashers are dead last, #30. In other words, take the Thrashers list from #4 thru #20 and any other teams list from #4 to #20 and the Thrashers will be a poorer crop of prospects. Show me a team that is worse, from slot #4 and below.

Last edited:

leafaholix*

Unbiased Canadian said:
I think Valabik would make most teams top 5 prospects....not ours because we are soo damn good lol Just joking non-habs fans....but really he wouldn't
He shouldn't make many top 5's.

He's not that good.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I still think there are plenty of teams who would like to have Valabik in their organization. In Atlanta's Top 20, I think Lewis, Sharrow, Berkhoel and Vanelli are interesting prospects. I haven't kept up with the progress on all of Atlanta's "Other Notables" but I find some of them more interesting than some in their Top 20, namely: Desbiens, Enstrom, Gajic, Gracik, Lehman, Loginov, Sterling, Turple and Painchaud.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Peter James Bond said:
I'm not trying to be mean spirited, just bringing up the fact that the Thrashers prospect status at #8 best overall is a joke. They're somehwere in the 20's. Even if Lehtonen and Coburn become stud NHL players - which is not a guarantee. I do like them both.

From prospect slot #4 and below, the Thrashers are dead last, #30. In other words, take the Thrashers list from #4 thru #20 and any other teams list from #4 to #20 and the Thrashers will be a poorer crop of prospects. Show me a team that is worse, from slot #4 and below.

I completely agree.

Holly Gunning is a very good writer and very dedicated. But for a long time I have not agreed with her analysis of the Thrashers pool of prospects (individually or collectively) and I don't think I ever will.

There's no way this sad group is 8th overall.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i wouldn't even call 6'2 tall, that's just good sized for a NHL defenseman, not big or tall

i think grant lewis is a good pick though, will be interesting to see what he becomes, looked good the times i've seen him

leafaholix*

Jovanovski = Norris said:
He would make the top 5 of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He would also make the top 5 of the Vancouver Canucks.
Based on who's list? I've seen him play a bit here, and he's massively overrated just for his size and the success of a guy named Zdeno.

I wouldn't have him ahead of any of these guys...

Colaiacovo
Steen
Earl
Vorobiev
Williams

You will think he's better than many prospects, but he's not.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Carl O'Steen said:
Based on who's list? I've seen him play a bit here, and he's massively overrated just for his size and the success of a guy named Zdeno.

Colaiacovo
Steen
Earl
Vorobiev
Williams

id have him ahead of Williams but not the other 4.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I completely agree.

Holly Gunning is a very good writer and very dedicated. But for a long time I have not agreed with her analysis of the Thrashers pool of prospects (individually or collectively) and I don't think I ever will.

There's no way this sad group is 8th overall.

Yes, Holly is a good writer.

Holly, in your opinion, which team's (other than your own) prospects do you think are underrated here on HF? Just wondering. Thanks.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Carl O'Steen said:
There's also Wellwood and Bell.
I would agree that Wellwood should be on your list before Williams. Williams is a work in progress.

And using the good start of Robbie Earl and the solid mid season play of Vorobiev in the discussion of a ranking that was done in Sept/Oct creates a false comparison.

Maybe the Leafs rise in the next installment.

But one thing....why does everything always have to be about the Leafs? This isn't about the Leafs, but you are making about the Leafs.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^Wellwood...ehh...I know Leafs fans are high on him, and he has tremendous puckhandling ability, but he's a top-six-or-bust type guy, IMO. And his other tools are definitely not up to NHL-snuff at this time. At this particular moment, I'd rank Valabik ahead of him. But as La-La-Laprise said, not ahead of the other 4.

~Canucklehead~

leafaholix*

slats432 said:
I would agree that Wellwood should be on your list before Williams. Williams is a work in progress.

And using the good start of Robbie Earl and the solid mid season play of Vorobiev in the discussion of a ranking that was done in Sept/Oct creates a false comparison.

Maybe the Leafs rise in the next installment.
I'm not comparing the Leafs top 5 to anyone elses... just that Valabik isn't a great prospect... he went that high because of his size, as Frank Bonello said prior to the draft.

leafaholix*

canucklehead17 said:
^Wellwood...ehh...I know Leafs fans are high on him, and he has tremendous puckhandling ability, but he's a top-six-or-bust type guy, IMO. And his other tools are definitely not up to NHL-snuff at this time. At this particular moment, I'd rank Valabik ahead of him. But as La-La-Laprise said, not ahead of the other 4.

~Canucklehead~
Valabik is no safe prospect.

He falls under the same boom or bust category.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Carl O'Steen said:

Colaiacovo
Steen
Earl
Vorobiev
Williams

You are smoking the good stuff if you think Dmitry Vorobiev and Robbie Earl are better prospects than Valabik.

Just six months ago, in the 2004 entry draft,
Valabik was taken 10th overall in the 1st round while
Vorobiev was taken 157th overall in the 5th round and
Earl was taken 187th overall in the 6th round.

I don't know six months makes that much of a difference.

Even if Valabik was taken a bit high, he was a consensus 1st rounder by most scouts and but definitely would of went above 40th overall in the worst case scenario. He has tremondous upside. A mean Chara-like defenseman with his 6'6'' frame.

Valabik is also half a year younger than both Earl and Vorobiev and has actually played in the WJC's.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Carl O'Steen said:
I'm not comparing the Leafs top 5 to anyone elses... just that Valabik isn't a great prospect... he went that high because of his size, as Frank Bonello said prior to the draft.

Every scout there was, along with the TSN draft panel consisting of McGwire, Burke et al said that Valabik, along with Meszaros, Barker and Smid were four defensemen that were consensus 1st rounders. Even if Valabik was a project, he would've been snatched up pretty early. 10th overall is a bit high but it is not a huge deviation.

On the other hand, if you think Earl and Vorobiev are better prospects then you're sorely mistaken.

They may become better prospects down the road but no way are they better if six months ago, Valabik went 10th overall, Earl went 187th overall and Vorobiev 157th overall.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Every scout there was, along with the TSN draft panel consisting of McGwire, Burke et al said that Valabik, along with Meszaros, Barker and Smid were four defensemen that were consensus 1st rounders. Even if Valabik was a project, he would've been snatched up pretty early. 10th overall is a bit high but it is not a huge deviation.

On the other hand, if you think Earl and Vorobiev are better prospects then you're sorely mistaken.

They may become better prospects down the road but no way are they better if six months ago, Valabik went 10th overall, Earl went 187th overall and Vorobiev 157th overall.

Drafted 10th overall or not, Valabik's not even one of the best defensemen on Kitchener. Matt Lashoff and Jakob Kindl are better and Andre Benoit is for that matter. If Valabik ws 6'2" 210, he would be playing on a low level Slovakian League team and would never have been drafted.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Peter James Bond said:
Drafted 10th overall or not, Valabik's not even one of the best defensemen on Kitchener. Matt Lashoff and Jakob Kindl are better and Andre Benoit is for that matter. If Valabik ws 6'2" 210, he would be playing on a low level Slovakian League team and would never have been drafted.

He has less than two dozen mediocre games this season and he's suddenly a bust? I don't think the 19 games insofar discounts his massive potential. He can easily develop into a solid 2nd-pairing NHL defenseman and has the potential to be a meaner albeit less offensive version of Chara. His downside is probably a #6 stay-at-home defenseman a la Cory Cross.

I don't think GMs and scouts were fools for passing on Vorobiev and Earl 187 and 157 times while nearly everyone considered Valabik a top 30 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad